[TAKEN DOWN] Super Mario Bros. SMBX Edition (SMB1 Remake) UPDATE

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Sapphire Bullet Bill
Blooper
Blooper

[TAKEN DOWN] Super Mario Bros. SMBX Edition (SMB1 Remake) UPDATE

Postby Sapphire Bullet Bill » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:50 pm

A faithful remake of the original Super Mario Bros. now in the comfort of SMBX!

STORY:
One day, the Mushroom Kingdom was invaded by the Koopa, a tribe of turtles capable of using powerful dark magic. Their magic was used to transform all the Mushroom People into inanimate objects such as rocks, bricks, and even horsetail plants, thus spelling the kingdom's downfall. Only the daughter of the Mushroom King, Princess Toadstool, can undo the spell and restore her people back to life, but she is being held captive by King Koopa himself. Mario hears of the princess's plight, and sets out on a quest through 32 stages to topple the Turtle Tribe and save the once-peaceful kingdom.
-Official Super Mario Bros. Manual

UPDATE NOTICE:
I have updated the previous version to polish off this remake. Any way you slice it, this is the superior version of SMB1 for SMBX. Countless changes have been made to make the experience an absolute treat.

Changes:
World Map has been changed inspired by Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for Gameboy Color.
Added a "New Quest". It's basically the 2nd quest, where all Goombas are Buzzy Beetles. In addition to it, the sun sets on the Mushroom Kingdom, and nearly all enemies move at 2x speed. This can be unlocked by completing the first quest.
Snow Levels have been moved up one block to match up with other levels.
Added proper underwater background.
Added proper backgrounds to 8-3 and 8-4.
Automated cutscenes have been removed to prevent unfair deaths.
Added title screen sequence.
Added a new credits sequence.
Fixed vine so you must hit the vine block before the warp sequence appears.
Flagpole has a moving Flag rather than an invisible SMW goal.

KNOWN ISSUES (Issues I'm not going to fix):
Starmans are not present. (SMBX 1.3.0.1 does not have starmans, so they are replaced with 10 coins.)
Seesaw Platforms stick to their positions. (SMBX 1.3.0.1 does not have proper seesaw platforms.)
You can scroll left. (As much as I would love to have "No Turning Back", there were far too many glitches that it would end up breaking the game.)
World Map Pipes interrupt Music. (This was the best I could get it. The world map is based on SMB Deluxe, so suck it up. It's not that big of an issue.)
World Map Path generates akwardly. (When a path is generating, sometimes it will skip a chunk and come back to it. It still works perfectly otherwise.)

NOTICE
I am purposefully taking this remake down as a response to my SMB2 remake getting taken down.

THANKS FOR PLAYING!

Super Mario Bros. SMBX Edition is not affiliated nor endorsed by Nintendo.
Super Mario Bros. and all levels, music, and content are copyright Nintendo, and remain property and company of their respectful owners.
Last edited by Sapphire Bullet Bill on Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 am, edited 6 times in total.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Super Mario Bros. SMBX Edition (SMB1 Remake)

Postby krakin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:45 pm

Why do I have a feeling it'll look like Super Mario Bros All Stars? And I kind of hoped that with two player mode that the camera would split screens when the two players get out of range, like a Mario game I played a while back.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:04 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote:And I kind of hoped that with two player mode that the camera would split screens when the two players get out of range, like a Mario game I played a while back.
But... it does and it even shows that in the trailer? The camera splitting is a feature in SMBX itself and so there'd be no reason for this episode not to have it.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Sapphire Bullet Bill wrote:If the 2.0 update ever comes out, I will potentially upgrade it.
You can already add the Starman NPC in the level editor in SMBX 2.0 Beta 3 and it will work aswell but be aware that the music as of what'll play is SMW Starman. There's a way to change it though.

Anyway, cool remake. Might gonna get it to play in the near future!

krakin
Birdo
Birdo

Postby krakin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:17 pm

Spinda wrote:
practicalshorty014 wrote:And I kind of hoped that with two player mode that the camera would split screens when the two players get out of range, like a Mario game I played a while back.
But... it does and it even shows that in the trailer? The camera splitting is a feature in SMBX itself and so there'd be no reason for this episode not to have it.
Well this episode's desc. said that the camera (zooms out)? Unless I misunderstood something there.

