Spinblock Mountain

This is the place to post your own levels.
Yogi_Bear
Bit
Bit

Spinblock Mountain

Postby Yogi_Bear » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Take a jog on Spinblock Mountain, with its breathtaking views and multiple trails, hours of fun (actually about a minute and a half, times however many times you play it) ensure!

Screenshot!
Spoiler: show
Download! https://www.mediafire.com/?5bq2pqo71qpeh9d

Feedback and criticism are welcome. Enjoy!

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: Spinblock Mountain

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:23 pm

OK, I think I'd better review this thing.

This level keeps its premise as being full of spin blocks, but I must say, for an autoscrolling level, this level has some pretty intriguing design almost reminiscent of some of the Special World levels in SMW, and it stretches the autoscroll to its limits with the differing paths mechanic. This mechanic is handled quite well when you factor in that all the routes come together in the end so it doesn't make a major difference, and different rewards can be found if the player luckily picked a good route, while if you went another route a player could find that there are no powerups at all. This further increases the replay value when the player will want to find all the rewards from taking different routes, and can also act as a difficulty setting where certain routes will be harder than others. This also adds on to the fact that there are Dragon Coins as well to further boost the replay value. The level is also rather well decorated despite the fact that the same bushes are getting overused, and the tileset you used blends well with the background, bringing out the feeling of night. While the level is predominately SMW styled, the Lakitu's Shoe sticks out like a sore point because it's in SMB3 style, and thus doesn't look sightly, so restyling it to SMW would be a better choice. Your music choice is also rather unfitting, because it's too wacky-sounding for a mountain trek, and for this kind of level, it's pretty short, and could do with a bit more lengthening and more secrets.

So the level's quite good, but it just needs a bit of fixing with the Lakitu's Shoe graphic, and also a bit of expansion would be welcome. This gets a 6.2/10 from me.

Yogi_Bear
Bit
Bit

Postby Yogi_Bear » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:22 am

Thank you! As for the Lakitu Shoe, ill probably just change it to a purple Yoshi if its that bad. The music wasnt my first choice but I wanted something different, kinda wacky, since this level is very different from what I usually make. Expansion would be possible, but I ran out of ideas quickly that would be "different" enough to warrant extending the level further. If I expanded it, it would likely just be filler, and thats not ideal. The length of the level comes from you having to beat it 3x to completely "beat" it.

That said I might tinker with lengthening it a bit. Maybe move the keyhole further or something, drag out the dragon coin hunt. Ill see about finding more fitting music in the meantime, though I kinda like it :3

EDIT: Oh and if I do all that ill take a few moments to make some more BGOs to liven it up a bit lol

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:43 am

Yogi_Bear wrote:Thank you! As for the Lakitu Shoe, ill probably just change it to a purple Yoshi
Except the purple Yoshi doesn't fly, it stomps the ground when you press Down. Definitely not a good thing to use when trying to fly.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:12 am

Linik wrote:
Yogi_Bear wrote:Thank you! As for the Lakitu Shoe, ill probably just change it to a purple Yoshi
Except the purple Yoshi doesn't fly, it stomps the ground when you press Down. Definitely not a good thing to use when trying to fly.
I think he means the one that flies when it eats the shell.
And BTW, the shoe is actually called Kuribo's shoe.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:47 am

King of Eterity wrote:And BTW, the shoe is actually called Kuribo's shoe.
That's the green shoe. The one we're referring to is the blue shoe.

TheWarpyro
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby TheWarpyro » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:57 am

Linik wrote:
King of Eterity wrote:And BTW, the shoe is actually called Kuribo's shoe.
That's the green shoe. The one we're referring to is the blue shoe.
Just in case, and correct me if im wrong, all the shoes in the game have different names:

Green is Kuribo's (Goomba's) shoe (Kuribo meaning goomba, haha)
Red is Podoboo's shoe (No idea of how a podoboo can get a shoe, but you get the thrill)
Blue is Lakitu's shoe (well, no wonder why you never see a lakitu wearing one of these, they already have clouds)

But anyways, wanted to clear this out, so you can see the different names and avoid confusion in the future ^^

Yogi_Bear
Bit
Bit

Postby Yogi_Bear » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:11 pm

TheWarpyro wrote:But anyways, wanted to clear this out, so you can see the different names and avoid confusion in the future ^^
Thank you! I'm aware of the lingo, however. Any more thoughts on the level itself?

TheWarpyro
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby TheWarpyro » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Oh, boy, i'll just say that i died many times at the start because im not used to autoscrolling levels with multiple paths.
But the level seems wacky, because of the colors music and mechanics all around it, if you wanted that kind of odd but 'funny' vibe, i'll tell you that you did it right! ^^

Return to “Levels”