How to use SMBX's Online function to edit levels together.

Share guides you have written for SMBX, and related tools here.
DarkMatt
Banned

How to use SMBX's Online function to edit levels together.

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Two heads are better than one!
(I won't talk about any greater numbers because it sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.)

(With credit to bossedit8.)

You ever notice the Online tab in the editor and go, "the hell do i do with this?" Well, as someone who has tested it in its alpha stages, used it, and created levels with people, (thanks Deoxys!) I would know everything about marios it up with buddies. SO WHY AREN'T YOU?!?! DO YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS??!?
What Online CAN do:
==Allow you to cover for your partner's drawbacks and mistakes.
==GET THINGS DONE. If you don't have an idea for what's next, your partner might. You have a guy right here to brainstorm with.
==Put the level together faster. Two hands fill in all the technical details faster than one.

So editing with friends is the best way to get levels done, right? ...Well,
What Online CAN'T do:
==Share custom graphics with the people connecting to your server. They'll show up on the host's end, but not on your partners'. At least, to my knowledge this is not possible; no one has extensively tested this AS FAR AS I KNOW. (You MAY have everyone insert custom graphics directly into your their respective folders to bypass this, but back up the graphics folder first, because what you are doing is OVERWRITING THE DEFAULT GRAPHICS OF SMBX.) (What you can do that is much better is have a folder called your level's name where your level is located, dump all the graphics in there, and then give that to the people connecting to you. There's a couple of ways to bypass this problem, there's just no magic way to do it.)
==Test levels as you make them. Trying anyway will crash the editor tends to kill the editor faster than a speeding marios. If you wanna test it, you're going to have to save the level, disconnect, and test it offline.
==Be stable. There are some kinks and hiccups lying around in it, so it shouldn't be terribly surprising to have it break apart.

To me at least, the pros outweigh the cons, IF you know what you're doing. That's why this thread is here.

How to get Started!

Part 1:Copy mswinsck.ocx and miswinsck.oca to your C:\Windows\System32 directory. Online functions won't work properly without doing this. Damn it Joey. Having these in your SMBX folder should work. If, for any reason it doesn't, do this step and it'll work fine.

Part 2: You need to connect to each other. In case you're both dumb and you don't know how hosting a server works, you can always use Hamachi. If you are also too dumb to figure out how to work Hamachi, open up the following spoiler to get a 1 minute instruction manual:
Spoiler: show
1. Install Hamachi.
2. Fire it up.
3. Click Network and then Create New Network.
4. Give it a name and a password. I highly recommend you password it so random hicks don't join.
5. For those joining, hit Network and then Join Existing Network.
6. Ensure that you and your network is online by confirming that Hamachi's power icon is yellow and the dot next to your server name on the list is green.
7. To connect to your host through hamachi, right click his name and hit "Copy IPv4 Address". This will give you his Hamachi IP which you can then enter into SMBX.
8. Congratulations! You can Hamachi worth half a damn.
Part 3: Start up SMBX, open up the Online menu, and hit Start.
-For the host, all he has to do is open up the online menu in SMBX, set the mode to server, and then hit connect.
-For his partners, get the IP of your host, set the mode to server, and input his IP into the Remote IP Address box of the Client Settings.
Make sure to set a nickname and a glove color before connecting! If all goes well, you should now see 2 gloves on the level editor.
-Open up the chat window in the Online menu to communicate with eachother. Or use whatever you want.

With all that done, you're ready to do whatever. But wait, there's more!

Trainer Tips!

-Work together! Talk about what to put! The two of you will grow not just as friends, but as level designers if you share your notes with eachother.
-DO NOT MAKE A RANDOM POST IN A PUBLIC THREAD ADVERTISING YOUR HAMACHI NETWORK OR IP ADDRESS. If you are not using Hamachi to simulate a local network, your IP address is THE ADDRESS OF YOUR COMPUTER ON THE INTERNET. I REPEAT, DO NOT SHARE YOUR NETWORK INFORMATION IN PUBLIC.
-I think fill is disabled? If it isn't, I'd advise against using it online.
-It's probably better to fill out the base makeup of the level first. If you get stuck, you can always just go back and put in details while your partners figure it out for you.

