The Restoration (little update!! New check-points and more!!!)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Re: The Restoration (Some errors fixed!)

Postby ElectriKong » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:46 pm

I guess I will have to wait and see what happens when I get to the boss myself but it looks absurdly easy in Enjl's for what you guys are making it out to be.

BowserKoopa22TM
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby BowserKoopa22TM » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:54 pm

some of the Levels hurt my eyes. IT's a great episode, no doubt about that, but the palette used is just a strain to look at

FirestarPlays
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby FirestarPlays » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am

ok thanks! :) I need to git gud at SMBX and I know that, lol.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:18 pm

BowserKoopa22TM wrote:some of the Levels hurt my eyes. IT's a great episode, no doubt about that, but the palette used is just a strain to look at
Thanks for your comment! Could you please give me an examples? It's nice because I can take more attention in the next time! ;)

@Bossedit8: Thanks for the videos, I really appreciate them :D

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Don't get me wrong, your decoration in your levels is for the most part fantastic throughout this entire episode. It's clear you put effort into it.

However, as I'm watching bossedit's playthrough, I'm finding myself increasingly disappointed. There are specific times where you make bad design choices on a basic level. Your levels have little to no creativity in them outside of how they look. There's little flow. I think your levels or even worlds need to have a set gimmick that you capitalize on and explore to help make your levels and episode more memorable.

And while I agree that Enjl tends to get a little unfair towards you and Camacho's content, he's not completely wrong. I've seen you in this community for years now and I feel like your design has stagnated. Every level I play or see anymore just crawls with missed potential. If you'd like to talk more about this, feel free to DM me.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 pm

TLtimelord wrote:Don't get me wrong, your decoration in your levels is for the most part fantastic throughout this entire episode. It's clear you put effort into it.

However, as I'm watching bossedit's playthrough, I'm finding myself increasingly disappointed. There are specific times where you make bad design choices on a basic level. Your levels have little to no creativity in them outside of how they look. There's little flow. I think your levels or even worlds need to have a set gimmick that you capitalize on and explore to help make your levels and episode more memorable.

And while I agree that Enjl tends to get a little unfair towards you and Camacho's content, he's not completely wrong. I've seen you in this community for years now and I feel like your design has stagnated. Every level I play or see anymore just crawls with missed potential. If you'd like to talk more about this, feel free to DM me.
Don't worry, all criticism are welcome! I know about this, if you see my levels now are different, the big problem of this episode is because I've made it since 4/5 years, based in the design of these years, in these times the design were very apreciated, but today isn't because now the community have other design and better criativity. My big error was I have delayed this episode. I really understand you think this episode is tedious ( everyone can see it because some levels are greats, and others are normal/simple). In the next time, I'll to do others better levels. I was learned it since I've posted this episode. You know too because your design were the same in the other times.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm

It's not that today's standards would be very different from a couple of years ago. According to Enjl and others it's that since many of these levels, e.g. the ones for contests, are just too repetitive and similar with each other.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Supershroom wrote:It's not that today's standards would be very different from a couple of years ago. According to Enjl and others it's that since many of these levels, e.g. the ones for contests, are just too repetitive and similar with each other.
You can believe that the standards are so different now! (I'm not criticizing it, the today's standards are most creative and fun). About the contest levels in the episode, I know was a error, but "in the old days" I never thought this would be a problem. These aspects are interesting, because now I know to deal ;)

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Shinbison-Kof wrote:
Supershroom wrote:It's not that today's standards would be very different from a couple of years ago. According to Enjl and others it's that since many of these levels, e.g. the ones for contests, are just too repetitive and similar with each other.
You can believe that the standards are so different now! (I'm not criticizing it, the today's standards are most creative and fun). About the contest levels in the episode, I know was a error, but "in the old days" I never thought this would be a problem. These aspects are interesting, because now I know to deal ;)
As pointed out in the Grand Extravaganza, the episode is more of a glorified level pack than a game. The levels look nice, and are good, but they don't really have much to do with the previous or next level, which if it was more of a game, that would be the case.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

I'm not buying the argument of "the standards have changed". Since this episode was created over the course of 4/5 years, I would expect the design philosophy within the episode itself to also shift over time or at random, to reflect what was going on in the community at the time. It does... the complete opposite.... I think. How old is the level "Squish Whales"? How old is "Tribal Moonlight Transition"? Those levels are polar opposites imo and Squish Whales fits into modern design while Tribal Moonlight Transition looks like an attempt to amaze the community back in 2011, but I'm pretty sure TMT is a new level and SW is very old.
Either way, detour aside, I'm happy that you're taking all this feedback into account for your future work. My theory as to why all these levels are so similar is because you never got enough feedback while developing this game, causing your design in itself to never advance beyond what it once used to be. I'm looking forward to seeing a level from you in the Extravaganza and how you're taking all this feedback ito account to create something awesome and memorable.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:23 am

