F*** Nintendo

Off-topic discussion.
JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Re: F*** Nintendo

Postby JupiHornet » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:20 pm

Like it or not, Nintendo has every right to do what they're doing if they believe it'll threaten their business.
This video does a pretty good job explaining it:

arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby arcade999 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:02 pm

I think Nintendo hate creativity of others, because the think they are the bests and no ones can can be better to do mario or pokemon things. :cry:

Its just my ponion so dont get mad if you dont agree.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:30 pm

arcade999 wrote:I think Nintendo hate creativity of others, because the think they are the bests and no ones can can be better to do mario or pokemon things. :cry:
Let me ask you something, do you truly think this is the case? In the end, we will never know for sure, but I don't think they are as egoistic as you think. Then again, it's their right to do whatever they want with their intellectual property, wether we like it or not.

arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby arcade999 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:27 pm

Intuition wrote:
arcade999 wrote:I think Nintendo hate creativity of others, because the think they are the bests and no ones can can be better to do mario or pokemon things. :cry:
Let me ask you something, do you truly think this is the case? In the end, we will never know for sure, but I don't think they are as egoistic as you think. Then again, it's their right to do whatever they want with their intellectual property, wether we like it or not.
Have you seen? :D There is a cute little text right underneath my main texte saying THATS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND TO DONT GET MAD IF YOU DONT AGREE WITH!! :evil: :evil: :evil: (ALSO ITS ITS NOT BECAUSE ITS THE INTELLECTUAL PROPRIETY OF SOMEONE THAT HE CAN PISS OF PEOPLE WITH, LIKE SEGA AUTORISE FAN THINGS, AND IT STILL IT INTELLECTUAL PROPRIETY!)
JupiHornet wrote:Like it or not, Nintendo has every right to do what they're doing if they believe it'll threaten their business.
Its not stealing; its FANGAMING! Its dangerously not the same thing! :ugeek:

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:38 pm

I'm willing to guess I'm about to get ninja'd any second now, but calm down. You may be entitled to your opinion, but I'm also entitled to my own. There is no need for capital letters and red font either.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:36 pm

arcade999 wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:Like it or not, Nintendo has every right to do what they're doing if they believe it'll threaten their business.
To make a fangame, you're taking artwork and characters made by other people and making a game out of them. So yes, you are technically stealing

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:48 pm

JupiHornet wrote:
arcade999 wrote:
To make a fangame, you're taking artwork and characters made by other people and making a game out of them. So yes, you are technically stealing
Are you still gonna call it stealing when fangames give proper credit? ex: All characters are property of Nintendo
ex: All sprites are property of their original owners
ex: Original score by Koji Kondo

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:52 pm

arcade999 wrote:
Although you have an opinion, you don't have to scream it at the top of your lungs. It's also Nintendo's stuff so what they say goes; they have veto power here. Whether you like it or not they'll do what they please and whatever opinion they have here is what goes. And I don't think that they hate the creativity of others. If so, why make Super Mario Maker? And really though, who cares about Nintendo's opinion. People still go on making ROM hacks of Pokémon and Mario that are pretty damn fun so even if Nintendo doesn't like or endorse it, who cares?

Also in response to practicalshorty014, if you steal something, who cares if you gave credit if you didn't have permission to take it in the first place

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:07 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:
arcade999 wrote: Its not stealing; its FANGAMING! Its dangerously not the same thing! :ugeek:
Are you still gonna call it stealing when fangames give proper credit? ex: All characters are property of Nintendo
ex: All sprites are property of their original owners
ex: Original score by Koji Kondo
If you take someone's term paper and hand it in, but you say "oh by the way this paper was made by my classmate," you'll still fail.
Here's another good video that discusses this:

onpon4
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby onpon4 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:12 pm

Copyright infringement is not technically stealing. It's technically competition which is not allowed. Copyright, legally speaking, is a legally enforced monopoly on a particular market (the market of copies of a particular work).

