THE SMBX CLASSICS COLLECTION (VOLUMES 16-17)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Knux
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: she/they

THE SMBX CLASSICS COLLECTION (VOLUMES 16-17)

Postby Knux » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:43 pm

While Joey’s forum does offer a lot of episodes, the site has only been running since 2014, and many SMBX episodes released between 2009 and 2013 were never reuploaded.

The overall purpose of the SMBX Classics Collection is to find and preserve rare SMBX episodes and demos that are no longer available, or easily attainable to the public. In addition to this, shine a light on obscure and underated gems that have shown up over the years only to be overlooked or forgotten about. There are so many episodes I would love to play again but can't because they are virtually impossible to find, with some creators without their own episodes themselves.

Episodes are found, and most include an interview with the level designer themselves (which gives a great insight to our community history). Some even include previously unreleased levels and demos such as The Apocalypse of Foroze, and many more features. The general idea is to add a little bit more than just the episode folder, although in some cases this is not possible.

Past Volumes

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Episode or Demo?
Spoiler: show
Episodes in bold:

1. The Valtteri Island
2. The Apocalypse Of Foroze
3. The Great Empire Trilogy
4. 4masty's World
5. Super Mario Adventures
6. Pie Island
7. Kyasarin's World
8. Mario's Great Quest
9. Bowser's Brain Control Takeover
10. Knux World
11. Mario Vs. The Moonbase
12. The Golden Shrooms
13. Mario And The Hidden Land
14. SMB Revisited
15. Return To Yoshi's Island
16. Project Jumpman
17. Kingdom Crisis

I am always looking for more episodes to re-issue. If you have made an episode and would like a re-release, or happen to have a rare and hard to find episode, just send me a PM and we can discuss plans. Bonus points for bonus material.

I have uploaded PDF files in the past and there have been issues with it resizing, if so please tell me!

wiki page: http://www.smbxgame.com/wiki/The ... Collection
Last edited by Knux on Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:10 am, edited 25 times in total.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Re: THE SMBX CLASSICS COLLECTION (VOLUME 1)

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:55 pm

Hehe, this is great, Knux. Looking forward to more of these in the future.

Kley
Edge
Edge
Flair: Robot

Postby Kley » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Very resourceful. Can't wait to see the other highlights.

Tiger Festival
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Tiger Festival » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:13 pm

I hope there are plenty of episodes with Link as a playable character seeing he's my favorite character.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:02 am

Hey, this seems like a really good idea! It's cool that we're giving old and forgotten episodes time to shrine! I hope this is going to be a success!

Also, I remember an episode called "Knux's world" or something like that, and I don't know if you made it, but it would be very likely! I've played it, and I think that, despite being completely vanilla, it was a great episode that had a lot of creative ideas! Also, since the episode is super obsecure and not many people know of it, I think it would be a good idea to submit it here!

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:20 pm

^
Yeah, Knux did make that episode. I wouldn't say it's all that obscure.

RhysOwens
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby RhysOwens » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:33 am

Airship Attack is definitely something that should be here.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:10 am

RhysOwens wrote:Airship Attack is definitely something that should be here.
Airship Attack is easily accessible from the Episodes subforum. This topic is supposed to be for episodes from past SMBX forums that aren't so easy to access.

Knux
Nipper
Nipper

Postby Knux » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:54 pm

wow, 163 downloads already! thanks!

The next two episodes I plan on releasing aren't exactly hard to find but these downloads should contain a few demos and an alternative version of a well-known episode produced by yours truly ;)

pixelgegner
Spiny
Spiny

Postby pixelgegner » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:15 pm

I really liked it.. I'm also hopin for good old episodes which I do not already have...

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:57 am

So, I played a bit of Valtteri Island, and I can safely say I understand why people don't like it! The level design is really bad, and the ideas are overall not very well executed! I would play the revisited version over this any day! Also, is there any plans to release the original Mushroom Robbers?

John The White Yoshi
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby John The White Yoshi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:12 pm

While I'll admit that Valtteri Island is an SMBX classic, can I just say for the record, the episode is very difficult and oddball-ish?
1. There's a lack of a slowly increasing difficulty spike. Where most SMBX episode starts fairly easy, this one starts off with difficulty that you would see in World 4 of an official Nintendo game, increasing to about to World 6 difficulty only after 4 levels. Before you say, "It's only you/the episode", Return to Dinosaurland and The Mushroom Robbers were the same way. Specific levels were actually easier than levels that came before it. (Example: Glorious Grasslands was easier than the Forest of Chad.)
2. Level names had no logic or reasoning. Long story short, the level names didn't match the main gimmick of the stage. The level "Freezing Fields" had an ice theme, but most the level WAS A GHOST HOUSE. That doesn't make ANY sense. If you're going to name your level, give it a name that fits with the theme AND the gimmick if it has one.
3. Inconstant access to power-ups. In the first level, there was an easy access to power-ups, as one of the pipes was basically pumping out Super Leafs. But the second level only had 2 power-ups to find. Vetagable Valley had ONLY THREE, AND it was a long and tedious level. And it was only MUSHROOMS. Seriously, I recorded myself playing this game with MarioMan574, and it took me 16 minutes to beat this level. In my honest opinion, levels should only be not longer than 8 minutes. The only levels that should pass this limit are castles/final castles, not a simple grassland level based on Mario 2.

Well, there's my complaints on Valtteri Island. There are some good factors to the episode, like awesome GFX; custom made and rips, unique level design, and an awesome joke level. Seriously, Yoshi's Link Farm had me laughing but had an awesome design and concept. It's a joke level done right.

Overall, It's a good episode with some flaws. If you want a more challenging episode to play or you want to record you raging and looking like a dumbass, this project would work. However, you shouldn't play this with two players. I give Valtteri Island, a 7.01/10.

If that's any episodes you should in this, Knux, I recommend bossedit's Airship Attack.

Knux
Nipper
Nipper

Re: THE SMBX CLASSICS COLLECTION (VOLUME 2)

Postby Knux » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 pm

VOLUME TWO - THE APOCALYPSE OF FOROZE

Quill's 2013 episode Apocalypse of Foroze is the second in the series to be released. This edition features brand new content that hasn't been seen before as well as a few other cool stuff here and there.

In addition to the full episode, we’ve also included various archive material, with help from Wind and Quill:

- An all-new PDF document featuring a new interview and a look at the making of this episode with Quill himself.
- Two demos. One in which dates back to July 2009 and has never been released before, showcasing Quill's earliest levels.
- Original trailer.

DOWNLOAD HERE

I have uploaded PDF files in the past and there have been issues with it resizing, if so please tell me!

pixelgegner
Spiny
Spiny

Postby pixelgegner » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:03 pm

I greatly appreciate it! thanks for the upload.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:02 pm

Could you please upload the Bonus Material without the normal episode? Thank you.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:14 am

I can give you as303298's old episode as I have the removed world 3 levels.

RhysOwens
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby RhysOwens » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

What about Super Mario Enigmatic?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:31 am

RhysOwens wrote:What about Super Mario Enigmatic?
It's still easily available. It's a featured episode

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:46 am

I should also mention Return to Yoshi's Island, zephyr's first episode after TGCA, and Bowser's Brain Control Takeover, FallingSnow's episode, need to be added sometime. Those two are classic SMBX episodes, yet they're hard to find.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:23 pm

RhysOwens wrote:What about Super Mario Enigmatic?
Yeah, this thread seems to be reserved for super-old episodes from like 2014 or before that aren't easily available on this forum. Super Mario Enigmatic definitely doesn't fall into that category.

Return to “Episodes”