Insane Sparky Circuit (Challenge Level)

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Insane Sparky Circuit (Challenge Level)

Postby Waddle » Tue May 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Hiya :]

I've been listening to the Planet Robobot OST (and holy crap is it AWESOME), and one of the themes in particular inspired me to make a circuit-y level. So I did! The level was designed to go into Pixelpest's 50 Mario Project, which hopefully explains the lack of coins and power-ups. The level also needs to be played as small mario for the bst experience. It's fairly hard, but not that long.

Here's a screenshot:
Spoiler: show
And most importantly, here's the download link: Enjoy!

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Re: Insane Sparky Circuit (Challenge Level)

Postby Valentine » Wed May 11, 2016 3:05 pm

The level actually has some pretty neat concepts in it like hitting the blocks that the 3 sparkies are on and such.

Pretty fun

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:50 pm

I will say the level was fun and I enjoyed everything except having to hit the turn blocks with sparkies on them. I do not have the time to review this now, but I do enjoy it.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Playthrough made:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMQAj6lqbS0

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah

Postby Waddle » Mon May 16, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks for the playthrough, bossy!
Man, you got really unlucky with the way that sparky fell in section 4.. At least you managed to deal with it relatively quickly.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Fri May 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Review of Insane Sparky Circuit

Level Design/Gameplay (weighed 70%): 8.2/10
This was a challenging yet really fun level. It used some great ideas that were developed throughout, however it didn't seem to overuse things too much. It was really good that although similar concepts were used, different extensions in each section were implemented to keep the gameplay intriguing yet still seem like the same level, because it didn't overcomplicate things. Not overcomplicating things is really nice to see since people think they need to use extravagant gimmicks, graphics, and concepts, yet this level made it happen with a very small variety of NPCs and gimmicks. However, this level could have used some coins at times since, although it didn't seem bland, it really could have used a few to make the level feel a little more complete. The atmosphere in this level was also quite quirky and cool, although I feel it could have been further developed to show more of the scene.

Graphics/Sounds (weighed 30%): 8.9/10
The graphics in this level were pretty cool. They stayed pretty simple and consistent throughout the level and although not many were used, it seemed to be enough. I liked how graphics weren't just used because they could be used, but the few graphics used served their purpose and turned out to be all the level seemed to need, for the most part at least. The music choice was interesting. I'm not sure it was the best choice, but I did like it.

Overall: 8.41/10 (Pretty Damn Good)

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon May 30, 2016 11:19 am

Wouldn't exactly call that helpful feedback. Would be nice if you pointed out what's frustrating and how he could go about adjusting things to make the level more engaging.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah

Postby Waddle » Mon May 30, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks for the review! About the coins, I thought those weren't allowed in the 50-Mario thing, which is why this level doesn't have them. It's also good to know it caused the necessary frustration :3

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon May 30, 2016 3:36 pm

Waddle Derp wrote:Thanks for the review! About the coins, I thought those weren't allowed in the 50-Mario thing, which is why this level doesn't have them. It's also good to know it caused the necessary frustration :3
I'll definitely add it into the 50 Mario Challenge if you want. I'd really like it for that

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Enjl wrote:Wouldn't exactly call that helpful feedback. Would be nice if you pointed out what's frustrating and how he could go about adjusting things to make the level more engaging.
So a simple comment isn't allowed?

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:01 pm

TNTtimelord wrote: So a simple comment isn't allowed?
No it's not. You can't post "it's hard lol". Give constructive critcism to the arthour of the level.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:23 pm

zlakergirl357 wrote:
TNTtimelord wrote: So a simple comment isn't allowed?
No it's not. You can't post "it's hard lol". Give constructive critcism to the arthour of the level.
That's a little stupid tbh. The level has already gotten decent feedback and I doubt Waddle Derp intends to change his level anymore at this point. The stupidly strict "constructive criticism" rule should loosen up after a level has been sorted, it's not like anyone's ever gonna look at a sorted level outside of the bests, aside from their own.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Except that the post doesn't contribute to the topic at all. You're saying it's hard without telling why it is.

Zipper
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Zipper » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:55 pm

TNTtimelord wrote: That's a little stupid tbh.
It is.
TNTtimelord wrote: The level has already gotten decent feedback and I doubt Waddle Derp intends to change his level anymore at this point. The stupidly strict "constructive criticism" rule should loosen up after a level has been sorted, it's not like anyone's ever gonna look at a sorted level outside of the bests, aside from their own.
But so is this. You shouldn't really be obligated to explain why you don't like something if you REALLY can't give a reason for it, but refusing to do so just because "it's already reviewed and buried" is REALLLY shallow. It's the same damn thing people argued over in the discussions thread for the past few days. Every bit of constructive discussion helps.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Wowie, what's going on in this here thread?

More LJ bullshit? Imagine that! Congrats on your promotion btw zlaker, you're assuming your position quite well.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah

Postby Waddle » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:58 am

Looks like this topic SPARKED off quite the discussion

:^)

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:08 am

o u ;^)

(didn't mean to divert from discussion on your level, i was just being snarky. sorry lol)

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Magician » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:20 am

Just thought I could mention, the source of frustration could probably have been due to difficulty timing jumps out of the gravity zones. Jumping in and out of waterfall-type hitboxes in SMBX certainly isn't one of my favourite things to do.

I like that some of the enemies are difficult while still having an exploitable weakness.

Another thing: That bubble that appears over Mario when he is underwater is actually a graphic in the effects folder, and can be swapped with an invisible graphic. It's a small thing, and very easy to change, but doing so would benefit the appearance of the level, I think. I believe it's effect-113.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:28 am

I have played the level and beat it before bossedit8 posted his video on this level. Should of commented on how fun it was then. Not frustrating at all actually. (Besides the fact I had to beat it three to four times because SMBX kept crashing.)

Edit: I forgot I even commented on this earlier, sorry. Ignore the top half of this post.

Return to “Pretty Good”