My very first level (Yoshi Island)

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Troshqui
Rex
Rex

My very first level (Yoshi Island)

Postby Troshqui » Sun May 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Hello!
I made this level a month ago, I will use it on my episode.
I want you to rate it. Give me your opinions!
It is Yoshi-Island styled, but I didn't change graphics.
Download : https://mega.nz/#!zwMywbLQ!Ja1co-4lRX6V ... alquvrLdd0
Screenshot : Image
Last edited by Troshqui on Mon May 09, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: :)
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: My very first level (Yoshi Island)

Postby Yoshi021 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:28 pm

On the screenshot, the sceneries are not touching the ground. Disable auto-align and place the bottom of the sceneries a couple of pixels down.

smartiemartie7
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby smartiemartie7 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:46 am

I would love to give you a 1/2 rating but to be honest... Before i can download the file, i need to have a decoding key. You might want to unlock your file before posting it:)

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Mon May 09, 2016 3:53 am

smartiemartie7 wrote: Before i can download the file, i need to have a decoding key. You might want to unlock your file before posting it:)
I also got that thing
Spoiler: show
oh Troshqui tell us the key so i can download your level and review it

Troshqui
Rex
Rex

Postby Troshqui » Mon May 09, 2016 12:11 pm

Camacho wrote:
smartiemartie7 wrote: Before i can download the file, i need to have a decoding key. You might want to unlock your file before posting it:)
I also got that thing
Spoiler: show
oh Troshqui tell us the key so i can download your level and review it
smartiemartie7 wrote:I would love to give you a 1/2 rating but to be honest... Before i can download the file, i need to have a decoding key. You might want to unlock your file before posting it:)
Sorry guys, I forget to give the key...
Here is the new link : https://mega.nz/#!zwMywbLQ!Ja1co-4lRX6V ... alquvrLdd0
Thanks! :D

AlphaCPS
Bit
Bit
Flair: generic flair

Postby AlphaCPS » Mon May 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Make sure to update the link on your post, people may not see the new download link. I'll try this out tomorrow.

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Mon May 09, 2016 1:37 pm

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Tue May 10, 2016 2:23 pm

Video playthrough made:

Man, that's a bit of Yoshi overkill there. I get that it's Yoshi Island, but you seem to be giving too many free Yoshis away, and that pretty much kills a lot of level difficulty. But other than that, it's a pretty good one for a first-timer.

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Review of Yoshi Island

The level starts in grassland section, with most of the objects being SMB3-styled. It looks very linear and a bit bland after playing few screens. There's lots of cutoff that are above the object, such as buried, pipe and smb3 grass objects. For me, the best fix is to use 1x1 black tile that you'll find in SMB3 background category and fill above them. Anyway, going to the pipe, I don't hear any music in the cave section, since there's missing file of it. You could few more emenies in there but that's ok. Shortly after, we're going to the pipe, which takes us back to grassland section. This time, we're going backwards, since you can't go forward, which is fine. The design here is pretty decent and it's not bland that much. At the middle of the section, there's a star, which means the level is over.

Alright, let me point out the things I've didn't mentioned:
- There's 4 yoshi blocks in this whole section, which is too many and you should remove 3 ones and have the one block be in the beginning of the level.
- Takes 2 minutes to finish it, which is short. This level really needs to be longer.
- There's SMW-styled pipes placed, but in the middle of the grassland section, where the star is, there's SMB3 pipes placed. For me, it's likely best to stick to use SMB3 ones since they fit more to the smb3 grassland tileset.
- There's water size setting, which you can increase the size of it. You don't need to place a 1-1 sized square in every since place where there's water lol.
- one Cheep-Cheep placed in mid-air is strange. I'm sure you'll find it.
- There's a blue koopa, if yoshi grabs it, he will get the ability to fly, which will cheat through out the whole section until the end of the level.

Okay, so for a first level, it's not that bad, but it still needs more improvement. Suggestion would be too look for the levels from the best section to improve design skills.

Deisgn: 3/10
Creativity: 3/10
Aesthetics: 3/10
Total: 9/30 -> 3/10

RhysOwens
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby RhysOwens » Fri May 20, 2016 5:54 pm

glitch4 wrote:Alright, let me point out the things I've didn't mentioned:
- There's 4 yoshi blocks in this whole section, which is too many and you should remove 3 ones and have the one block be in the beginning of the level.
- Takes 2 minutes to finish it, which is short. This level really needs to be longer.
- There's SMW-styled pipes placed, but in the middle of the grassland section, where the star is, there's SMB3 pipes placed. For me, it's likely best to stick to use SMB3 ones since they fit more to the smb3 grassland tileset.
- There's water size setting, which you can increase the size of it. You don't need to place a 1-1 sized square in every since place where there's water lol.
- There's a blue koopa, if yoshi grabs it, he will get the ability to fly, which will cheat through out the whole section until the end of the level.
You said 'I've didn't mentioned'.
I should be 'I've not mentioned yet'.

Troshqui
Rex
Rex

Postby Troshqui » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:32 am

glitch4 wrote:Review of Yoshi Island

The level starts in grassland section, with most of the objects being SMB3-styled. It looks very linear and a bit bland after playing few screens. There's lots of cutoff that are above the object, such as buried, pipe and smb3 grass objects. For me, the best fix is to use 1x1 black tile that you'll find in SMB3 background category and fill above them. Anyway, going to the pipe, I don't hear any music in the cave section, since there's missing file of it. You could few more emenies in there but that's ok. Shortly after, we're going to the pipe, which takes us back to grassland section. This time, we're going backwards, since you can't go forward, which is fine. The design here is pretty decent and it's not bland that much. At the middle of the section, there's a star, which means the level is over.

Alright, let me point out the things I've didn't mentioned:

Okay, so for a first level, it's not that bad, but it still needs more improvement. Suggestion would be too look for the levels from the best section to improve design skills.

Deisgn: 3/10
Creativity: 3/10
Aesthetics: 3/10
Total: 9/30 -> 3/10
Thank you for you review. I'm working in new levels.
I hope these new levels are better... :D

Return to “Average”