SMB1 Night

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.

Should i fix the smb1 grass thing?

Yes. They are strange.
82%
No. There are okey.
18%

Total votes: 17
MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

SMB1 Night

Postby MirzaBM » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:09 am

Hello guys! Another SMB1 styled level.

Screenshot:Image

Fixed Level Screenshot: Image

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bajff6ro2urw ... t.rar?dl=0

Fixed Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvqu6yyxoy0mt ... 9.rar?dl=0

I accepted the request for fixing.

NOTE: These graphics are made by me and none of them are by someone else wich means that there are bad. If you want better tiles vote! And poll is glitched because 10 users didn't vote. It's just the result for the previous poll.

Music: Mario Forever - Starland by Buziol

Thanks to buziol for that grass template but i made that grass myself somehow i did the exact same thing.

Have fun playing!
Last edited by MirzaBM on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.

lighthouse64
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Re: SMB1 Night

Postby lighthouse64 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:52 am

MirzaBM wrote:Hello guys! Another SMB1 styled level.

Screenshot:Image

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bajff6ro2urw ... t.rar?dl=0

Have fun playing!
Ok I'll give you some feedback here. (yes it's another review)

Total score:29/100

Gameplay:0.5/10
-Overall, this was a really easy level and there wasn't much of a challenge. It was just hopping around from one platform to the next with ease. I feel like you didn't spend enough time on it. You should've added some challenges. (no, the hammer bro wasn't much of a challenge.)
+Despite that, the level was straightforward so it wasn't one of those levels that take forever to get through.
+I feel like the coin placement was done well. You could've used coins to make a challenge though. (Like a place leading a bit off path) (the pipe isn't really off path since you can find your way back quickly)
-This level just feels very generic and boring. Add a twist or something to the level next time ;) Try using some poison mushrooms too!

Graphics and BGM:6.5/10
+You did a very good job of keeping the theme of the level. I applaud you for avoiding clash.
+The Background Music fit well, and it matched the theme of a slow night walk.
+You added backgrounds that fit.
-The bushes should not be growing into blocks
-Honestly, the npcs weren't really varied. It got kinda boring seeing the same npcs over and over again.

I'm pretty sure it's in the trash can since it's below 30%.

Anyways I might've been light compared to what a level judge would do.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:24 am

lighthouse64 wrote:-The bushes should not be growing into blocks
I want to point out that SMB1 did this. A lot, in fact. I quickly assembled a clear display of this below.

I personally don't think the blue recolor is working too well. It looks very out of place. I also find the underground pieces to hardly work outside their intended environment. Additionally, this custom grass tileset with its middle dirt pieces bothers me. It's a downgraded version of the classic one. It takes the top few pixels of the original tile and just repeats them to fill up the 32x32 space, discarding the majority of the original tile. I fail to see the point.

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:43 am

lighthouse64
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby lighthouse64 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Valtteri wrote:
lighthouse64 wrote:-The bushes should not be growing into blocks
I want to point out that SMB1 did this. A lot, in fact. I quickly assembled a clear display of this below.

I personally don't think the blue recolor is working too well. It looks very out of place. I also find the underground pieces to hardly work outside their intended environment. Additionally, this custom grass tileset with its middle dirt pieces bothers me. It's a downgraded version of the classic one. It takes the top few pixels of the original tile and just repeats them to fill up the 32x32 space, discarding the majority of the original tile. I fail to see the point.
Oh thx, I didn't know that smb1 did this.

MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

Postby MirzaBM » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Okey time to explain why this is bad:

Recoler is made with smb1 pallete and the grass is by me and i don't wanna see further complaing of that Btw night levels can have underground blocks.
I make easy levels because hard levels are hard to make and thats why i made a easy one.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Just because you used the SMB1 palette doesn't mean that you can't change it.

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Mon May 30, 2016 7:59 am

The level was okay.
You should remove the leap of faith at the end of the level.
The tiles doesn't loop that well.
Video:

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Review of SMB1 Night

I didn't find this level to be nearly as bad as people made it out to be. It's a relatively solid level and a good length for what it has to offer. Although it is relatively simple, it mostly exhibits positive design elements throughout; good spacing between BGOs to avoid clutter, good placement of NPCs including power-ups for its difficulty (however not great for coins which I'll discuss after this), and sufficient variation. The leap of faith at the end is a bit much, not only because there isn't anything else in the level like that, but it also just isn't really good to throw that at the player when the rest of the level is really easy. Some areas needed some more coins, but for the number there were they were arranged in a pretty good manner, however it would have been a little better if some of the designs were angled, for example in an "m" pattern. The two Bullet Bill launchers also really weren't needed since they weren't present anywhere else in the level. Graphics-wise this level was fine. Everything seemed to fit nicely, including the Bob-ombs. You could look into using a custom graphic for an SMB1 Roulette Exit in the future to help improve the SMB1-ness of your levels. I thought that the music was a fantastic choice and really helped contribute to the dreamy atmosphere of the night.

6/10 (Pretty Good)

Return to “Pretty Good”