About Mafia Inactivity

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

About Mafia Inactivity

Postby Julia Pseudo » Fri May 06, 2016 2:22 am

It's not OK. At all.

You know who you are, folks, and I really need you to understand that signing up for Mafia and not actually playing is not at all acceptable behavior. If we Game Masters find you to be deliberately inactive, or repeatedly inactive by accident an egregious number of times we are going to take action, to the point of game bans and such.

Mafia relies on everybody actually playing, especially (but not only) players that are part of a small team such as the mafia. Not participating can seriously let your team down, and even directly lead to a loss (one that may have been undeserved by the active portion of the mafia) as we just saw in Mafia 29.

Understand that when you sign up for Mafia and don't participate, you are not only worsening the experience of the rest of your team and the players at large, but are also taking up a spot that could be filled by someone who actually wants to play.

Thanks, everyone.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Re: About Mafia Inactivity

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:57 am

My reason for any inactivity is school and family stuff, but I still try my best to find time to participate. Game bans micf ht be helpful for tbise who do not post or parto,opate in three days of gameplay though...

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Fri May 06, 2016 8:49 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:My reason for any inactivity is school and family stuff, but I still try my best to find time to participate. Game bans micf ht be helpful for tbise who do not post or parto,opate in three days of gameplay though...
I still think three days is too much leeway. If you have school etc. and know you won't be able to active you shouldn't be playing. Especially if you're a Blue, you shouldn't be missing a single chance to use your ability (Vigilante is an exception), meaning you should be active every Night phase

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:41 pm

TNT has a point in what he said in the postgame thread. Honestly, the players who are inactive every single game (like Pseudo said, you know who you are) should just be banned permanently from Mafia. I've talked to them about inactivity, and I'm sure you Game Masters have as well, and they still refuse to be active. Inactivity literally caused this game to end and has caused multiple team losses in the past. All the people, like me, who are active every single game, are fed up with these players signing up and then not playing at all nor putting in an effort. As PixelPest said, this is annoying, especially when you have a special role. When you're a special and you're inactive, you're screwing over your team which is not cool and we don't need to tolerate it anymore. Unless these players who are inactive every game speak up and say why they sign up but don't even participate in the games, then we should permanently ban them from Mafia.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:00 pm

PixelPest wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:My reason for any inactivity is school and family stuff, but I still try my best to find time to participate. Game bans micf ht be helpful for tbise who do not post or parto,opate in three days of gameplay though...
I still think three days is too much leeway. If you have school etc. and know you won't be able to active you shouldn't be playing. Especially if you're a Blue, you shouldn't be missing a single chance to use your ability (Vigilante is an exception), meaning you should be active every Night phase
I am out of school now, but while I was in school, I had the twelve hours of sleep, ten hours of school, two hours of computer.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri May 06, 2016 10:22 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
I am out of school now, but while I was in school, I had the twelve hours of sleep, ten hours of school, two hours of computer.
I still hold true to my previous statement. If you can't juggle up a sufficient amount of time to play than you shouldn't be joining games. It doesn't matter what your excuse is imo (unless there is like a major family emergency or something you weren't expecting to happen (school and sleeping don't fit into any of these categories). I try to commit to going on three to four times a day when I'm playing, even if I'm not necessarily posting. I usually do once in the morning when I wake up, once on my school lunch break, once when I get home from school, and once sometime after dinner before I go to bed

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:15 am

PixelPest wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
PixelPest wrote: I still think three days is too much leeway. If you have school etc. and know you won't be able to active you shouldn't be playing. Especially if you're a Blue, you shouldn't be missing a single chance to use your ability (Vigilante is an exception), meaning you should be active every Night phase
I still hold true to my previous statement. If you can't juggle up a sufficient amount of time to play than you shouldn't be joining games. It doesn't matter what your excuse is imo (unless there is like a major family emergency or something you weren't expecting to happen (school and sleeping don't fit into any of these categories). I try to commit to going on three to four times a day when I'm playing, even if I'm not necessarily posting. I usually do once in the morning when I wake up, once on my school lunch break, once when I get home from school, and once sometime after dinner before I go to bed
For me, I stayed on all day after getting home. I am completely out of school (minus my graduation) so. I will be he more often. Thing is, even with limited time, I was the most active in M29...

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Shall we bring up this post again? Mafia just unfairly won M36 due to the town's inactivity. Even though I was mafia in that game, I have to say the win was unfair. Really, if you aren't gonna be active, DON'T FUCKING PLAY THE GAME.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:03 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:Shall we bring up this post again? Mafia just unfairly won M36 due to the town's inactivity. Even though I was mafia in that game, I have to say the win was unfair. Really, if you aren't gonna be active, DON'T FUCKING PLAY THE GAME.
THIS

Doesntpostverymuch
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Doesntpostverymuch » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:15 pm

and no replacements were called either!

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Yeah, Syndrilevosse and I are talking about what we're going to do about this. Something will be done in response to this.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:43 pm

I'm glad about this. Totally ridiculous overall to be honest

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:41 pm

Doesntpostverymuch wrote:and no replacements were called either!
Yes, I already addressed Waddle Derp on that, and both Pseudo and I agree that it was unwarranted. There should have been replacements for the inactive users.

However, on top of that, I have already warned you to not make posts in the game thread if you are not part of the game, so please stop doing that in the future.

Aside from this, the inactivity is an ultimate problem. We can respect if you must go inactive due to personal reasons, but don't go inactive just because "I'm not interested", that really kills the game, and will get you banned.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:39 am

Syndrilevosse wrote:However, on top of that, I have already warned you to not make posts in the game thread if you are not part of the game, so please stop doing that in the future.
Syndrilevosse wrote:already
He didn't do it again, did he? Obviously, once the game is over everyone can post, not only the dead players.

Anyway, it wasn't just a general problem of inactivity. It was an attitude problem as well. After it seemed like the town had everything together to secure the win after the early losses of yellows, and after I was dead, everyone literally wet their pants. The few people left could at least have made an effort to check the recent phases, until Day 4 where you would have noticed that Yoshi is innocent because of how he voted, and until Night 5 where both ZM and me declared Mech as the person most suspicious ... well yeah.

We've also finally learned that you can consider yourself lucky if you have backups that don't go by the name glitch4, and that using them is without alternative.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:29 am

The town didn't even try. Really, this inactivity has to stop

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Waddle » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:54 am

MosaicMario wrote:
thehelmetguy1 wrote:Shall we bring up this post again? Mafia just unfairly won M36 due to the town's inactivity. Even though I was mafia in that game, I have to say the win was unfair. Really, if you aren't gonna be active, DON'T FUCKING PLAY THE GAME.
THIS
except you also dug your own grave on purpose halfway through the game?

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 am

It indeed sounds quite hypocritical coming from Mosaic. He should have asked to be replaced if he didn't want to play anymore

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:11 am

But really. This inactivity doesn't help anyone. The inactives should be severely punished, because they ruin the fun and cause undeserved wins or losses

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:36 am

Any hate feelings don't help us any further as well. Mosaic wanting to suicide Day 4 had nothing to do with the problem of inactivity, and it's also not in our place to decide on punishments. Danny and Pseudo have been discussing already, so I guess you can expect something to happen. Though as I said on chat I would prefer to be more effective on vegging for the future, and to be merciful one last time on game bans for now, because nobody deliberately refused to play (like glitch4 in M29) and you can't ban anyone for playing badly.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:26 am

Correct. However being inactive for two or three games in a row is definetly a reason to get a game ban, because it ruins the fun for other players and takes the spot of someone that actually wants to play

Return to “Mafia”