Ness's Level Railway [MFGG#1 Entry]

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.

Should I archive my 2015-2018 levels onto a drive?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:20 pm

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0
Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Ness's Level Railway [MFGG#1 Entry]

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:40 pm

A collection of levels throughout my years in the community. Ranging from old infamies like "A Dangerous Diner", to new hits like "Garden of Bunbun" and "Arnsono." Every level released in 2019-2022 requires SMBX2 beta 4. Those released earlier can all be played on SMBX2 beta 3. Any level from 2023 onwards can be played in SMBX2 beta 5.

Archived Railyard (2015-2017):
2015 levels
Spoiler: show
A Dangerous Diner (CC11, 71rst place 3.66/10):
Development: June 25th - June 28th, 2015

Desc: Behold, my very first level ever publicly released! Unless you want some good laughs, I don't recommend this. The most iconic part of the level is at the final boss. "Hey, you found my secret hideout!" (updated to be easier than throwing bombs). Still, this one is trash overall.
Rotten Orange Candy Corn(Icy):
Development: September - October 4th, 2015

Desc: My second-worst level made, and it's a complete eye burner. Don't even bother looking at the screenshot if it hurts your eyes. The music is copyrighted in both of the two sections that are the only ones that make the level this, the boss is horrible, and the waterfalls... Uh
A Land Between Time:
Development: October 20th - November 30th, 2015

Desc: I'm only satisfied with this one because I could just replace the bosses and learn Lua to remake this level. This came to mind when I thought of time travel. Note that the level is very long and focuses on quantity over quality. Including the Valtteri and Marina boss, time travel power-ups music, etc.
2016 levels
Wasabi Find (Turtwig's music contest 3, 1rst place 7.383/10):
August 16th - September 16th, 2016

Desc: Why I wasn't really interested in the development, but I knew I should've tried it anyway, and it got a score of 7.383/10! It's based on my own ideas, friendly Buzzy's to swarming Cheep Cheeps and single bouncing Fire. You'll need Lunalua for some of the graphics and the Bullet Bills, and maybe a bit longer than three minutes.
Return To Diner Island:
Development: July 30th - August 7th, 2016

Desc: A complete redo of my very first level that was originally in Mix World 3. It was made through a copy of the original lvl file. Ninten is now the main last boss, Villager isn't much of a threat as bombing is a boss rush thing... Credit to Sednaiur for making such a lovely tileset, it's one of my favorite tilesets. This level will need Lunalua for the boss and the Mushrooms falling into lava.
Postgame Chapter Promo 999 (Funky Fresh Contest 4th Place)
Development: April 23rd - June 20th, 2016.

Desc: Please, don't play this if you wish to stay happy. No seriously, it's a joke level bad mixing, broken graphics, and copyrighted music. How did I think "Hey, I'll dress up as Ninten so I can walk into the woods so Mario can save me?!" was a good idea is beyond me. You have been warned!
Some Short Desert Mixed level (SVLC, Friday the 13th place 6.22/10):
Development: March 2016?

Desc: My first level to score over a 5/10! This level is all over the place with smb3 stuff and contains switch block bombing (not in the original). The title is self-explanatory and the level is very easy. I don't know how the hell Wraith got lost while playing this lmao.(Cherubi score FTW). RIP Ghost/Grass level...
Blood Red Candy Corn (City):
Development: Feb 2016 - April 22nd, 2016

Desc: This Kirby level was originally made for the Nintendo crossover contest, but wasn't done on time. It got transferred over to Yoshibro's 4th Dino Contest, but he left. The level was also going to be part of Mix World 3. A level with Kirby's enemies in a boiling dystopian civilization. Contains a mid-boss and a boss, also credit goes to the original creator of the tileset(s).
2017/LCJ Train:
Average development span: November 28th, 2016 - February 27th, 2017

Damnaer prei development: November 28th, 2016 - February 12th, 2017.
Desc: Well, the level takes place in a wild, free atmosphere and continues in the same world where "Wasabi Find" occurred. The level is brief and changes its atmosphere at times. Nevertheless, some of it is inspired by Cambodia. The music is the Winntou theme and uses switch blocks. Relax and enjoy your time at this level.

Toad's Christmas Medley development: December 1st, 2015 (Scrapped) and December 27th, 2016 - February 27th, 2017.
Desc: Based on the NES ROM hack, "Toad's Christmas Adventure" with some readjustments for modern standards. You as Toad must rescue Toadette across four levels and defeat Bowsinch. See if you can find all the differences from the original NES ROM hack. Did this level arrive too early?

