Underruins (fixed v2.0)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Underruins (fixed v2.0)

Postby Cedrik » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Somethink to read:
Spoiler: show
A Undertale Ruins level.
It is medium, the boss is hard.
With checkpoint,
a lot of secrets.
(NO BIG BACKTRACKING!)
With a gimmick!
Screenshot [first secton] (The SMB1 axel are going to be invisible!):
Downloard (v2.0):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsckgrhkh1f6q ... 0.zip?dl=0

Credits:
Zant for the Undertale Ruins Tileset,
Toby Fox for the Undertale Soundtrack.
UPDATE:
-fixed yellow koopa shell
-fixed warp on the end
-make the boss a little bit easyer
-you can stand on the boss (like in v1.0), because I want it!
Last edited by Cedrik on Thu May 05, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bossedit8
Banned

Re: Underruins

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:27 pm

I was trying to play this level, was alright and such until I hit a warp pipe that goes up instead of down at this section and then I died in the process because the exit warp is touching the level's boundry which is a very bad idea:

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Are the axes invisible in the level?
Also, I think this level looks okay, I do have two complaints though.
I like how you did the same gimmick SuperMario7 does where platforms fall above you, but I think it would be better to dig the axes into the blocks a little so you won't miss easily via Super Leaf or Tanooki suit.
Is there supposed to be a way to talk to that sign if it's all alone in a corner and thus there being no supportive platform other than the falling block?

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Ness-Wednesday wrote:Are the axes invisible in the level?
Yes, they are invisible.
Ness-Wednesday wrote:Is there supposed to be a way to talk to that sign if it's all alone in a corner and thus there being no supportive platform other than the falling block?
You can, after you read the signs that looks like that they're hard to reach you get a reward and then blocks appear that you can go back up again without any troubles.

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:58 pm

This level was... alright
First off, the purple munchers have 1x1 pixels, did you use MS paint to make them?
Secondly, the yellow koopa shell animation is broken, please fix this
And third, like what bossedit said, the pipe before the generic mother brain boss fight is broken. This is not a good sign.
Video:

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:38 am

bossedit8 wrote:I was trying to play this level, was alright and such until I hit a warp pipe that goes up instead of down at this section and then I died in the process because the exit warp is touching the level's boundry which is a very bad idea:

Ups...I forgot to save after I fixed it.

And: I don't used MS Paint, I used P.net, but my computer automatidly saved it with MS.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:28 am

Playthrough made:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH_RMQ9TAdA

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: Underruins (fixed v2.0)

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Yes! Finally a good level to review.

Review of Underruins

Level Design and Gameplay (weighed 70%): 8.9/10
This level was really quite something. It played really nicely and had some creative yet not overly complicated gimmicks. The level flowed really nicely and worked in a lot of different challenges that all seemed fair. NPC placement was really good throughout, including a nice spread of coins and power-ups, and the variety seemed enjoyable and not too much. The placement of different secrets was very clever as well. The biggest thing that made this level stand out to me from others is the compexity of the design, but to a degree that it isn't overpowering. The details used were really nice and contributed to a very pleasant and almost dreamy yet mysterious atmosphere. I didn't think that the sped-up yellow Koopa Troopas really made sense or added anything to the level. In some places as well, the hit ?-blocks didn't really seem to work, such as in the boss battle, and seemed to take away from the atmosphere and design quality of the level. It also would have been nice to give the player a hint that they needed to collect the Red Coins in the second section to progress, since you did give other pointers throughout. Natural curiousity directed me to collect all of them without knowing their purpose, however it would be better if that was a little clearer. And what's an SMBX boss battle without Rinka spam and a Mother Brain reskin? The design of the room is a little less in quality terms than the rest of the level, due to the hit ?-blocks being used in a way that doesn't look great as I mentioned earlier. The sheer amount of Rinkas was a little overpowering although not awful, however it may be beneficial to reduce Temmie's HP to 4-5 either by Layers and Events or Lua. Even in God mode, the battle took a really long time because the bombs you have to use to hit Temmie are often destroyed by Rinkas before you reach him/her/it. Other than that though, the gameplay, level design, and atmosphere of this level was fantastic.

Graphics and Sounds (weighed 30%): 9.3/10
The graphics in this level and their use to develop a complex atmosphere was great. They were very detailed and unqiue in their colouration. The only real issue I could find with the graphics is the 1x1 pixels on the Munchers. Temmie and his/her/it's projectiles also didn't exactly fit, however they weren't a big problem. Other than that though, this level was graphically fantastic. The music was also great and almost dreamy, further helping to develop the atmosphere and almost put the player into a trance. A little bit more variation for the music for the Temmie battle could work, however right now it still works fine with the consistency of a dreamy sound.

Overall: 9.02/10 (The Best)

Congratulations!

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:15 pm

PixelPest wrote:Yes! Finally a good level to review.

Review of Underruins

Level Design and Gameplay (weighed 70%): 8.9/10
This level was really quite something. It played really nicely and had some creative yet not overly complicated gimmicks. The level flowed really nicely and worked in a lot of different challenges that all seemed fair. NPC placement was really good throughout, including a nice spread of coins and power-ups, and the variety seemed enjoyable and not too much. The placement of different secrets was very clever as well. The biggest thing that made this level stand out to me from others is the compexity of the design, but to a degree that it isn't overpowering. The details used were really nice and contributed to a very pleasant and almost dreamy yet mysterious atmosphere. I didn't think that the sped-up yellow Koopa Troopas really made sense or added anything to the level. In some places as well, the hit ?-blocks didn't really seem to work, such as in the boss battle, and seemed to take away from the atmosphere and design quality of the level. It also would have been nice to give the player a hint that they needed to collect the Red Coins in the second section to progress, since you did give other pointers throughout. Natural curiousity directed me to collect all of them without knowing their purpose, however it would be better if that was a little clearer. And what's an SMBX boss battle without Rinka spam and a Mother Brain reskin? The design of the room is a little less in quality terms than the rest of the level, due to the hit ?-blocks being used in a way that doesn't look great as I mentioned earlier. The sheer amount of Rinkas was a little overpowering although not awful, however it may be beneficial to reduce Temmie's HP to 4-5 either by Layers and Events or Lua. Even in God mode, the battle took a really long time because the bombs you have to use to hit Temmie are often destroyed by Rinkas before you reach him/her/it. Other than that though, the gameplay, level design, and atmosphere of this level was fantastic.

Graphics and Sounds (weighed 30%): 9.3/10
The graphics in this level and their use to develop a complex atmosphere was great. They were very detailed and unqiue in their colouration. The only real issue I could find with the graphics is the 1x1 pixels on the Munchers. Temmie and his/her/it's projectiles also didn't exactly fit, however they weren't a big problem. Other than that though, this level was graphically fantastic. The music was also great and almost dreamy, further helping to develop the atmosphere and almost put the player into a trance. A little bit more variation for the music for the Temmie battle could work, however right now it still works fine with the consistency of a dreamy sound.

Overall: 9.02/10 (The Best)

Congratulations!
.....WHAT?!?!
wow

Sometimes, fixes are good.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:30 am

PP's score doesn't line up with his elaboration imo. I'd have subtracted more for the lackluster bossfight.

To add to that, I personally don't see any complex atmosphere and surprisingly complex design.
I'm not a big fan of the janky gimmicks which could've been conveyed far better. The red coins are one thing, but announcing timers to the player (falling rocks, boss fight) just flat out rip the player right out of the experience.

Imo the level's good, but nothing really special. It does one or two nice thing under the undertale premise, but that's about it. If you want a number from me, have a 7.

Return to “The Best”