Super Mario-Troid - New Screenshots 6/22

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Super Mario-Troid - New Screenshots 6/22

Postby LM280 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:19 pm

This is a Metroid-style episode where you end up stranded on a planet and find new abilities which allow you to access new areas. So basically metroid.

Story (WIP):
Spoiler: show
After Mario tracked Bowser Jr to a vessel on the outskirts of the Mushroom Galaxy, he defeated the Koopa prince, causing him to flee and self-destruct the frigate. Mario narrowly escapes the crashing ship, and finds himself in a damaged state. He must recover his latent abilities and explore this planet to track the Koopa Troop and discover their plans.
Items:
Image Jump Boots: Returns Mario's latent ability to jump into the air.

Image Mushroom: Makes Mario tall, allows him to break brick blocks from beneath by jumping into them.

Image Spinjump Boots: Returns Mario's latent ability to spinjump, allows him to break turn blocks from above by spinjumping on them.

Image Fire Flower: Gives Mario the ability to shoot fireballs and kill many enemies, allows him to melt frozen coins.

Image Gravity Cap: Returns Mario's latent ability to swim in water.

Image Super Leaf: Gives Mario raccoon powers, allows him to break bricks from the side with a tail whip and fly through the air after building up speed.

Image Varia Cap: Gives Mario the ability to resist the extreme heat of lava, so he can swim in it freely.

Image Ice Flower: Gives Mario the ability to shoot iceballs, allows him to freeze enemies into blocks he can stand on or pick up and throw.

Image Tanooki Suit: Gives Mario all the powers of the Super Leaf, additionally allows him to turn into a statue to break gray bricks and make invisible stone blocks appear.

Image Hi-Jump Boots: Gives Mario the ability to jump much higher than before when standing on flat ground.

Image Hammer Suit: Gives Mario the ability to throw hammers, allows him to break gray bricks.

Image Space Jump Boots: Gives Mario the ability to jump repeatedly in the air, giving him near limitless access to areas.
Enemies You May Not Know:
Image Shy Stack: Two Shy Guys stacked on top of one another. Five hits will defeat it, leaving two stone statues behind.

Image Angry Bob-Bomb: Steer clear of this Bob-Bomb, because one jump will cause it to explode in your face.

Image Koopa Ripper: A Mario spin on a Metroid classic. These Koopas were outfitted with rockets on their backs, which can be safely jumped on.

Image Lava Ripper: A few of the Koopa Rippers had their shells infused with magma to keep Mario from jumping on them. They can only be safely jumped on if they are frozen.
New Screenshots!

Screenshots: Progress:
4 out of 12 Major Items Added
Small Logo:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13593][img]http://i.imgur.com/ecMGgjw.png[/img][/url]
Download: (LunaDLL Required)
Demo 2

Included in the .zip are Super Metroid style maps of the two areas that are currently available. They are .pdn files, with unchecked layers that for an optional hint system similar to Super Metroid Redesign. To use it, simply turn on the layer in Paint.NET when you get the item, and turn it off when you get the next item. For example, when you get the Jump Boots, turn on the "Jump Boots Hints" layer, and when you get the Mushroom, turn off the "Jump Boots Hints" layer and turn on the "Mushroom Hints" layer.
Sidenote:
1-Up Mushrooms provide no use in this episode because the save system leaves no difference between losing a life and getting a game over. So, they are there to be awards just to make you feel good or some shit I guess. If anyone can think of something better to put there, lemme know!
Last edited by LM280 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Re: Super Mario-Troid (Special Preview!)

Postby Alagirez » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:36 pm

Oh wow the gradient between grass and cave looks super neat! Other than looks nice and detailed, although the lab(?) tileset looks little bit weird IMO... (look at the first screen)

LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby LM280 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks! I made it myself. But yeah, I was thinking about maybe changing that tileset.

LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby LM280 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Updated with Beta 1.1. I had accidentally forgotten to change one of the warps in a duplicate level, so that if you had stopped to save in Shygon Wastes after getting the Mushroom, if you returned from Koopteria back to Shygon, it would be as if you had returned to the level as it was before you had visited it in the first time. It also prevents you from getting to past where the bricks in Koopteria are, because you'll find an empty level past there instead of the "end" of the demo.

LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Super Mario-Troid (New Screenshots 4/20 Blaze It)

Postby LM280 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:40 pm

New Screenshots, including a new section of Koopteria!

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Alagirez » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:43 pm

The new screens looks nice and detailed, but the glasses in the cave looks little bit odd IMO (they're supposed to be a window i think). Anyways, Good job. I recommend you add some coins.

LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby LM280 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:44 am

The glass in the cave is this game's equivalent to this:

But I am considering making it all one large pane of glass. Do you guys think that would be better?

EDIT: You can't see it in the screenshot, but before you break the gray bricks, you won't be in water physics, like in Super Metroid.
Last edited by LM280 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Legend_of_Link
Rex
Rex

Postby The_Legend_of_Link » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:51 pm

oh my godness cheseburgers!
This project is amazing!
Keep it up!

Enchlore
Spike
Spike

Postby Enchlore » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:33 pm

The design and graphics look competent enough, but I agree that the glass pieces look odd. Larger panes of glass would be better.

VaatiWindMage
Bit
Bit

Postby VaatiWindMage » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:17 pm

playing this the day it comes out, it's designed wonderfully

LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Super Mario-Troid (Huge Shygon Wastes Screenshot)

Postby LM280 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:12 pm

So I haven't been able to get a lot of work done recently, so here's a little something.
(Full Size Image: http://i.imgur.com/4e2ZhgE.png)

I assembled a map of the first accessible area of Shygon Wastes during the section where you get the first mushroom. (Of course it doesn't fit completely together) Enjoy!

LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Super Mario-Troid (Huge Shygon Wastes Screenshot)

Postby LM280 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:06 am

New screenshots!

Fixed Glass Tunnel:
There's also a small new area of Koopteria I've been working on. While searching for boots to regain his Spinjump power, Mario comes across a mostly abandoned lab used by the Koopas.

Enchlore
Spike
Spike

Re: Super Mario-Troid (New Koopteria Screenshots!)

Postby Enchlore » Sun May 29, 2016 8:34 pm

The glass looks much better now! I don't have much else to say now, your project looks very well designed. The Metroid influence is quite clear.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: Super Mario-Troid (New Koopteria Screenshots!)

Postby Alagirez » Sun May 29, 2016 9:40 pm

Wow your new screenshots looks great! Especially the cave-machine(?) ones and it looks fun to play (i like how you mix the tilesets). And the glass looks better now. is that glass foreground?
I recommend you add some coins, but not too much.

LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Super Mario-Troid (Demo 2 6/5/16)

Postby LM280 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:01 pm

Updated with Demo 2, which includes the Spinjump Boots! I'm not planning to continue these demos for the entire project, but I thought a little something would be nice.

Also, the new demo contains updated maps with a hint system straight out of Super Metroid Redesign. The maps are now .pdn files, with layers called "Jump Boots Hints", "Mushroom Hints" etc. You can turn on the layer every time you get a new item (if you want hints), and turn off the previous layer.

Example:

The green circle is an area you'll want to check out after you get the Mushroom.

LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Super Mario-Troid (Demo 2 6/5/16)

Postby LM280 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:57 pm

Updated the OP with an item list.

LM280
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Super Mario-Troid - New Screenshots 6/22

Postby LM280 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:23 pm

New Screenshots of the next area, where I'm sure you can guess what item you're here for.
First Corridor

Geothermal Station

First room of Phenpiranha Drifts, a new area you can explore once you have the Fire Flower. You can get a preview if you come here without it though.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Alagirez » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:36 pm

The new screenshots looks really nice, especially the lava level. I didn't see any flaws. Good luck!

Enchlore
Spike
Spike

Postby Enchlore » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Indeed, this is one of the most promising projects on the forum. I hope you can finish it.

AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Postby AirShip » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:47 am

This project has great potential, indeed, but what more bothers me is the clash caused by graphics metroid styled, I recommend you remake them for SMB3 styled, so everything would be perfect, IMO.

Anyways, I could make a title "better", if you want.

Return to “Projects”