[FINISHED] Xtravagant Mario - SMW Based Project

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

[FINISHED] Xtravagant Mario - SMW Based Project

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:12 pm

Howdy! I'm Yoshi. I'm new to the SMBX Forums, but I've been an avid SMBX user since 2014. I only just recently got back into it, and I've started a new project called Xtravagant Mario.
(Image courtesy of Crash-Static)

Story:
Spoiler: show
Mario and Luigi were having a glorious picnic with Princess Peach, Blue Toad, and Yoshi, when all of a sudden, dark clouds filled the sky. A storm started to brew. Then, overhead, an airship emerged from the sea of clouds. It was none other than Bowser's Doomship! Bowser hopped into his Clown Car, swooped down and grabbed Princess Peach and Blue Toad, and cackled as he and his ship made haste towards Dark Land. Then, a golden pipe rose from the ground. The two brothers, skeptical of the situation, thought that the golden pipe might lead to where Bowser was. Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi all hopped through the long pipe, in which they fell for hours. When they finaly came out the other end, they saw that a mysterious and extravagant land was laid out before them. Bowser had to be here. There was no doubt about it! It's up to Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi to go save Princess Peach!...and Blue Toad, too.
Before you play:
Xtravagant Mario is much more different than normal Mario games. It's SMW based, so the graphics and some powerups are reminiscent of that game. However, instead of having a world with a couple of levels and then a castle repeated about 8 or 9 times, the Areas you go through are one big gigantic level. While that makes the game short, the number of Areas and content within those Areas guarantees fun 'til the end!

The music used in this game will also be made with Super Mario World in mind. The instruments and sound samples will be exactly the same as what you hear in Super Mario World, but the music you hear is from a collection of not only Mario games, but other Nintendo and Non-Nintendo games aswell.

Each area has a unique type of powerup. For example, in Area 1, you could be trekking along and then all of a sudden, you see a Tanooki Suit! And..oh look! More Tanooki Suits! However, when you enter Area 2, Tanooki Suits are scarce. Instead, you'll find a new powerup, like Ice Flowers! Of course, all areas will have the standard Mushrooms and Fire Flowers, but to spice things up, there are added powerups to that count.
Areas:
Grass Land:
Pirate Land:
Spooks Land:
Factory Land:

Dark Land:
I don't want to spoil the surprise.

Playable Characters:
Mario
Luigi
Yoshi
Progress so far: 100%

DOWNLOAD:
If you have any questions/suggestions regarding this game, I'd love to hear them.

- Yoshi
Last edited by YoshiTheGreen on Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 15 times in total.

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Re: [BETA/DEMO/WIP] Xtravagant Mario - SMW Based Project

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:16 pm

I fixed the images. Apologies for the inconvenience! ^o^

ToadDan
Goomba
Goomba

Postby ToadDan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:17 pm

Where is my playable Toad I need answers

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:59 pm

ToadDan wrote:Where is my playable Toad I need answers
Blue Toad got kidnapped you fricking dingdong.
go back to playing sm4sh

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:17 am

I've got a couple of dumb questions...

1. Are the levels only going to have 1 checkpoint in them? If not, you should really consider using multipoints.lua. I hate to say this since I really like the episode, but SMB: A New Beginning is an episode that I like that has this problem, in case you want to see an episode that doesn't have other problems on top of that.

2. So the Areas are basically like one big level? Pardon me, but unless they shake it up (like having bosses in the middle, or not at all) it seems like a world turned into a level, like how Super Mario All Stars made the player play throughba consecutive world before allowing them to save. Not that that's bad, it's just a novel concept that I don't get.

3. Here's the dumbest one. Is it going to be like a Metroid/Zelda game, where you have to go back to the old levels and use a new ability to take an alternate route, or are you basically through with the Area once you beat it? I asked this because you seemed to be talking up how the Areas' size meant that they were fun, and it sounds quite enticing.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:55 am

The boos on the map have 1x1 pixels. Also, I think it would be a good idea to make the islands less square (What I mean is that you should try giving them different shapes). But otherwise, this seems like it has potential, keep on making!

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:25 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:I've got a couple of dumb questions...

1. Are the levels only going to have 1 checkpoint in them? If not, you should really consider using multipoints.lua. I hate to say this since I really like the episode, but SMB: A New Beginning is an episode that I like that has this problem, in case you want to see an episode that doesn't have other problems on top of that.