Terms like "stealing" and "piracy" to refer to copyright infringement and other unaothorized copying are propaganda terms made up by those who benefited from copyright shortly after it was introduced about 500 years ago. No one in their right mind would have ever used these terms to refer to copying a work before then, otherwise many people would have been "stealing" the Bible by copying and translating it so that its message could be spread.
If you take someone's term paper and hand it in, but you say "oh by the way this paper was made by my classmate," you'll still fail.
That's because the class assignment is designed to evaluate what you are capable of. That has nothing to do with whether or not unauthorized copying is "stealing".

onpon4
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby onpon4 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Here's another good video that discusses this:
That guy says no one understands fair use, but he clearly also doesn't. He completely ignores what is historically the most important factor to determining fair use, transformativeness, and implies that there are a set number of activities that are fair use, which is false (it's something for courts to interpret). He claims, for example, that a gameplay video with no commentary can't be fair use because it has no commentary, but this couldn't be further from the truth. Because it is a recording intended to show how the game is beaten, it is by its nature completely transformative, serving an entirely different purpose from the game being played.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:22 pm

onpon4 wrote:Copyright infringement is not technically stealing. It's technically competition which is not allowed. Copyright, legally speaking, is a legally enforced monopoly on a particular market (the market of copies of a particular work).

Terms like "stealing" and "piracy" to refer to copyright infringement and other unaothorized copying are propaganda terms made up by those who benefited from copyright shortly after it was introduced about 500 years ago. No one in their right mind would have ever used these terms to refer to copying a work before then, otherwise many people would have been "stealing" the Bible by copying and translating it so that its message could be spread.
That's because the class assignment is designed to evaluate what you are capable of. That has nothing to do with whether or not unauthorized copying is "stealing".
Thanks for the clarification. From both of you.

arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby arcade999 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:13 pm

JupiHornet wrote:
arcade999 wrote:
You dont nées to agree about what i Think, but i understand waht you mean, but they use the artworks to make an original game about a franchise they like , mots of the time for there lové of rétro gammes or just to be fun, not to make money.
Also i dont think they steal because most of the time they credits nintendo and warn players that its mot official. :ugeek:

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:03 pm

I can definitely agree with you. I think neither Milton Guasti, creator of AM2R, or the team behind the creation of Pokemon Uranium intended to create said games for any other purpose but to create their own original games according to what they believe would make Pokemon/Metroid games better. But here's the thing, keyword is "original", it's not original if the world and/or characters belong to someone else or an entity such as Nintendo. You may find what those people did fine, and personally, so I do, but in the end, it was rightfully taken down on copyright infringement regardless of the opinion of its fanbase.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:13 pm

arcade999 wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:
arcade999 wrote: Its not stealing; its FANGAMING! Its dangerously not the same thing! :ugeek:
You dont nées to agree about what i Think, but i understand waht you mean, but they use the artworks to make an original game about a franchise they like , mots of the time for there lové of rétro gammes or just to be fun, not to make money.
Also i dont think they steal because most of the time they credits nintendo and warn players that its mot official. :ugeek:
Like I said, it doesn't matter if you gave credit. It's still copyright infringement

arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby arcade999 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:20 pm

JupiHornet wrote:
arcade999 wrote:
JupiHornet wrote: To make a fangame, you're taking artwork and characters made by other people and making a game out of them. So yes, you are technically stealing
Like I said, it doesn't matter if you gave credit. It's still copyright infringement
You can think waht you want; its your opnion and its okay. :geek:

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:37 pm

arcade999 wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:
arcade999 wrote: You dont nées to agree about what i Think, but i understand waht you mean, but they use the artworks to make an original game about a franchise they like , mots of the time for there lové of rétro gammes or just to be fun, not to make money.
actually that's the law so???? not really an opinion

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:34 pm

arcade999 wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:
arcade999 wrote: You dont nées to agree about what i Think, but i understand waht you mean, but they use the artworks to make an original game about a franchise they like , mots of the time for there lové of rétro gammes or just to be fun, not to make money.
The law isn't an opinion

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:13 pm

arcade999 wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:
It is a fact, and the law. Also you guys probably need to look at the bigger picture. You only talk about Nintendo taking down fangames, which is definitely OK but I think we can draw a line where it becomes immoral. The problem lies in how Nintendo enforce the copyright laws, and this is also the case with a few other companies. There are actually third parties that actively rip Nintendo's profits but Nintendo don't take down their content. Why? Probably because these companies could take Nintendo to court and sue them. However, if Nintendo takes down a fangame, then they won't have to worry about anything. So it seems that they are trying to target the weak, rather than the threat.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:27 am

If Nintendo takes down every single fangame there is, then tell me how MFGG has managed to survive for over 10 years. It's much more popular than things like PKMN Uranium, and it even got featured on TV once! And if we look back at the things Nintendo have taken down in the past, we can see that they've been taken down for specific reasons. For example, AM2R was taken down because it was a remake of Metroid 2, which might have taken sales away from the game's virtual console release, and PKMN Uranium had some chrowdfunding behind it, so they were technically profiting off of Nintendo's work. So it's completely understandable that Nintendo took down these fangames for those reasons!

Return to “Sandbox”