Forest Level

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
SomeRandomGuy
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Forest Level

Postby SomeRandomGuy » Sat May 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Download
https://www.mediafire.com/?98tcyb8xv5bbpml

Screenshots

This is a little forest like level I put together. Hope you like it!

Click on screenshots to make them bigger. It'll take you to postimage.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Re: Forest Level

Postby Mable » Sat May 21, 2016 5:02 pm

What's up with that one tree piece.

Also that endjump can lead into unfair hits bc of the koopa

SomeRandomGuy
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby SomeRandomGuy » Sat May 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:What's up with that one tree piece.

Also that endjump can lead into unfair hits bc of the koopa
What tree piece? And I'll try and fix the koopa dood.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sat May 21, 2016 5:07 pm

In the first screenshot

SomeRandomGuy
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby SomeRandomGuy » Sat May 21, 2016 5:07 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:In the first screenshot
I'll go fix that

Dracyoshi
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Dracyoshi » Sat May 21, 2016 6:14 pm

There is a lot of room for improvement here.

1. Your levels are way too short. The average standalone level should take over 2 minutes to complete at minimum. I know that it may get a bit boring to work on the same level for hours but the end result is almost always worth the time.

2. If the environment in your level is natural then the terrain in the level should look natural too. Forests aren't a flat collection of boxes with a grid of trees that are exactly 2 feet from each other.
Here is what a vanilla SMW forest can potentially look like:
Check out some levels in The Best if you want some ideas on how to make a level look good. Just remember: Gameplay is always more important than graphics.

3. The average level should focus on providing a fresh and enjoyable experience for the player. This is usually done by presenting the player with new things learn and master, not throwing a bunch of common NPCs into a blender and turning that NPC slop into a level.
Got that? Good. Start thinking of new mechanics to use for future levels. Once you have a mechanic in mind you can begin to make a good level.
I recommend watching this video; it's filled with amazing advice for designing levels.

This video was intended for Mario Maker but it applies just as well to SMBX.
A good level will give the player time to learn a new mechanic and then challenge what they've learned. I'll quote the recap from the video.
A typical Mario level will only have one or two ideas and then iterate upon them to make it increasingly challenging. That might involve increasing the gap between jumps or making the timing more precise. That might mean increasing the distance between safe zones or placing enemies either as jump intercepts or as obstacles on the path. It could even involve changing the mechanic completely to make it more complex or taking away safety nets.
(Seriously, watch that video if you haven't already!)
I could always give you a lot of small advice but I think that it'd be more beneficial to learn the basics of level design first. Advice can come afterwards.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat May 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Judging by the second screenshot, it looks like you would die after the goal.

TurtleJosh52
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: I regret this account.

Unofficial Review of Forest Level.

Postby TurtleJosh52 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:06 pm

UNOFFICIAL "Forest Level" REVIEW!

Design/Backgrounds: 3/10- I've never seen so many trees! Also, I haven't seen bubbles used that much, Also the fact you cannot beat the level lowers this down. Also, it's too short.

Music: 5/10- The music fits with the level! But sadly, it uses no custom music. Which sucks. But I don't see SMRG used that often, again.

Graphics: 4.5/10- There was no custom graphics used, Sadly. The trees don't look very great, but at least there is no clash.

NPC Placement: 2.5/10- There are too many galoomba's. (If thats what they're called) Also only 2 bubbles contain powerups.

OVERALL: 3.8/10, Average.

This is my first review, sorry if it sucks.

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:13 pm

Short review of Forest level

This level has one linear section, and it takes ~30 seconds to beat it. The bubble placements are spammy, springboards are pointless (only to get to the powerup), and the emenies go to the pit after few seconds. I don't think I can see the creativity effort here. Vanilla graphics and music are okay, but spamming tree bgos in one screen doesn't look good as decoration. The worst thing is that you can't beat the level in normal, with springboard jumping over is possible, as the player doesn't die here.

Overall, this gets 1/10. The level needs more improvement, like extending the gameplay much longer. like dracyoshi said in his post you should look at the video and check the levels in the best section.

SomeRandomGuy
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby SomeRandomGuy » Mon May 30, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks for your review. I will try to make my levels better, and I watched the video.

Return to “The Trash Can”