Off-topic discussion.
MacDuckBeat
Panser
Panser
Flair: Neon and edgy artist hehe
Pronouns: he/him

Re: F*** Nintendo

Postby MacDuckBeat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:35 am

Not trying to be smart@$% or something. My reaction is a bit upset when Nintendo is tooking down fangames. Is this because of active fangames that has a lot of updates and then get one day, it gets taken down?

Well yeah,I tried to explain it logically. A lot of fans wanted to make fangames from what Nintendo did. (Insert some good explaining text here). It's just surprising that it got taken down,and I'm not sure about the flash games counted as a "fangames".

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:22 am

The true upset is that actually "fangame" is just a somewhat deprecative term for games in its most elaborated and artistic forms ... SMBX and SM63 are worth to be seen as independent games, especially since the vast majority of Nintendo games doesn't have an LDing engine made by Nintendo.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:29 am

Snessy the duck wrote:If Nintendo takes down every single fangame there is, then tell me how MFGG has managed to survive for over 10 years. It's much more popular than things like PKMN Uranium, and it even got featured on TV once!
Mario FanGame Galaxy? On TV? What?!

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:36 am

Intuition wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:If Nintendo takes down every single fangame there is, then tell me how MFGG has managed to survive for over 10 years. It's much more popular than things like PKMN Uranium, and it even got featured on TV once!
Mario FanGame Galaxy? On TV? What?!
Super Mario Blue Twilight DX was on TV once, and MFGG was mentioned during that.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:40 am

Snessy the duck wrote:If Nintendo takes down every single fangame there is, then tell me how MFGG has managed to survive for over 10 years. It's much more popular than things like PKMN Uranium, and it even got featured on TV once! And if we look back at the things Nintendo have taken down in the past, we can see that they've been taken down for specific reasons. For example, AM2R was taken down because it was a remake of Metroid 2, which might have taken sales away from the game's virtual console release, and PKMN Uranium had some chrowdfunding behind it, so they were technically profiting off of Nintendo's work. So it's completely understandable that Nintendo took down these fangames for those reasons!
Blatantly just making a fan copy of an official game should be considered as an attempt to rip profits off the said company, even if the person who made it does not actually intend to make money, and so is making money off a fangame, so I can agree here.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 am

Well my thoughts on this subject is that even though yes, it's true, that Nintendo has every right to shut down fangames if they so choose to,
i feel like they really shouldn't do this, because it can make them look bad that their apperently scared that such a small game is going
to shut down their big company, while it is true that 1.5 million downloads is nothing to just put aside like it's nothing, Nintendo's offical
games sell way more than that with just one game, so i don't see why they should be scared about it.

I don't exactly understand why Nintendo couldn't be more like how Sega handles Fangames, Because Sega
on the other hand actually encourages Fangames and is fully aware of how many exist. They even have Fans making
the next offical sonic game!

About they using Nintendo's characters being "stealing" as snessy the duck said before, if this were the case, then how
did websites like MFGG And SMW Central Survive for so long? So it had to have been that they felt the game got too popular
and that's the reason why they shut it down.

sleepy
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby sleepy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:00 pm

Romhacks usually aren't taken down because they use the .IPS (atleast I think that's what it was) system. Handing out .IPS files isn't against the law as far as I'm concerned.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:36 pm

sleepy wrote:Romhacks usually aren't taken down because they use the .IPS (atleast I think that's what it was) system. Handing out .IPS files isn't against the law as far as I'm concerned.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
There was a NSMBW romhack made a couple years ago by the Newer Team called, Newer Super Mario Bros Wii. As far as I know, the website hasn't been taken down yet, because LPer's are still doing Let's Plays of it, and there's also another new romhack that they made called, Newer Super Mario Bros Wii: Summer Sun, which has also yet to be taken down by Nintendo. This is probably a sign that they're not that overly protective of their copyright when it comes to romhacks.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:26 pm

^
You are largely right about all that, although Summer Sun was actually released before the full Newer mod, as a sort of tech demo.

Sort of nitpicking, but Newer (and other such Wii game mods, such as Project M) is not a ROMhack, since it isn't a modification of a ROM but rather an ISO (disk image), and is usually played by temporarily patching the game using a real disk in the Wii.

sleepy
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby sleepy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:33 pm

Pseudo wrote:^
since it isn't a modification of a ROM but rather an ISO (disk image), and is usually played by temporarily patching the game using a real disk in the Wii.
That's what I was trying to get at, thanks.

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:00 am

They took down the E Reader patch for Advance 4 from RHDN so they at definitely have the option. I hope they leave them be though, there are some patches I have trouble playing without.

MacDuckBeat
Panser
Panser
Flair: Neon and edgy artist hehe

Postby MacDuckBeat » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:30 am

It sounds like I have search in Google that it tells "Why is Nintendo taking down fan games?".

Well there are some of good website has a good explanation.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:10 pm

I know I'm bumping an almost 4 year old topic at this point, but when you don't give a shit about people's mental health problems, then I think it is your fault, not mine, that a topic like this one has been dug up again.

https://youtu.be/aJmGIZZw-eY

Yikes, imagine favouring people taking their own lives over someone allowing using a word you trademarked on a custom controller. And that's not even mentioning the other dick moves Nintendo has pulled off (shutting down the Big House tournament, the cancellation of the Splatoon 2 livestream, going after Australian streamers etc).

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:22 pm

Yeah, I am boycotting them. They need to learn to actually respect their fans.

Also, more stuff: they took down videos of Smash Ultimate mods and they took down more of Gilvasunner's videos (they're arguably in the right for that one though, but it's still scummy since they don't release their music.)

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:01 am

Murphmario wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:22 pm
and they took down more of Gilvasunner's videos (they're arguably in the right for that one though, but it's still scummy since they don't release their music.)
From which games was the music in question from? Smash?

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:57 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:01 am
From which games was the music in question from? Smash?
  • Super Mario 64
  • Mario Kart series
  • The Legend of Zelda

SuperMarioGrava
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: The great dawn of death.

Postby SuperMarioGrava » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:33 pm

...Yeah, ok...

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:13 am

SuperMarioGrava wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:33 pm
...Yeah, ok...
Context or what is this referring to?

Lucario
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: A beginner Mario-level modder that also uses SMBX.
Pronouns: He/him/

Nintendo may be good, but it is not one of the best game companies

Postby Lucario » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:02 am

I saw a post cussing about Nintendo... So I bash a new post defending and attacking them at the same time.

Things they do right:
- Makes games better than some companies.
- Ok, I really can't think of nothing more...

Things they fail:
- Don't listen to their fans.
- Delete ROM Hacks.
- Make games tremendously easy without a Hard Mode.
- Makes incomplete games that you should give more money for the DLCs.

Seriously, they really SHOULD CHANGE that.

In Japan, copyright laws are awful and even if we use our USA (and in my case, Brazillian, and in other cases, Spanish, French or other languages) disclaimers, they'll never listen.

Nintendo was better then. Made complete games, Hard modes for easy games, fun and hard levels, didn't remove glitches that have no possibility ruin game experience... UGH! Nintendo ONCE was my favorite game company but now, I don't know what to say... :(

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:35 am

My take is that Nintendo is good at designing games but is a really shady company compared to Sega and Capcom when it comes to the business department.

Return to “Sandbox”