A legitimate request towards the staff

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:00 pm

(response to Aero's post will still happen, just not yet)

I think having a single thread for each user to post their levels like the Art Board is a really interesting idea that makes sense. I think the only major problem we'd run into is having to move all the levels that already exist into one thread per user. We'd have to think of the best way to do that.

I will mention again that who is staff does not matter and that you're wasting your time if you're worrying about it. I get it, and I've been there - power is an interesting concept and it's easy to care about when you're the age of most people here. I'm sorry if I've made it seem like it's some sort of huge operation where we "moderate people" (why is this even being said?) that needs to be checked and balanced by all of you here. It isn't. We're five or six dudes that run an Internet forum. It's not a big deal.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm

What you said in the first part of your post is refreshing because that's entirely what is being requested over the robotic "It's not your concern" line and general dismissal from the start. Your last statement is why I don't like calling this "forum politics" and over sensationalizing stuff to that extent like using terms such as "democracy," "rights," and "governed." The thing that's mostly cared about is this forum not being run to its full potential and its often staff and LJ members impeding it by not seriously considering the opinion of people's posts here. I'm looking forward to your post, no need to rush it.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Joey wrote:I think having a single thread for each user to post their levels like the Art Board is a really interesting idea that makes sense. I think the only major problem we'd run into is having to move all the levels that already exist into one thread per user. We'd have to think of the best way to do that.
I think if we were to do that, archiving the Levels forum in the current state and putting up a new one where the users can post their levels thread would be the way to go. Making that thread wouldn't take much effort since you can get to all your levels with this link:

http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/s ... mit=Search

Just replace <YourName> with your username. Maybe put up a Global Announcement telling users to do that once it's implemented. I don't think that's too big of an effort tbh.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:47 pm

I agree with Spinda. Moving the levels over can be left to the authors themselves.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:02 pm

I would actually support moving to a new system involving one thread per user for them to post all of their levels. However, I would suggest that the Levels forum as it is now be archived, except for a few stickied threads that would still be relevant, if we were to follow through with this. There are a lot of levels there of inactive users and levels that have likely been forgotten about (intentionally or unintentionally by their designers). If we just archived most of the Levels forum and started completely anew, users could start up their own topics whenever they wanted to and repost old levels in them too if that is their desire. I think the overhaul of the Levels forum in a manner such is this could be beneficial if it was done correctly

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Didn't you just say that was unreasonable?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:33 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Didn't you just say that was unreasonable?
The way you worded it made it sound like all users' levels in one thread. Then I read Joey's post and realized what you actually meant and I think it's a good idea

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:35 pm

No I didn't, I've told you several times I wanted it structured like the Art board and I told Joey that exact plan and now it's suddenly reasonable to you.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:45 pm

AeroMatter wrote:No I didn't, I've told you several times I wanted it structured like the Art board and I told Joey that exact plan and now it's suddenly reasonable to you.
I thought you were referring to the WIP Graphics Showcase (2).

EDIT: As in every single level in one topic

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:49 pm

PixelPest wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:No I didn't, I've told you several times I wanted it structured like the Art board and I told Joey that exact plan and now it's suddenly reasonable to you.

The thread which already has an equivalent right here, right. It makes sense to have two of those.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:12 pm

Enjl wrote:
PixelPest wrote:

The thread which already has an equivalent right here, right. It makes sense to have two of those.
One is for graphics that aren't yet released to get feedback on them, the other is to post levels. Those are very different conceptually in my eyes

Ace
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:16 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Enjl wrote:
PixelPest wrote: I thought you were referring to the WIP Graphics Showcase (2).

One is for graphics that aren't yet released to get feedback on them, the other is to post levels. Those are very different conceptually in my eyes
Here you go, I think this would help you with your reading skills.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Be nice, Ace.

NightKawata
Spike
Spike

Postby NightKawata » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Ace was simply giving PixelPest literary advice, I think that's pretty nice.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:09 pm

NightKawata wrote:Ace was simply giving PixelPest literary advice, I think that's pretty nice.
I think Ace should take a chill pill and get off my back for heaven's sake

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:27 pm

What does literacy have to do with this? You can't post tilesets in the screenshot topic.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Forget about it. The important thing is ideas are actually being put on the rails, and something good is starting to come of this thread. That's what's important right now.

Ace
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Ace » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:13 am

Valtteri wrote:What does literacy have to do with this? You can't post tilesets in the screenshot topic.
Enjl was implying that a second thread for all levels would be pointless since we already have a thread for all screenshots. At the very least, nobody was implying the screenshot thread is actually the same as the tileset thread, but rather a comparison was being drawn between them. I thought I'd just clear that up, but it's not important to dwell on any further.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:33 am

SnifitGuy wrote:perhaps we should have a casual levels topic instead of a thread where we all post a single screenshot and a download link and discussion is not meant to actually take place about the individual levels.
I don't really like the concept of having the levels of multiple users in the same topic. Multiple levels from the same user in one topic I'm fine with

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:03 am

By experience I can tell that there would be less interest on commenting if we introduced Level Collections as a mandatory thing. I'd suggest adding one extra subforum for this, so users can additionally keep their (at least 3) levels in an organized place where they don't need to multipost if they add a new level, since they can just post the new level in the normal subforum as well.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”