2019 Station
Cloud 9
Development: July 13th - 29th, 2019
Desc: My first level post-hiatus. Collect all 16 silver coins to fight the boss and every gold coin for the secret exit. In a nutshell; "Hello, I discovered Lua coding." All in all, what nearly became a joke level is a Sanctuary Fortress mess of insanity. Enjoy! ~ :)
Memezuh
Memzuh.Memezuh.
Frozentrepid (AVLC, 13th/12th Place 53.0/100)
Development Time: October 28th, 2019 - December 23rd, 2019
This is my AVLC entry, which got 13th/12th place. This level's an Ice Flower experiment inspired by Ace's GeX level and a BSA Intrepid trip. Fair warning though, computers with less RAM will experience lag.

2020 Express
Industrial Consumption
Devlopment time: February 14th - March 8th
This was inspired by a generic deforestation level from AVLC 2019, and Circles from Post Malone. I wanted to play with the grinders as well as try to make a simple level like all young folks. This is my first level to require SMBX Beta 4.
Plume Beds (Mosaic Contest 3: 6th Place)
Development Time: December 26th, 2019 - January 26th, 2020
A Luigi-focused and my second Ice Flower-focused level. Escape a volcanic mine formerly used for an ice and mercury experiment! There is a simple boss in the end that is inspired by a famous song from 1990. This level can be beaten in 80 seconds and was originally part of a now rebooted project.
Toadette's Christmas Assemblage
Development time: Winter 2019 - May 2020, July 25th, 2020
Merry Christmas in July, everyone! Toadette goes on a journey to save her brother from the Grinchy monster. A sequel to the 2017 JLC entry "Toad's Christmas Medley." Designed and inspired by the 2010 Super Mario Bros. ROM hack "Toadette's Christmas Adventure" by Darkdata.

Twenty-first Docks (2021 lvls):
Garden of BunBun (VC'21, 3rd Place 42.6/50)
Development time: April 2nd - April 26th, 2021
Run through a mystical garden filled with BunBuns that throw a variety of NPCs. An adorable family of archery-trained bees that can both help and harm you. No one has any idea how shocked I was to see this get extremely close to the top 2, probably even winning. This version fixes an event I forgot to change. Note: The final BunBun might glitch if you don't die after the first checkpoint because of the camera events.
Cavern Dive (Choccycon II, 22nd Place 75.4/100)
Development time: August 3rd - August 15th, 2021
Swim back to the surface after falling into a mysterious and cryptic underwater cave. The level was supposed to be a section longer but was cut due to mental things and someone requesting my level to be under 3 minutes long. You'll meet small creatures that are looking to help you find your way out. Beware of the Maw-Rays and Jelectros!

Sequel-two Branchline (2022 lvls):
Hectic Emerald Hive (VC'22, 4th Place 86.5/100)
Development: April 12th - May 30th, 2022
The unexpected sequel to my AVLC level, Frozentrepid. I didn't have many ideas for Vanillacon 2022, so the idea was more of a failsafe. After Mario and the gang return to the harbor, their peace is interrupted once again by a fleet of home-stealing Bunbuns. It is up to Mario to save his friends (and Bowser) from the mysterious band of thieves. Note: You must start the level as Toad. The level may also lag on low-spec PCs due to the massive usage of events, particles, and light sources.
Rotten Candy Forest
Development: October 1st, 2020 - May 7th, 2021 (shelved), September 1st - December 10th, 2021 (shelved again), and May 31st - June 8th, 2022.
This level is technically a remake of Rotten Orange Candy Corn (Icy). I almost scrapped the level twice because of creative issues with the final section. Go on a journey through a sweet-scented forest where you climb and jump over rolling candy. A list of credits is also included in the download file. Special thanks to those who beta-tested, and Enjl for permitting me to use their peppermint graphic from Subzero Heroes!
Arnsono (Choccycon III, 9th Place 78.7/100)
Development: November 2021 (shelved), June 29th - August 15th, 2022
This level wasn't my planned CCX3 entry, but a busy vacation and massive scope for my original plans got in the way. Despite everything, this level was a blast to make. Take a journey through the Sonoran Desert in this SMW-inspired level. Jump over geysers, prickly spinies, and shocking pipes while trying to escape the dreadful heat. Be sure to take some pictures!
Temperate Unearthly Biome
Development: October 29th - December 15th, 2022
This level is based on a scrapped SVLC 2016 entry. I wanted to make this level for the holidays and practice. Stretch your way through an abandoned warehouse as spirits unite to evade your path. Watch your step! Some wooden platforms were damaged by wrapped vines.

