EnderTnt's Level Station [Ft. Finally a finished level]

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
EnderTnt
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

EnderTnt's Level Station [Ft. Finally a finished level]

Postby EnderTnt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Hey guys, you may know me from numerous projects in that forum, but I'm relaxing a bit on that front; so I'm going to make singular levels in the mean time!

Wood Boost Pls Ignore the name
Spoiler: show

Yogi_Bear
Bit
Bit

Re: EnderTnt's Level Station [Ft. Finally a finished level]

Postby Yogi_Bear » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Very unofficial review of "Wood Boost"

This level started off kind of interesting, the first section being vertical gave it something semi-unique right off the bat, and the all wood theme was nicely done. Then I left the tree, and found the visuals of the level got worse after that. the YI background, and the music (ill get to that in a minute) and the fact there was ground (I thought I was high up at first), and the layout (you can skip half of it by jumping to the right from where you first leave the tree) none of it worked together well in my opinion. Then you go into a cave, which was fine, and some pictures give you a hit to what comes next. First off, the pictures in themselves arent a bad idea, but putting them 'floating' in the air didnt look good in my opinion. I liked the Cave section all-in-all, I thought the moving platforms were nice and the underwater part was fun. The other direction felt a bit rushed, and the water at the bottom unnecessary (since you die anyways, as you cannot swim in this section) I do have to give you credit for the 2 different paths, though. Perhaps making one Boss more difficult by adding uneven terrain would help though, since the two bosses play the same. The music choice felt odd too since the level uses some very unique custom music, then suddenly it changes to SMW boss music, which is a very different style. The music also started to sound bad when the saw sound effect was happening as well, since the music is already complicated the saw noise kinda ruined it. Nothing you can really do about that since the Saws were a neat part of the level, besides change the music.

All said and done, I'd say this gets a 3.5/10

EnderTnt
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby EnderTnt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Yogi_Bear wrote:Very unofficial review of "Wood Boost"

This level started off kind of interesting, the first section being vertical gave it something semi-unique right off the bat, and the all wood theme was nicely done. Then I left the tree, and found the visuals of the level got worse after that. the YI background, and the music (ill get to that in a minute) and the fact there was ground (I thought I was high up at first), and the layout (you can skip half of it by jumping to the right from where you first leave the tree) none of it worked together well in my opinion. Then you go into a cave, which was fine, and some pictures give you a hit to what comes next. First off, the pictures in themselves arent a bad idea, but putting them 'floating' in the air didnt look good in my opinion. I liked the Cave section all-in-all, I thought the moving platforms were nice and the underwater part was fun. The other direction felt a bit rushed, and the water at the bottom unnecessary (since you die anyways, as you cannot swim in this section) I do have to give you credit for the 2 different paths, though. Perhaps making one Boss more difficult by adding uneven terrain would help though, since the two bosses play the same. The music choice felt odd too since the level uses some very unique custom music, then suddenly it changes to SMW boss music, which is a very different style. The music also started to sound bad when the saw sound effect was happening as well, since the music is already complicated the saw noise kinda ruined it. Nothing you can really do about that since the Saws were a neat part of the level, besides change the music.

All said and done, I'd say this gets a 3.5/10
Fair enough, I knew it wasn't going to be too good. I might actually just make a huge level focused on the inside of the tree and just treetops. I'll find a better background anyway, YI looks really annoying to me with SMB or SMW. Thanks for the feedback though, just what I wanted. I'll probably make a Wood Boost 2, rather than change it up; as having a bad start to look back on, makes you feel good when you have a lot better levels later.

Yogi_Bear
Bit
Bit

Postby Yogi_Bear » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:46 pm

EnderTnt wrote:I might actually just make a huge level focused on the inside of the tree and just treetops.

That sounds good, I'll definitely play it when it comes out!

Return to “Levels”