SMB1 Grass

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

SMB1 Grass

Postby MirzaBM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:34 am

Hello everyone!

I have a level for you!

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3k895hvsgeft9 ... s.rar?dl=0 (level judges this is not ready for a review i must fix it then i would post the real one)

Fixed Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr1xmqc5t5d9k ... 9.rar?dl=0 (this is what you will review level judges)

Screenshot:Image

Thanks to buziol for that grass template but i made that grass myself somehow i did the exact same thing. NOTE: Not all tiles are in smb1 style. There are smb1 recolered. And in the level there is no koopa at start.
Last edited by MirzaBM on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Mario_and_Luigi_55
Spike
Spike

Re: SMB1 Grass

Postby Mario_and_Luigi_55 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:56 am

It's really short.

Also, don't you think that's too many enemies at once?

MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

Postby MirzaBM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:57 am

Mario_and_Luigi_55 wrote:It's really short.

Also, don't you think that's too many enemies at once?

I made it look short like 1-1 SMB1 normal level plus i think it's not so many enemies at once.

ShadowTreecko
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowTreecko » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:30 am

Is it just me or is the download link not working?

Mario_and_Luigi_55
Spike
Spike

Postby Mario_and_Luigi_55 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:40 am

ShadowTreecko wrote:Is it just me or is the download link not working?
It works for me

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:46 am

1. There are way toooooooo many of the smb3 bomb npc, they are like the entirety of this level every new ground has 1-3 of them
2. The hidden block can result into an unfair hit by one of the bombs. Not good
3. The Koopa at the start isn't another good thing. If the player happens to be away or not reacting fast enough they get killed from it.
4. There are places which i think have toooooo many bgos. Sure bgos make a level look nicer but overdoing them does not.
5. If you attempted to make this as short as the 1-1 smb1 level, why did you use the nsmb overworld theme and not the smb1 theme? And why does the level end with the smb3 dungeon exit?
6. The Boss fight has probably no effort actually. It looks like you slammed those bricks down there, placed boom-boom and added side walls so he can't jump out but he gets stuck on both sides and you can easily hit him.
7. Idk what you did to the fill tile and the side ones. They look kinda strange and idr the smb1 ones looking like that. Might suggest using those by Valtteri or Sed.

I suggest also, checking the levels in the pretty good section, checking some level design tips and other good topics that help improving on making levels. Idk if you actually take any of the critic you get from the other levels you made. To me it looks you don't bc all of them have the same errors again.

ShadowTreecko
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowTreecko » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:52 am

I wouldn't necessarily say that this is a bad level but I think the level needs to be a little bit longer, also try to place less enemies in a small place

Problem:

Fixed:

MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

Postby MirzaBM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:01 am

Hmmm.. This means i need to fix everything.

Ones that say the smb1 tiles are strange is that i just dont wanna use better ones and i had no idea how it looks officaly but i dont care its strange btw i cant replace that bug with smb3 ending sound.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:04 am

You might not care, but others might care about it.
Also what sound? I was talking about the exit not the sound.

MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

Postby MirzaBM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:34 am

Tinkerbell wrote:You might not care, but others might care about it.
Also what sound? I was talking about the exit not the sound.
The exit is sound! I don't know how to fix this but smb1 and smb3 fit together.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:40 am

Uff... i was not talking about the sound again. I was talking about how the level ends.
It doesn't make any sense to me that you suddenly end up fighting boom-boom when you can actually end the level like it did in smb1 or use the standard smb3 exit then.

MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

Postby MirzaBM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:Uff... i was not talking about the sound again. I was talking about how the level ends.
It doesn't make any sense to me that you suddenly end up fighting boom-boom when you can actually end the level like it did in smb1 or use the standard smb3 exit then.
Hmm.. It all gets fixed in fixed version!
Plus i really tryed my best to do by recoloering boom-boom into smb1 pallete and the smb3 boss exit into smb1 pallete and it isn't well.