Sapphire Bullet Bill
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Sapphire Bullet Bill » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:16 pm

The camera is HUGE in Super Mario Bros. X. (For 1 player at least)
So, that means you'll have a bigger view than the original game.

And haven't you played SMBX? 2 Player is splitscreen.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:08 am

Playthrough made:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq2h4lXLzLA

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:27 am

So, a remake of the original Super Mario Bros. in SMBX? I've seen a few of these around, trying to add a spin to the original gameplay, but this one seems to be a more faithful recreation to the original, sporting the exact same level design, only just with features that weren't in the original game but are in SMBX. The spin-jump is one of them, but the world map isn't new and unique to this episode - Super Mario Bros. Deluxe used one as well. Also, your trailer is pretty funny, especially the ending.

Piotrix
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Piotrix » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 pm

Great Episode!

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Piotrix wrote:Great Episode!
How great is it? Why is it great? Please bring examples of what makes you think this episode is great.

IceFlower99
Bit
Bit

Postby IceFlower99 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:41 pm

EXCELENT
1.Perfect SMB Adaptation To SMBX.
2.Very Good Gameplay.
3.The Minus World Secret Boss Fight Is AWESOME!
Awesome Episode! This Episode Is Simple, But Very Great.
Personaly: 11/10

KorayD
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby KorayD » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:11 am

Hi there, I thoroughly enjoyed your episode and would like to give some feedback to you. The levels are really solid, but the overworld needs some work. I'd recommend that you look at "Valtteri Island" for inspiration in creating a more interesting overworld. Also, there needs to be a comma and a hyphen in the sentence: "Thank-you, Mario." If you could build on what you already have, this episode would be extremely solid.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:54 am

KorayD wrote:Also, there needs to be a comma and a hyphen in the sentence: "Thank-you, Mario."
No there doesn't. First, that's how SMB1 wrote it, and second, it's not correct grammar to put a hyphen between Thank and You.

KorayD
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby KorayD » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Super Mario Bros. was written by Japanese people who don't know proper English grammar, and there does indeed need to be a hyphen if you want it to be proper.

Native speakers are the authority of their respective languages, and you are Danish and say yourself that your English is bad. Now you are an expert on grammar? Don't make me laugh.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:28 pm

KorayD wrote:Super Mario Bros. was written by Japanese people who don't know proper English grammar, and there does indeed need to be a hyphen if you want it to be proper.

Native speakers are the authority of their respective languages, and you are Danish and say yourself that your English is bad. Now you are an expert on grammar? Don't make me laugh.
"Now, the phrase 'thank you' is indeed always written without a hyphen.

But when we transform phrases into nouns, we use (often) hyphens to indicate that those words belong together as a set phrase, and together they become a noun."
Source: http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... -thank-you
Basically, thank you with a hyphen means a noun form of it, like saying "a few personal thank-yous." In the context of "thank you Mario," it's improper grammar to put a hyphen, since the word thank is a verb there. So yes, Snessy is right. Don't be rude and call people out on their grammar if you don't know what you're saying.

...and another thing, is a grammatical error that minor really necessary to criticize in an episode? It would be different if the English was broken and unreadable, but it's understandable in this episode. Highlighting that kind of mistake is just really, really petty. You're supposed to be judging the episode itself, not hunting down every textual error.

arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby arcade999 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 pm

KorayD wrote:Super Mario Bros. was written by Japanese people who don't know proper English grammar, and there does indeed need to be a hyphen if you want it to be proper.

It's not because his English is bad that he cannot be right, and the please don't get rude.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:38 pm

I admit my English isn't the best but I at least know that thank you isn't spelled with a hyphen. Also, you don't seem to be an expert on grammer either.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Says the guy that put a hyphen in thank you

krakin
Birdo
Birdo

Postby krakin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:I admit my English isn't the best but I at least know that thank you isn't spelled with a hyphen. Also, you don't seem to be an expert on grammer either.
thehelmetguy1 wrote:Says the guy that put a hyphen in thank you
Can't we just ignore that guy and ponder at how good this episode is instead?

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:53 pm

I think it is better to do that. That guy is probably either a troll or a kid.
Now, the episode is great. I might try it without using the item slot and spinjumps, so it will be just like the original SMB

Return to “Episodes”