A Grass Level #btb

This is the place to post your own levels.
Saki
Banned

A Grass Level #btb

Postby Saki » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:41 am

My submission to show my love to going "Back To Basics" If you don't know what I'm talking about you can see here

Click on the image for the download.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Re: A Grass Level #btb

Postby Mable » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:29 am

Back to basics? More like Back to bgo spam overdose.

Egg
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Egg » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:36 am

Tinkerbell wrote:Back to basics? More like Back to bgo spam overdose.
That's pretty disrespectful to a level supporting our great cause, are you a faker?

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:40 am

Yep, the leader of the fakers.

Rai
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Rai » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:14 am

To me, this whole 'BackToBasics' thing seems to be an excuse to make a half-assed, rushed level and just say it's a 'basic' level.

BTB
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby BTB » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:35 am

I think you're post right there seems to be an excuse to be really disrespectful.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:50 pm

I don't think this level was rushed, it was just simply keeping it to the basics. I don't think block bridges are really Mario related though, so it was a pretty odd fit in a Mario level, let alone SMB1.

Saki
Banned

Postby Saki » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:26 pm

Rai wrote:To me, this whole 'BackToBasics' thing seems to be an excuse to make a half-assed, rushed level and just say it's a 'basic' level.
Are you saying that I didn't put work into making this level? I heavily thought on what could make this a fun level while also asking myself "What would the great Miyamoto make in Super Mario Brothers 1 if he had to make an extra level?" Level design is always the most important aspects into making games, and I think I accomplished just that.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 am

Rai wrote:To me, this whole 'BackToBasics' thing seems to be an excuse to make a half-assed, rushed level and just say it's a 'basic' level.
Still a better meme than Rinkas.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:37 am

Vloud spam and grass spam isn't good level design. And i don't remember classic mario had clouds spammed in 1 place.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:Vloud spam and grass spam isn't good level design. And i don't remember classic mario had clouds spammed in 1 place.
This is very true. You must be a faker Mima. No true Mariohead would use so many BGOs--your being irresponsible and squandering your resources

BTB
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby BTB » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:30 pm

This level was made before the official guidelines were released and will be updated.

HVMetal
Snifit
Snifit

Postby HVMetal » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:36 am

Mima wrote:
Are you saying that I didn't put work into making this level? I heavily thought on what could make this a fun level while also asking myself "What would the great Miyamoto make in Super Mario Brothers 1 if he had to make an extra level?" Level design is always the most important aspects into making games, and I think I accomplished just that.
Are you saying that I didn't put work into making this level?
Sorry for being harsh or if Im insulting you or something, but:

First thing I see is the clash between the cloud and the mushroom. Secondly I think this screen just looks agglomerated in a sense like it has a lots of random things in the middle of the level, both the start and the end of the level just looks empty.
The level lacks of coins ( Note: not the coins in the blocks or boxes ). The whole level had approx. 18 normal coins and 42 coins in blocks or boxes.
Also a few more pipes and piranha plants wouldnt be bad just to decorate the level and give more challenge to the player, or some platforms too. The first half of the level had a huge cloud spam while the second half was ok. In my opinion this level to be pure #btb shall use at least that custom gfx needed to look like SMB1 ( replacement for SMB3 end roulette ), shouldnt have BGO spam, it shall have a bigger variety of enemies ( piranha plants/poison shrooms/platforms ) and it shouldnt be so empty
Spoiler: show
"3. Levels may not mix tilesets or styles from different games or level themes. For example, a grassland level cannot incorporate elements of a castle level, and a SMB3 level cannot incorporate elements of any other canon Mario titles."

Answer:

Thank you for reading it.

p.s. you talk about how bad a revolution is and you start one

Ace
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Ace » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:17 pm

How is few coins bad? There are some levels in SMB1 that have between 0 and 5 coins. I don't see that as a valid complaint. And piranha plants are an enemy, not a decoration. It could make the level harder, but it's kind of up to the designer how difficult it should be.
Also this level was made before the guidelines, so that explains the inconsistencies.

Rai
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Rai » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:14 am

I'm not saying this level in particular is rushed and horrible, but quite a few levels I've seen under this tag are horrifyingly badly made.

BTB
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby BTB » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:18 am

Does that have anything to do with this level?

Saki
Banned

Postby Saki » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:43 am

HVMetal wrote:First thing I see is the clash between the cloud and the mushroom. Secondly I think this screen just looks agglomerated in a sense like it has a lots of random things in the middle of the level, both the start and the end of the level just looks empty.
The level lacks of coins ( Note: not the coins in the blocks or boxes ). The whole level had approx. 18 normal coins and 42 coins in blocks or boxes.
Also a few more pipes and piranha plants wouldnt be bad just to decorate the level and give more challenge to the player, or some platforms too. The first half of the level had a huge cloud spam while the second half was ok. In my opinion this level to be pure #btb shall use at least that custom gfx needed to look like SMB1 ( replacement for SMB3 end roulette ), shouldnt have BGO spam, it shall have a bigger variety of enemies ( piranha plants/poison shrooms/platforms ) and it shouldnt be so empty
I don't think you know what clash means.
There weren't very many coins in Mario levels to begin with. You can see here that this officially made Super Mario Brothers Level just barely has the same amount of coins my level has

And this level was supposed to be something akin to an early world 1 level, just my own take on it.

HVMetal
Snifit
Snifit

Postby HVMetal » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:43 am

I don't think you know what clash means.
There weren't very many coins in Mario levels to begin with. You can see here that this officially made Super Mario Brothers Level just barely has the same amount of coins my level has

And this level was supposed to be something akin to an early world 1 level, just my own take on it.
I dont know why did I write clash, its supposed to be cut-off there. But you couldnt explain yet why is the level so "cluttered" . I admit that everyone designs a level the way they want but dont throw everything in the middle of the level and leave the rest empty. I dont want to be rude but World 1 from SMB1 wasnt so messy like this.

Return to “Levels”