Level Intro (Get your Level Template here)

The hidden forum for The Invasion 3 development discussion.
Red Yoshi
Koopa
Koopa

Level Intro (Get your Level Template here)

Postby Red Yoshi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:17 pm

TI3 Designers,
I've been working on a new and improved version of the level intro.

Level Template: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kwr7w0sildwd ... 2.zip?dl=0

FAQ
How does it work?
Spoiler: show
Version 1.0 used background objects, player placement and warps to have all that neat effect of intro.
Version 2.0 uses 2 npcs (Curtains replaces Mother Brain and Title replaces Sonic Rings) in a layer each and 5 events:
Layers: Level Curtains and Level Title
Events:
Level - Raise Curtains
Level - Slow Curtains
Level - Slow Title
Level - Title Out
Level - Curtains Out

An axe with a Death event [Level - Raise Curtains] is placed behind Player 1;
Player movement is disabled, and the curtains go up at a speed of -10 at Y axis for 0.7 seconds;
Then the curtains are slowed to -0.75 for 0.5 second (In that part the title of the level is shown), then the player movement is re-enabled and the title starts going up at a speed of -1 for 0.7 seconds;
After that, the player should already be concerned about the level, the title goes out at a speed of -6 and the curtains go out at a speed of -3.
Is it possible to change the graphics of the curtains? Can I?
Yes, it's way way easier now to change it overall, as the intro is composed by 2 NPCs only, it should be really fast to do so.
But ask Valtteri or me about that beforehand.
I don't like the new Title Board!
Don't worry, that's just a placeholder to test the title, me and Valtteri discussed about this already. We're gonna have a custom board with themes: Grassy Board for grassland levels, Sandy Boards, Rocky Boards and so on
Got any questions?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: Level Intro (Get your Level Template here)

Postby PixelPest » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Similar to the title, it might work to vary the colour (and maybe even the shape) of the curtains depending on level/world. I think it would be interesting if there were different curtain graphics for different level types. (Example: Overworld levels, underground levels, subcon levels, water levels, castle/dungeon levels, and airship levels could all have different colours and maybe styles, such as spiked ends instead of rounded ends for levels with bosses or something like that)

Red Yoshi
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Red Yoshi » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Yeah, I experimented using an iron fence in a dungeon level and it was really cool, all designers are free to do whatever with this intro, just ask Valtteri for pemission on this too.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:25 pm

I like the look of the new one better than the old one, and since you de-complicated it too, it sure is more useful in the future. :-)
What I like to ask is, will you update the intros of the old levels with this one? I guess it would be strange to have two different intro-versions throughout the game.

Return to “The Invasion 3”