Prime Junction (2023 lvls):
Jumping Koopa Cruise (Sciencecon 2023, A+)
Development time: July 18th - July 20th, 2021 (Shelved), January 9th - January 16th, 2023
My first Sciencecon entry! Building over a scrapped CCX2 entry I didn't have confidence in. This level demonstrates a funny interaction when Beach Koopas are set to friendly. Even if a Super Mario World shell keeps spinning, Beach Koopas will try to jump into it. You rarely see this happen because the shells will defeat the Beach Koopas upon collision (obviously). This level also contains a brief story I added for fun. I guess a small part of CCX2 stood with me, eh?
Mullitorium (Sciencecon 2023, A)
Development time: January 16th - January 27th, 2023
My second Sciencecon entry! This level demonstrates how players can maintain springboard momentum while entering a door. Hold the jump button and press up to warp through doors through a spring play! You can even get a boost thanks to layer-attached warps. I admit I did flex a little with my Vanilla trickery, but I couldn't help myself.
Scott Out of Hell (Retro Boss Contest, 1st Place - 95/100)
Development: March 5th - March 28th, 2023
A defeated Link is sent to a place in the underworld where lost lives are kept to burn away. Only those who defeat Sorcha are given a chance to start fresh in any world they desire. This boss was based on an 11th-grade assignment, but I wanted to give her more personality after leaving her aside for three years.
Retropolitical Establishment Tributing Rushegi Otymaimo (Choccycon IV, 1st Place - 90.63/100)
Development: August 27th - October 31st, 2023
Mario enters the Mega POW Cafe during a special event homaging to his classic era. He encounters enemies that are #retro and frames that give him his old Super Mario Bros. look from the 80s. While inside a frame, he loses his wall jump and spin jumping abilities. I adored the concept and had a blast making the level. I hope you enjoy your time as much as the judges did!

Mighty-Four Freight (2024 lvls):
Quandary Combo Challenge (MFGG#1, Runner up - 5 votes) {Collab with Saltlord!}
Development: February 5th - March 10th, 2024
Take on the Quandary Combo Challenge! Rack up a 1-up in all sixteen rooms to beat the level! Inspired by an idea mentioned by Emral in Codehaus back in 2022. This is Saltlord and I's first collab and puzzle level. They helped pick the NPCs we used for the challenge, while I handled the difficulty balancing. We both took turns making each room until the finale.

More levels arriving soon! :3
Last edited by Ness-Wednesday on Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:19 am, edited 54 times in total.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!

Re: Nessy's hungry.... Here are some lvls!

Postby Waddle » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:15 pm

I suggest you check out the archived post for your red city level, as I left some criticism there before the topic was archived.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks for the help, I'll remove the dragon coin graphic and replace it soon, but why is it a bad idea to make a Kirby level?
I can change it up a little if it's too much of a major issue.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!

Postby Waddle » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:32 pm

It is by no means a bad idea, however the NPCs just feel out of place in an area like this, and enemies specifically designed to be in cities (with a fire recolour) or some other lava-ish NPCs would probably be more fitting.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:56 am

Official Review of Blood Red Candy Corn by Ness-Wednesday (Reviewer: Linik)

This is a very nice level, and it appears a lot of effort went into it. I can tell how much this is inspired by Crisis City right down to the atmosphere, only this time with Kirby graphics and enemies. The visuals are very stunning, and the ruined, burning city atmosphere is nailed perfectly with the combination of the building tiles and rock tiles, further reinforced by the lava and the apocalyptic background. The decoration also reflects the atmosphere as well; the girders, overhead lights and warning signs fit perfectly into the level's theme, as do the torches and clouds; even using the wood tiles as support beams was a good concept. The music tracks seem to fit fine, but the actual design and gameplay of the level doesn't do as well though. There are some neat ideas in there, such as the sudden rising platforms and the propeller blocks, and the miniboss and boss fights were neat additions which I'll talk about later. However, the entire premise of the level is on switch blocks. At its core, the level is just "hit switch block, platforming, hit switch block, platforming, miniboss, platforming, boss", which is a pretty overused level designing rubric. It should be noted as well that the spikes blend in too well with the background and are hard to see, and the checkpoint is placed too far into the level, which is an indication that the first half is too long and needs some toning down. There are also some points where it's possible to get stuck in the level, such as the fact that it's possible to re-enter the rising platform section, and it's impossible to proceed because the platforms have already risen. Also, the green switch blocks in section 7 will be deactivated when the player approaches them, and there is no way to go back and reactivate them, so the player will be stuck at that point. The NPC placement is pretty good though. The coin placements were good, and the idea of gaining powerups from stomping a certain enemy is a great concept, and while the use of Dragon Coins encourages replay value, there are only 4 of them rather than the expected 5. However, the player is not warned that jumping on the bombs makes them blow up in their face. As for the miniboss, it was really just an ordinary Mouser battle only with the added danger of the overhead flame generator, and the player can just stand in the corner and avoid getting hurt. The boss fight wasn't so good either. While there are cool effects with the projectiles, it's really just waiting for a Billy Gun to spawn where the player is, and then curb-stomping them. It should also be noted that Whispy Woods doesn't fit well into a ruined city setting.

