Off-topic discussion.
ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Re: F*** Nintendo

Postby ElectriKong » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Lucario wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:34 pm
Great point... Maybe extra-long DLCs aren't such a bad idea... But maybe, they could only update the games you buyed. They could add something $5 or $10 plus the original price, because of the updates, but anyway, just saying.
So you don't think people should have the option to not pay the additional price and not have the additional content? Also raising the prices of video games post release will only cause controversy.
Let's stop with the topic of hating on Nintendo, no one is perfect and Nintendo is runned by humans like you and me.
Not an excuse for bad business practices.
we are being a bit (and by a bit I mean a lot) ungrateful by talking bad about the hard-working Nintendo behind their backs.
It is not ungrateful to complain about the bad things a company does.
Some mod please close this topic.
No

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Lucario wrote:
Listen, I hate (Nintendo) as much as the next guy, but can't we members continue complaining though. :roll:

Wiimeiser
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: What?

Postby Wiimeiser » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:01 am

Crossposting this discussion based on this Ceave video. The basic gist is that Nintendo has banned acquiring abilities mid-game, and rewards. And me and one other person believe that's why Alphadream went bankrupt.

Found this on Alphadream's Wikipedia page:
On October 1, 2019, AlphaDream declared bankruptcy, citing sluggish revenues and high development costs, and being unable to keep up with growing debt (which as of March 2018 was over ¥465 million).
Debt, huh? A debt that Nintendo invented as a punishment, perhaps?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:32 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:01 am
On October 1, 2019, AlphaDream declared bankruptcy, citing sluggish revenues and high development costs, and being unable to keep up with growing debt (which as of March 2018 was over ¥465 million).
AlphaDream's games didn't sell well. No tinfoil hats here.

Wiimeiser
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: What?

Postby Wiimeiser » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:36 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:32 am
Wiimeiser wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:01 am
AlphaDream's games didn't sell well. No tinfoil hats here.
Now I remember hearing that their last... three I think, games didn't break even. Maybe I'm misremembering...

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:34 am

Lucario wrote:
Let's stop with the topic of hating on Nintendo, no one is perfect and Nintendo is runned by humans like you and me.
One must differentiate the Nintendo developers (designers, programmers, etc.) from the business department (e.g. lawyers)
I think that most people here appreciate the work of Nintendo developers as they make games that are universally enjoyable and certainly have a lot of thought put into them, even if one can have subjective gripes about a game's design choices. (like personally I think Mario Odyssey's collectibles are way too inflated)

However their shady business ethics are inexcusable. They abuse copyright laws and sometimes even cross the legal line, without offering modern alternatives.
  • They take down music videos without releasing their OSTs on Spotify or other platforms
  • They only make the most well-known classic games available and in a rather sloppy way on the Switch compared to the Wii U's Virtual Console
  • They make people pay for an inferior online service with a worse quality than the Wii U's free online connection from before
  • They take down fangames mercilessly
  • They hunt emulators and decade-old games even more mercilessly, even willing to delete rare games from the internet via purging their entire console lineup from a site full of decade-old ROMs (basically they don't just delete the Marios, Zeldas and Metroids, but also games that were made by 3rd party companies for Nintendo platforms)

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards

Postby ShadowXeldron » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:02 pm

I'm getting involved because I complain about Nintendo every single day. Mostly about Pokemon and Switch ports, but still. Rants ahead!

1. The Joycon thing was innexcusible. It literally required that you fork over cash to Nintendo anyway.
2. Switch Online actually uses Peer-to-Peer connections, which are done directly to connect to presumerably because Nintendo doesn't want to pay for any servers.
3. Speaking of NSO, NES and SNES online has a really tiny retro game library.
4. They rush games, despite the fact that Miyamoto famously said that rushing games ruins them. Just look at Pokemon Sword and Shield. While the Pokemon removal makes sense and should have happened sooner or later and the move animations are better in my opinion, a lot of the textures are a bit bad. I know that's partly Game Freak's fault, but Nintendo owns the IP of Pokemon and therefore does most of the licensing.
5. It seems that they really love Non-Disclosure Agreements. These are always a bad thing because they limit freedom of speech
6. Their mobile games have gone the way of loot crates. Although, that ius justified because Mario Run failed because F2P Sheeple think that freemium is free, and they were unhappy about having to buy a full version instead of just pumping out cash when they feel like it.
7. The Switch has a tiny hard drive - that is, a 32GB eMMc. 32GB is basically nothing, and "buy a microSD card" is a pretty poor excuse, even for something that is basically a phone without LTE internally. I know you don't need a whole terabyte and Switch games aren't huge in comparison to other platforms, but at the very least it should have 128GB.

I'm letting them off on the low difficulty factor, but a difficulty option would be nice because breezing though a game is boring. The Switch's low tech specs can be justified by the portable aspect as well.

Lucario
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: A beginner Mario-level modder that also uses SMBX.
Pronouns: He/him/

Postby Lucario » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:09 pm

Ignore my last post, I still have some rants.

1 - Let's cut some Pokémon since we don't have time! Who cares if the game was rushed? *sad sakurai quote noises*

2 - NO! We'll not just increase Pokémon's size for Dynamax! We have the textures for that! OG species will have to wait!