In closing,

If you know any details you know of about online, let me know. I know there's some things I'm missing and I need to add them to this post.

And that's it. Hope this guide helps!
Spoiler: show

NOW GET TO WORK!

Last edited by DarkMatt on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Re: How to use SMBX's Online function to edit levels togethe

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:10 pm

You can actually test... not that it usually stays stable past one minute.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:12 pm

I'd like to have all tutorial threads on Help and Support so I'll move it here.

This is a great tutorial. Having created a good bunch of levels with my friends using the online function myself, I can confirm that all of this is true. Also, the custom graphics do not work for users other than the host, not even if they save the level in a location with those graphics, so you have to work around that problem.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Say, I've always wondered, what's the point of choosing a character if you're not supposed to test online?

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:21 am

This is a good tutorial. Thanks, DarkMatt (also welcome, I don't see to remember seeing you around here yet).

I've never actually tried to use SMBX online myself. A fully functioning version would probably be in my top priorities for SMBX 1.4 (not that I ever think that's going to happen, I know).

Melting Terminal
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby Melting Terminal » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:43 pm

When me and my friend are trying this, it simply results in an error saying that mswinsck.ocx is missing.
We fixed it now, excited to see if this actually works. It would definitly make level designing more intresting.
Last edited by Melting Terminal on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm

I don't think this was mentioned in the guide (I'll edit it), but you have to copy mswinsck.ocx and miswinsck.oca into your C:\Windows\System32 directory.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Joey wrote:I don't think this was mentioned in the guide (I'll edit it), but you have to copy mswinsck.ocx and miswinsck.oca into your C:\Windows\System32 directory.
Redigit changed that for the 1.3 update. The files can be in the same folder as smbx.exe.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Why is this the first time I'm hearing about that?

I could've sworn you still had to move them. That's what I've been doing for the 3 times I've played SMBX online in the past 3 and a half years.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:25 pm

Joey wrote:Why is this the first time I'm hearing about that?

I could've sworn you still had to move them. That's what I've been doing for the 3 times I've played SMBX online in the past 3 and a half years.
It works both ways. I personally don't have to move the files.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:15 pm

I wonder: why DOES online crash if you test the level?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:58 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:I wonder: why DOES online crash if you test the level?
most likely due to desync

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Desync? How do I insure against that?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:18 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Desync? How do I insure against that?
either have a very, VERY good connection to your partner or look into the source code and improve the online part

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:26 pm

How do I improve my connection? I CAN test with Danny and MECHDRAGON777, but it glitches and crashes after about a minute. How do I improve these results?

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:45 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:How do I improve these results?
Pretty much nothing. You can't do anything with it. And if you still complain then it is leading you into bad desicions because SMBX Online is still in the beta.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 pm

I haven't had too many problems with testing online. Sure, it's slow and buggy, but I'm not sure I remember it crashing.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:26 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:How do I improve my connection? I CAN test with Danny and MECHDRAGON777, but it glitches and crashes after about a minute. How do I improve these results?
Running SMBX as an administrator, and setting its process at a high priority can help with some glitches. But you should look into your internet upload and download speeds to be sure if SMBX is the problem or the connection.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:17 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:You can actually test... not that it usually stays stable past one minute.
I've tested online just fine

D4rknova
Rex
Rex

Postby D4rknova » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:35 am

For those who also need help, download a MSWINSCK.OCX file. Then drag it into SysWOW64. Then go to command prompt and run as administrator and type in regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\MSWINSCK.OCX. It is caps sensitive so if your MSWINSCK.OCX is lowercase like this: mswinsck.ocx then you have to put mswinsck.ocx with lowercase when typing into the command prompt. This works for registering all .ocx files. this is for windows 8 users

Return to “Guides”