Overplanted Greenhouse(SVLC 7th Place)

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Overplanted Greenhouse(SVLC 7th Place)

Postby PersonNamedUser » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Reviews:
Spoiler: show
Bossedit8 - 8.50
This is an interesting concept going on. Complete grass in a castle. I really like it's design of it but for sure... putting those climbable vines at the top makes me climb it every time I hold down while jumping over a hole and such. Also there's one waterfall placement over a sizeable that looks like its solid at the top but it really isn't... and also a lot of enemies on your way as I speak about that. Later on, plant vs blocks section. Pretty cool. Next up, left and right areas with switches to press... not too bad. Then vertical section with level wrap... while one tile is a bit offplaced and then that's it for the level. I really like this level.

Wraith Adamknight - 8.57
I absolutely loved this level. Its atmosphere was really something else, using grass tile-sets combined with cave music to symbolize an enclosed space. However, the concept of this being a greenhouse isn’t really shown in the level itself, but represented by its name instead. So really, the name gives you the expectation and then the level delivers based off that impression. So, while I loved the level…you sorta fell short on the “greenhouse” part. Lastly, your level was beautiful and that is about it. I found the level to be incredibly linear, only really offering one direct path to take.

Zipper - 7.40
Oh my, I'm getting heavy Top Man vibes from this, I hope I'm not alone. Overall, this was a very solidly built level. I liked the usage of Pokeys as pseudo-walls that you had to shrink to proceed. Sizable blocks were utilized in a way that allowed you to traverse freely along different floors, which helped the level feel less cramped, despite only being one screen tall most of the time. Enemies were also easily killable with plenty of plants available on the ground. For the second area, I'm afraid the Piranha Gun was REALLY underutilized. It had no purpose to exist there other than to break those arbitrarily placed bricks and make the remaining 5 seconds of that section easier. Especially seeing how plants are a prevalent theme in this level, I'm sure there can be a way to improve upon this. The third area was a switch "hunt". Quotes used because well, it's just a matter of backtracking 2 short paths twice. This is the kind of split path I don't mind, as long as it's short enough to not bore the player. That was done correctly here. Both paths were slight boring in their own ways though. Not too much, but perhaps mixing pipes and pokeys for both sides would be better? The last room was a nice little vertical climb with not much to point out. The horizontal loop helped it flow well, and it was a solid challenge like the rest of the level. However, the second-to-last ladybug is absolute crap. You need to have some godly timing to not get hit. Please remove that.
Aaaaaanyway, I liked this plenty. Not too much to talk about, but it does what it does well, with a fitting and unique atmosphere to boot.

Chad - 5.50
Interesting concept. The layout is rather complex and natural-looking and does a nice job of facilitating the hazard interactions, but it's also excessively narrow much of the time. This is especially difficult around Pokeys, even more so in terms of the ones with buggy slope behaviors or large populations of them. Sizables are put to practical and decorative use, and the inclusion of Toothy is nice but brief. The switch room is thankfully not too time-consuming, but each one could have been given a return warp. The level wrap is nicely implemented, but this is also where the crampedness of the level is at its worst, especially in regards to the last two ladybugs. Overall, you've got a nice unique theme here and decent design, but the execution of some things could stand to be improved. There's also a waterfall edge very early in the level that presents itself as being connected to a sizable surface (around the Pokey crowd), but isn't actually solid and had me fall unexpectedly into non-water, so that was unfortunate.

ElTipsta - 8.50
I really like this atmosphere, and it was well excecuted, with a good variety of enemies from each game present. The water should really be swimmable, and switch blocks were a disappointing inclusion. The plant gun section was neat though.
This was my entry for SVLC 2 and it got into 7th place. So here it is for people to play.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/otml3 ... nhouse.zip

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Overplanted Greenhouse(SVLC 7th Place)

Postby PersonNamedUser » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:08 pm

fixed the download

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:41 am

That's a whole lot of Bgo's.

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:35 pm

Official Review of Overplanted Greenhouse by MosaicMario

ohey, this one. I have never seen any vanilla level that made this kind of theme. Let's just start for aesthetics, it looks nicely done, but there was too many decoration objects in some places and that doesn't make it very good in my opinion, so I suggest removing some of them. Anyway, as for design, it's pretty good. Most of the sections were linear, but I don't have problem with that. There's unswimable water in all sections, and I don't know why it's supposed to be like that. The first section was really decent, there's some pipe cutoffs and item babysitting, which is very short and that's somewhat gud. The next section has piranha plant pipe hold thingy one, which was really nice to see it, sucks that it lasted very shortly. The next one has switch blocks that you have to turned on, also there's a midpoint when you enter it, so it's not that bad. Moving on to the finally not linear section, which you have to move upwards to get to the pipe, which isn't bad either. There's some pipe cutoffs and there's hoopsters that will easily hurt if you're big. Anyway after that, we're moving into the goal and the level ends. After this I can definetly say that this level is very good, I think it could've been better if it was a bit longer, and fixed the errors.

Design: 6/10
Creativity: 8/10
Aesthetics: 7/10
Total: 21/30 -> 7/10

Return to “Pretty Good”