3 - Listening to fans? Why should we? (not talking about Sakurai cuz' he hears mostly his JP fans) Poképark 3 isn't a grea idea! What's Pokémon Conquest and Pokémon Ranger, if you need sequels for those unreleased games?

4 - C H A R I Z A R D *angry Maractus, Lumineon, Alomomola and countless other Pokémon noises*

5 - Super Mario Maker 2 doesn't need more items! People can live with troll levels!

Added in 32 minutes 28 seconds:
Electriking wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:13 pm
Lucario wrote:
Great point... Maybe extra-long DLCs aren't such a bad idea... But maybe, they could only update the games you buyed. They could add something $5 or $10 plus the original price, because of the updates, but anyway, just saying.
So you don't think people should have the option to not pay the additional price and not have the additional content? Also raising the prices of video games post release will only cause controversy.
Not an excuse for bad business practices.
we are being a bit (and by a bit I mean a lot) ungrateful by talking bad about the hard-working Nintendo behind their backs.
It is not ungrateful to complain about the bad things a company does.
No
lol I meant, the full game's price is original price + 10$. Nintendo could keep updating the game and DLCs should only make a small sidequest with a exclusive Legendary, more prizes, and not a full storymode like Crown Tundra lol

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:46 pm

The National Dex Drama was actually super annoying from the fan side in my opinion, there was such drama around it and still people did buy the game just like usual.

Third Point is a strong one, they are listening to their fans since some of the stuff we did get from them was actually requested by many (Going back to the Ridley Thing for Smash Ultimate)

Also last point, I never heard Nintendo saying that we can live with troll levels. There's millions of levels for Mario Maker 2 and they have some really well made ones, I don't see how people making troll levels would be an issue they have to solve.

Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: any

Postby Saltlord » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:18 pm

5 - Super Mario Maker 2 doesn't need more items! People can live with troll levels!
Mario Maker 2 did receive some huge content updates though. While they may not be as big as the ones in MM1, that's due to the fact that the second game's basegame simply isn't as barebones as MM1 was upon release.

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Luna » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:09 pm

Saltlord wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:18 pm
Mario Maker 2 did receive some huge content updates though. While they may not be as big as the ones in MM1, that's due to the fact that the second game's base game simply isn't as barebones as MM1 was upon release.
The first game's updates were much smaller, though.
But you're right, we could have lived without Mario Maker 2s updates, but I still don't know what they were thinking when they decided that the first game didn't need checkpoints at launch. Aside from those, I'd say Mario Maker 1s most important new items were keys because they finally added a way to create actual boss fights half a year after the game's release...

Minky Momo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Minky Momo » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:59 am

Dragon0307 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:02 pm
3. Speaking of NSO, NES and SNES online has a really tiny retro game library.
It probably because of the rights to several games has expired or having issues trying to relicense them. The only way probably to play the game is just download the ROM and emulator. See Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game gets cancelled on Wii Virtual Console when originally planned to be there. (Maybe I think this fact wouldn't little help either)

And here comes Nintendo fan's epic berserk button: "Super Smash Bros. Melee have ran into rights issues and Nintendo tried to cancel it."

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:30 am

A lot of good games on that service that aren't available can be bought on the eShop as well (I.E. the Mega Man and Castlevania games). It's not perfect, but it's something.

Minky Momo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Minky Momo » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:35 am

Murphmario wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:30 am
A lot of good games on that service that aren't available can be bought on the eShop as well (I.E. the Mega Man and Castlevania games). It's not perfect, but it's something.
But when how's the epic berserk button of every Nintendo fans else? Nintendo cancels Melee

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:03 pm

Calm down, we heard you saying that the first time.

Lucario
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: A beginner Mario-level modder that also uses SMBX.
Pronouns: He/him/

Postby Lucario » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:20 pm

This post is getting inactive... LONG LIVE THE NINTENDO HATERS (lol just kidding, I just wanna revive this post)!
Last edited by Panda on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: User was warned for this post.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:34 pm

Lucario wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:20 pm
I just wanna revive this post
Then maybe only do it if you have something to contribute to the topic, rather doing it for no reason?

Panda
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: 1453 worst year of life
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Panda » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:00 pm

This is a pretty interesing video. Does anyone have any thoughts?

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Splatoon 3: Side Order enthusiast

Postby krakin » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:53 pm

Is anyone else concerned with the "free updates" route some Nintendo games are taking?

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards

Postby ShadowXeldron » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:19 am

krakin wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:53 pm
Is anyone else concerned with the "free updates" route some Nintendo games are taking?
Yes. They're just launching them unfinished and thinking they can patch them up afterwards. Just look at what happened to Cyberpunk - It launched in a terrible state, and even after the updates the general public probably still think it's a terrible game. They're trying to push a live service model on titles that don't need it. Like Switch Sports for example - they bundled a peripheral with it that you can't do anything with until they push an update for it. This is some kind of mashup between "finish it later" and a live-service model, and don't get me started on the day-one patches - they couldn't be even bothered to apply the fixes to the gold master.

But, the free updates thing is nothing new for multiplayer games. Nintendo is, for better or worse, just late to the party.

Return to “Sandbox”