Enjl wrote:I'm not buying the argument of "the standards have changed". Since this episode was created over the course of 4/5 years, I would expect the design philosophy within the episode itself to also shift over time or at random, to reflect what was going on in the community at the time. It does... the complete opposite.... I think. How old is the level "Squish Whales"? How old is "Tribal Moonlight Transition"? Those levels are polar opposites imo and Squish Whales fits into modern design while Tribal Moonlight Transition looks like an attempt to amaze the community back in 2011, but I'm pretty sure TMT is a new level and SW is very old.
Either way, detour aside, I'm happy that you're taking all this feedback into account for your future work. My theory as to why all these levels are so similar is because you never got enough feedback while developing this game, causing your design in itself to never advance beyond what it once used to be. I'm looking forward to seeing a level from you in the Extravaganza and how you're taking all this feedback ito account to create something awesome and memorable.
You theory have some correct aspects!
I understand, while I did this episode, I thought would be a problem if the levels "doesn't have" the "same design", because it could seems that the episode had different designers, but now I know this weren't a problem. While I did this episode ( again the same phrase), I thought this would be great, I didn't had beta testers, and the people judged it through the screens or some demos. When I've percepted, the episode was completed, and delete some levels weren't a good idea for me. Now with luna is more easy create new gimmicks I guess, because make differents gimmicks for 80+ levels isn't easy ( I know this isn't a really good argument). The most important is now I know make different levels ( my level of the japanese contest have a different design and gimmicks). Would be nice too if you say some positives aspects of this episode, because I can learn with postive and negative aspects. ;)
About the new contest in the forum, I'll try make a good level...no pressure please. xD

Off: I understand do you don't like tribal moonlight, but if the level isn't good, why it won the contest with the biggest score? ( Relax, I know I can't use the same gimmicks in the others levels again and I respect your opinion). ><

Maybe, I'll later post a list of the levels with my design "most current" of this episode ( level with good gimmick and design I guess...for example, Squishy Whales is most current)

Thanks again for your feedback!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 am

Shinbison-Kof wrote:Squishy Whales is most current
Woah neat. Then discard my previous comment on how the episode seems to do the opposite.
Shinbison-Kof wrote:Off: I understand do you don't like tribal moonlight, but if the level isn't good, why it won the contest with the biggest score? ( Relax, I know I can't use the same gimmicks in the others levels again and I respect your opinion). ><
I looked at the contest topic and it seems like all the judges were wow'd by the visuals and didn't care to examine the level in further detail about how intuitive and focused the design is. Chad for example praised the springboard jump when he should've been questioning why it was used only once and the concept not expanded upon.
Shinbison-Kof wrote:Would be nice too if you say some positives aspects of this episode, because I can learn with postive and negative aspects. ;)
My positive arguments would essentially boil down to moments where the opposites of my negatives apply. I like levels like the level in world 1 with the generating platforms, ninjis magic forest and squish whales because of their more focused design and overall more linear structure. Of course, even those can be improved upon by taking a look at how 4 step design works in greater detail, but they're a good start and have some personality to them.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Shinbison-Kof wrote:ping
half of the screens got eaten by Photobucket. Can you please reupload all of them on Imgur? thanks

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 am

Cedur wrote:
Shinbison-Kof wrote:ping
half of the screens got eaten by Photobucket. Can you please reupload all of them on Imgur? thanks
Unfortunately this happened... maybe when I have more time, I'll do it! (Maybe I don't have these screens in my computer)

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:51 am

Time to record this upside-down while I wait for Lowser's Conquest Beta in a few hours.

Edit:
[/youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWUBUTkqC8[/youtube]
Last edited by MECHDRAGON777 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 am

Psuedo wrote:How do you report Posts?

Code: Select all

Delete this post.
Reason: Accidental post.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:10 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Time to record this upside-down while I wait for Lowser's Conquest Beta in a few hours.

Edit:
[/youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWUBUTkqC8[/youtube]
Lol, it's funny and strange though XD

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:21 am

Is it really that funny? How is it strange?

Return to “Episodes”