THE SMBX CLASSICS COLLECTION (VOLUMES 16-17)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Re: THE SMBX CLASSICS COLLECTION (VOLUME 3)

Postby Cedur » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 am

So, a couple of weeks ago, I reminded Knux that Return to Yoshi's Island had a couple of bugs (the project was abandoned and they only posted what they got done), and he gave me the quest to search and fix them. I didn't only add the missing star and looked for the castle levels that have no boss fight, I also added checkpoints and power-ups where they were needed to make the levels fairer in terms of difficulty.

Here's the changelog.

The bold lines are what I have missed out doing thus far, because I honestly still lack the experience. In short, I'm looking for a boss designer. PM me if you're interested and I'll deliver you the tweaked episode.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:34 am

Supershroom wrote:So, a couple of weeks ago, I reminded Knux that Return to Yoshi's Island had a couple of bugs (the project was abandoned and they only posted what they got done), and he gave me the quest to search and fix them. I didn't only add the missing star and looked for the castle levels that have no boss fight, I also added checkpoints and power-ups where they were needed to make the levels fairer in terms of difficulty.

Here's the changelog.

The bold lines are what I have missed out doing thus far, because I honestly still lack the experience. In short, I'm looking for a boss designer. PM me if you're interested and I'll deliver you the tweaked episode.
I think it would be a good idea to provide both the original episode (Except with the missing star) and the "Remastered" episode, since some people might wanna experience the original version.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am

The original episode is still available, you can add the missing star on your own, but why would you want to play something bugged? And there's nothing else actually changing.

Come on pls, somebody hit me up!

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:45 am

Supershroom wrote:The original episode is still available, you can add the missing star on your own, but why would you want to play something bugged? And there's nothing else actually changing.

Come on pls, somebody hit me up!
Because some people might wanna experience the original game for nostalgic purposes (With bugfixes and all that). This is kinda like what happened to SMB: Collaboration with mariogeek wanting to remove the bad levels, but got negative support for steamrolling over someone else's project. Also, I don't get what you mean with nothing else changing, looking at the changelog pretty much shows that you're trying to remaster the game or something (With new bosses and all!), and some people might wanna be able to easily download the original to experience the original classic (With bugfixes) rather than a remastered version, even if it's better. I think providing two seperate downloads would be a good idea, cause otherwise, you could risk killing off the classic that you wanted to revive.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:54 am

> adding power-ups or checkpoints where there was a lack of them, fixing cutoff occasionally, and toning down an unfair amount of difficulty at places where I died over and over
> adding hints and getting rid of things that are confusing or otherwisely unfair (e.g. the pit in Endless Cave Maze where I died because coins were placed seductively above it, and some secret exits that are cheaply placed underneath a pit)

It's still the original game and it feels like the original game, just without the bugs that made the play obnoxious here and then or even required direct fixing or else you can't complete the game 100%. Knux didn't ask me to remaster it. And as for the bosses, it's simply that there's Boom-Boom or a direct level exit where there's supposed to be a boss battle, because the people back then didn't get to complete it.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Supershroom wrote:> adding power-ups or checkpoints where there was a lack of them, fixing cutoff occasionally, and toning down an unfair amount of difficulty at places where I died over and over
> adding hints and getting rid of things that are confusing or otherwisely unfair (e.g. the pit in Endless Cave Maze where I died because coins were placed seductively above it, and some secret exits that are cheaply placed underneath a pit)

It's still the original game and it feels like the original game, just without the bugs that made the play obnoxious here and then or even required direct fixing or else you can't complete the game 100%. Knux didn't ask me to remaster it. And as for the bosses, it's simply that there's Boom-Boom or a direct level exit where there's supposed to be a boss battle, because the people back then didn't get to complete it.
I'd still count that as remastering the game, since there's a lot of changes made to the game to make it play better. But the thing I'm getting at is that it's NOT the original game, and some people who have a great amount of nostalgia of it might get thrown off by the changes made. I'd presonally suggest making a seperate download (or at least include them in the same package) for the original and remastered game, because then people could experience the original version for nostalgia while newcomers and oldies alike could also get enjoyment out of the improved version.

Knux
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: she/they

Postby Knux » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:02 am

Snessy, nobody is going to want to download and play through an unplayable game. It's just annoying. His alterations (greatly appreciated) do not ruin nor take away from the episode. And if you really want to play the original with bugs so bad then you could find it yourself.

arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby arcade999 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:27 am

Knux wrote:Snessy, nobody is going to want to download and play through an unplayable game. It's just annoying. His alterations (greatly appreciated) do not ruin nor take away from the episode. And if you really want to play the original with bugs so bad then you could find it yourself.
If they t'still avalibles, there is no reasons why you couldn't put them in your pack.

Knux
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: she/they

Postby Knux » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:16 am

arcade999 wrote:
Knux wrote:Snessy, nobody is going to want to download and play through an unplayable game. It's just annoying. His alterations (greatly appreciated) do not ruin nor take away from the episode. And if you really want to play the original with bugs so bad then you could find it yourself.
If they t'still avalibles, there is no reasons why you couldn't put them in your pack.
It would take up more space, but I could if enough people wanted that.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Knux wrote:
arcade999 wrote:
It would take up more space, but I could if enough people wanted that.
You could also provide it as a seperate download. That way, it wouldn't take up any additional space. Also, what I'm trying to say is that some might want to play the original just for the nostalgia factor, even if it's terrible, and it would be convenient to provide it anyway.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:12 pm

You're still not getting what Knux said. Anyway, at the latest once the Extravaganza is done, I'll tackle the rest myself if noone supports.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm just trying to say that providing the original episode in a seperate download would be a good idea. Granted, no one would probably ever want to play the original version, but it would be a good idea to have it easily accessible from this thread for convenience's sake, in case someone ever wants to download it so they don't have to seach it up.

FirestarPlays
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby FirestarPlays » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:54 pm

The download doesn't work.

MacDuckBeat
Panser
Panser
Flair: Neon and edgy artist hehe

Postby MacDuckBeat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:09 pm

FirestarPlays wrote:The download doesn't work.
It works for now when I click the link.

FirestarPlays
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby FirestarPlays » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:41 am

Huh...

FirestarPlays
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby FirestarPlays » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:41 am

Wonder what happened there...

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:07 pm

FirestarPlays wrote:Wonder what happened there...
The download link was probably fixed a while ago. Anyways, I'm hyped to play these and see what great levels everyone has made.

Kley
Edge
Edge
Flair: Robot

Postby Kley » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:26 pm

FirestarPlays wrote:Huh...
Do not make posts like this. Also, don't double post.

FirestarPlays
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby FirestarPlays » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Sorry for double posting, lol. >.<

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:06 am

So, how's the progress on the next volume going?

Return to “Episodes”