dEFINITELY a gRASS lEVEL (VANILLA CONTEST)

This is the place to post levels that are made just for fun.
Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

dEFINITELY a gRASS lEVEL (VANILLA CONTEST)

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:45 pm

this was made by me and spinda, i did the boss and the first 5 sections, spinda made the time and player block rooms

SREEEENSHFUIOT
Spoiler: show
and then our level got punched by a 3.90

ROOMVIEWS!!!1
Spoiler: show
Bossedit8 - 9.00
For a level that's grassland based... turns into a castle quickly at the end of the first section. I definitely like it as of what you did with the whole level. Having a choice between either the one or the other and they have differency going on is a nice thing to have. Would be funny if one uses the one door while the other the other door (2 players separately going through other doors) hehehe... anyway it was pretty cool nonetheless. Boss... is a Toad... with moving things to avoid and such. Very interesting but each time you defeat one of the forms you have to be careful not to fall in the pits below... but oh well. I find some of the stuff quite neat but also on some cases hard to avoid by playing through the first time... once you learn it it isn't that difficult to do. It was a nice boss though.

Wraith Adamknight - 8.85
simply put, I loved this level. I won’t go into details since I will end up rambling. However, there is are two big issues with this level. For one, the boss doesn’t activate if you enter the section with time stopped. Lastly, the boss itself was cute and clever, but it is incredibly time consuming. I suggest increasing its speed to reduce the time necessary to deal with it on multiple runs.

Zipper - 3.90
you LIED TO ME
Anyway, this is sort of a "challenge room" styled level. Sadly, it doesn't work very well. The Piranha Gun room is an absolute wreck, as you have NO way of knowing which blocks are unbreakable, and that leaves the player in a pinch when jumping is the LAST thing on their mind. The Billy Gun room was way more tolerable, as it made obvious what you can and can't break.
I'm actually a fan of the Character Block room. I had no idea those blocks could be used for that purpose, and your challenge room did a great job explaining it while still expecting me to put effort into it. The P-Switch room was pretty cute, but it was stupidly short. And I'm saying this in more ways than one. It was so short that if I ran to the boss door when the time was still frozen, the cutscene didn't trigger. You might want to find a workaround for that.
Speaking of the boss, it was acceptable I guess. The first phase was really slow, but the second and third phases were really fun. The Piranha Gun was thankfully much more forgiving, as jumping is no longer punished. However, you get only ONE chance to hit the boss for each phase, and if you miss you're out of luck. I don't think punishing the player this harshly for a mistimed jump is a good plan. Also, to skip the dialogue box for the final phase, I need to let go of Run. That means I have to throw the Piranha Gun. Guess what happens if that falls into a pit? Yeah.

Chad - 7.00
An impressively cinematic level, but also one that asks a bit much at times. Moving layers are put to great unique uses, and I like the implementation of choice rooms with different gimmicks that lead to the same areas of level at the end. The character block bug is neatly exploited for a challenge and the time switch is put to nice use as well. For having a lot of gimmicks, they do what they need to and don't overstay their welcome. However, I found the Billy Gun and Toothy sections to be a little much, because just hitting the wrong bricks at first can be really costly by itself and it should be obvious which ones can't be chewed through. The boss is clever and introduces great variety, but the window of opportunity for the first hit could stand to be wider and the Thwomps can be really hard to read. Still, pretty imaginative level, and it's a reasonable enough length that deaths are never super costly.

ElTipsta - 8.50
This is most definitely not a grass level! The fortress was really well made and takes advantages of some of the gimmicks that SMBX has, like the billy gun, which is an underused item in SMBX. It was also pretty creative too, like with the player blocks. There are a couple of issues with the boss though. Like if you miss your chance to jump up and do damage, you have to commit suicide. This should be signposted via coins IMO. Also, the Thwomp section is creative, but unfair. Just my two cents on a great level.

DOULLOD!11
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0p9whe2vldy1 ... N.zip?dl=0

Return to “Casual Levels”