2. So the Areas are basically like one big level? Pardon me, but unless they shake it up (like having bosses in the middle, or not at all) it seems like a world turned into a level, like how Super Mario All Stars made the player play throughba consecutive world before allowing them to save. Not that that's bad, it's just a novel concept that I don't get.

3. Here's the dumbest one. Is it going to be like a Metroid/Zelda game, where you have to go back to the old levels and use a new ability to take an alternate route, or are you basically through with the Area once you beat it? I asked this because you seemed to be talking up how the Areas' size meant that they were fun, and it sounds quite enticing.
1 - There will be a checkpoint before the boss of each area, which might create problems as the difficulty curves up. I'll see about using multipoints, I've never really use LunaLUA so I'd had to read up on it.

2. Yes, they are one big level. There is a boss at the end of each area, and then after that you move onto the next one.

3. I might include that feature! That's honestly a pretty neat idea that I should incorporate. For now, maybe.

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:The boos on the map have 1x1 pixels. Also, I think it would be a good idea to make the islands less square (What I mean is that you should try giving them different shapes). But otherwise, this seems like it has potential, keep on making!
I don't mind spicing up the islands. I'll work as hard as I can to make this as good as I can get it to be! :D

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:The boos on the map have 1x1 pixels. Also, I think it would be a good idea to make the islands less square (What I mean is that you should try giving them different shapes). But otherwise, this seems like it has potential, keep on making!
I agree about the less-square islands, although tbh I think the boos on the map look fine

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:36 pm

PixelPest wrote:
I agree about the less-square islands, although tbh I think the boos on the map look fine
I myself think the Boos' look fine, but if Snessy The Duck wants I can fix that. I've already started fixing up the squares.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:06 am

I don't really see anything wrong with the boos. I know 1X1 pixels can clash because SMBX uses 2X2 pixels.

loop
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: i may be dumb but im not stupid!
Pronouns: he/him/they

Postby loop » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:42 pm

I like how it is, but some details bother me. Specifically, the small SMW Mario sprite you used.
I suggest you use this one. http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... 31&t=12415

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Jayce 777 wrote:I like how it is, but some details bother me. Specifically, the small SMW Mario sprite you used.
I suggest you use this one. http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... 31&t=12415
I'll start using them right away! Thank you for the suggestion.

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:18 am

I've decided that Area 4 shall be Factory Land. I have the first half of it already finished. After I finish the second half, I shall move onto Area 5 - Dark Land!
Also, if anyone sees any sprites of theirs that they've made in my SMBX Episode, please tell me so that I can credit you! I'm using a gigantic Graphics Pack that doesn't have the names of the sprite authors.

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:19 am

I've changed up the poster/teaser for the project. I was also considering putting up some of the game's music on YT so that people could check it out and give me some criticisms. I might start doing that this weekend.

BlazingZtar755
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby BlazingZtar755 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:37 pm

Curious, are all the "lands" a reference to Mario Party 2?
Cause Pirate Land was awesome.

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:37 pm

BlazingZtar755 wrote:Curious, are all the "lands" a reference to Mario Party 2?
Cause Pirate Land was awesome.
The names, yes.
The places in question? No.
(Also, thanks for the compliment!)

Hernan23Pro
Bit
Bit

Postby Hernan23Pro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Im definitvely downloading this!!!

(Sorry,but just SMW is the best game and style for me :V)

But i can ask you a question dumber than FanOfSMBX?

...What's the version of the map?looks like 1.3.0.1

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:49 am

Hernan23Pro wrote:Im definitvely downloading this!!!

(Sorry,but just SMW is the best game and style for me :V)

But i can ask you a question dumber than FanOfSMBX?

...What's the version of the map?looks like 1.3.0.1
Yay! Finally someone who appreciates SMW as much as I do!
I understand how revolutionary SMB3 was, but it's time for SMW to be in the spotlight!

For your "dumb" question, map as in episode? It's 1.3.0.1.

YoshiTheGreen
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby YoshiTheGreen » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:52 am

I've decided to replace the Yoshi I'm using right now with the Yoshi's Island variant. The style of the two may clash a bit, but I think it's okay considering Yoshi's Island is a sequel to SMW. I've also replaced Link with Yoshi from Yoshi's Island (idea courtesy of a friend) because I didn't like the way how I shoehorned Link into the plot at the last second. I'll likely re-write it.

Return to “Projects”