Mario_and_Luigi_55
Spike
Spike

Postby Mario_and_Luigi_55 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:02 pm

MirzaBM wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:Uff... i was not talking about the sound again. I was talking about how the level ends.
Plus i really tryed my best to do by recoloering boom-boom into smb1 pallete and the smb3 boss exit into smb1 pallete and it isn't well.

Did you use Paint.net or just normal Paint. You should use Paint.net for recoloring

MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

Postby MirzaBM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Mario_and_Luigi_55 wrote:
MirzaBM wrote:

Did you use Paint.net or just normal Paint. You should use Paint.net for recoloring
I used paint.net! And the recoler tool is helping me alot. BTW! The fully fixed version is out! Fixed the koopa at start which wouldn't kill people that aren't fast enough.

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:10 pm

I though that this level was pretty good!
If this is supposed to be a 1-1 level though, maybe remove the koopa jumping section.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86GJL0t ... e=youtu.be
(I can't get the video working. Sorry :( )

MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

Postby MirzaBM » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:34 am

Matt_The_Slime wrote:I though that this level was pretty good!
If this is supposed to be a 1-1 level though, maybe remove the koopa jumping section.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86GJL0t ... e=youtu.be
(I can't get the video working. Sorry :( )
I will make a episode that will have this level but it would be like 2-1 or 3-1 and the koopa jumping section will not be removed but anyway thanks for positive feedback! Or maybe i will later just remove the koopa jumping section. (Video works for me.)

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Official Review of SMB1 Grass by MirzaBM

This level is short. It has three sections, which first one is the main section, while the other ones are nothing special (second is somewhat bonus section and third section leads you to secret goal). Although using invisible note blocks to the secret goal was kinda neat, the level still lacks length and creativity. The design is very linear and it uses 'jump over everything' in most parts. The SMB1 fill tile is really strange, like others said, you should use a better fill tile by someone so the player won't be bothered by that tile. The koopa jumping wasn't that creative in my opinion, while the two koopas can be seen while playing, the other two were in offscreen, so for the first try, when the player jumps on the first ones, in the next screen, it can most likely see the other two unexpectedly and fall into the pit.

I have nothing to say more about this, since it's short. You should extend it to 4 minutes of gameplay, but don't make it boring and extremely linear as hell in my opinion. For aesthetics, I suggest replacing the fill tile and add some pipes and probably more scenery.

Design: 2/10
Creativity: 1/10
Aesthetics: 3/10
Total: 6/30 -> 2/10

MirzaBM
Bit
Bit

Postby MirzaBM » Fri May 06, 2016 5:24 am

glitch4 wrote:Official Review of SMB1 Grass by MirzaBM

This level is short. It has three sections, which first one is the main section, while the other ones are nothing special (second is somewhat bonus section and third section leads you to secret goal). Although using invisible note blocks to the secret goal was kinda neat, the level still lacks length and creativity. The design is very linear and it uses 'jump over everything' in most parts. The SMB1 fill tile is really strange, like others said, you should use a better fill tile by someone so the player won't be bothered by that tile. The koopa jumping wasn't that creative in my opinion, while the two koopas can be seen while playing, the other two were in offscreen, so for the first try, when the player jumps on the first ones, in the next screen, it can most likely see the other two unexpectedly and fall into the pit.

I have nothing to say more about this, since it's short. You should extend it to 4 minutes of gameplay, but don't make it boring and extremely linear as hell in my opinion. For aesthetics, I suggest replacing the fill tile and add some pipes and probably more scenery.

Design: 2/10
Creativity: 1/10
Aesthetics: 3/10
Total: 6/30 -> 2/10
I accutally love making short levels and i allways use what i have. And i'm going to make a better version of that grass fill in graphics forum (Or maybe not).
Last edited by MirzaBM on Tue May 24, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Fri May 06, 2016 11:16 am

Video playthrough made:

This is quite a nice SMB1 level! It brings back the true SMB1 feeling pretty nicely.

Return to “The Trash Can”