To be honest, this level has some great atmosphere and visuals, but it appears that the focus was on this that the level design appears to suffer from flaws. What should be done though is disabling warps to previous sections so the player doesn't get stuck, and making a green switch block more accessible. This level gets a 7.1/10 from me.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Review of Return To Diner Island LIVE:

TL;DW: Image

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps alot! :)

Anyway, I have more levels being made (at least four-five of them), though some may come a bit late as they could be contest levels.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:12 pm

Well, that settles it the bad levels that will be posted soon (except for "The Gengar Swamp" because I need to do some checking up on that one), are going to be on a separate part of the OP.
Just for a warning one may be too bright, and the other one too big and long, once they get reviewed, they'll be replaced with a remake, I'm actually not sure how I'm going to do this as I wanted these to be re-reviewed so badly so I can learn from my fails in the past.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Re: Nessy's Cake full of levels!

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Update: I added Wasabi Find to the list, also changed the title to be in a bit more of a bigger stage.

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Radiance » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Ness-Wednesday wrote: Wasabi Find
Ness-Wednesday wrote:You'll need Lunalua
I thought it's for LunaDLL. :lol:

And for what is the poll up there?

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:09 am

Mr Briney wrote:
Ness-Wednesday wrote: Wasabi Find
Ness-Wednesday wrote:You'll need Lunalua
I thought it's for LunaDLL. :lol:

And for what is the poll up there?
Lol, I should stop using lunadll and lunalua together.
The pole is for a level I want to make but I can't figure out the theme.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:13 am

Update as of 10/08/16: Seems like no one else voted so I'll have to remake the pole with the two for a tie breaker.

Another Update as of 10/26/16: Don't worry, I'm not dead just haven't got interests at anything yet, but soon I'll get back on track!

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Re: Nessy's Salad Bar of Levels?!

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Mon May 29, 2017 11:13 am

Hey guys, now there's a total of ten levels....
Enough for this thread to evolve from a cake to a salad bar!
This includes my very first level, my JLC entries and a 2016 level I never added into the line up.

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: Nessy's Salad Bar of Levels?!

Postby Archived » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:55 pm

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Re: Nessy's Level Market

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 pm

New levels posted:
Cloud 9 and Memezuh are now in stock at the market!
Notice:
2019 Update: After over a year of being away due to some stress, I'm finally back. Furthermore, expect the level quality to start improving between 2019-2020, and I will be releasing at least 5 levels across fall 2019 to Pride Month 2020.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Re: Prince Nessy's Level Market

Postby MegaDood » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:23 pm

Cloud 9 was an interesting level, but I felt it had a bit too much going on with the BGOs. I understand if it was a joke level though, but overall the level was pretty good.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:26 am

Reminder that today is the last day to vote. Briefly, one level from the poll will be remade based on the votes.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:53 pm

New level released! I was originally gonna have it be peer reviewed, but I didn't want to rush Scroll since School is a major priority. Anyways, Majestic Castle Plains (Remastered) has been released. ~ Enjoy, and don't forget to share feedback! :3

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:59 pm

Frozentrepid has been released!

Also, the last level I released has been removed due to technical issues. I'm going to remake it from scratch so I can release a level that's more simpler than the mess I made back in October 2019.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:53 am

Update: A new level has been posted as a more proper demo to a future project...
Edit: It's time for a patch. Patch 1 of my new level has been released containing the following changes:
-Lab sections have been brightened to have maximum lights.
-Fixed Graphical errors.
-Changed second to final set up in the last section.

Have a great day! :3

Return to “Levels”