Megaluavania (Undertale Recreation in SMBX!)

This is the place for discussion and support for LunaLua and related modifications and libraries.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Megaluavania (Undertale Recreation in SMBX!)

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:46 pm

I'm having the same problem, where attacking causes the level to go into a black screen
The message is:
Spoiler: show

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Alright, fixed the issue! https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7oga7ze0uz64 ... 1.zip?dl=0

I also made the gold and exp values for encounters optional. They now default to 0.

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:36 pm

I encountered another problem (at least with mine)
In the
Soul fight
, whenever it does the Undyne defense with the green heart, it crashes the level
This is the message:

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:57 am

afanguy
Spiny
Spiny

Postby afanguy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:04 am

Thank you. I'll test it tomorrow. I still can't really believe that this is real, even though i already played it myself. Hate to bother you again, but is there a way to trigger these fights on SMBX events and if yes, how? Thanks alot in advance. I hope you keep making things like this. I also hope I didn't bother you too much. See ya.

Edit: Okay, I tested it now and..... I hate myself to bother you again, becaue I bet you got better things to do, so I am REALLY SORRY, but *sigh* doesn't work at all anymore. So, I think it's just ME who has done something wrong. So here is what I did: I installed LunaLua O.7.3 BETA for vanilla SMBX + launcher as a standalone executable (Yeah, my keyboard is a little broken, so i can't write zeros), I put the folder from .zip into the worlds folder and that's it. Please tell me, if I did something wrong there.

Edit after Edit: Okay, after I wrote that addition, I tried the earlier patch which at least works. Still the green soul and dying make it crash, but atleast attacking works. But now items don't work. *sigh* Seems it's rather my problem, just tell me if I need to install a different version of LunaLua or an extra-API or anything. Take your time, I hate to bother you. Thanks (again) in advance. Also thanks for helping, I really apreciate it.

Another Edit (Hooray!): I think I don't have Visual Studio and that might be the problem. I'm intalling it now and hope it works then, but as I said, please tell me, if I need an API or a different version of LunaLua. Thanks. See ya!
Last edited by afanguy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:31 am

Yeah, just set the event property of an encounter to the name of an SMBX event, like

Code: Select all

local encounter = megaluavania.newEncounter();
encounter.event = "the name of the SMBX event"

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:24 pm

afanguy wrote: Visual Studio
Like Microsoft visual studio?

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:13 pm

afanguy wrote:Edit: Okay, I tested it now and..... I hate myself to bother you again, becaue I bet you got better things to do, so I am REALLY SORRY, but *sigh* doesn't work at all anymore. So, I think it's just ME who has done something wrong. So here is what I did: I installed LunaLua O.7.3 BETA for vanilla SMBX + launcher as a standalone executable (Yeah, my keyboard is a little broken, so i can't write zeros), I put the folder from .zip into the worlds folder and that's it. Please tell me, if I did something wrong there.

Edit after Edit: Okay, after I wrote that addition, I tried the earlier patch which at least works. Still the green soul and dying make it crash, but atleast attacking works. But now items don't work. *sigh* Seems it's rather my problem, just tell me if I need to install a different version of LunaLua or an extra-API or anything. Take your time, I hate to bother you. Thanks (again) in advance. Also thanks for helping, I really apreciate it.

Another Edit (Hooray!): I think I don't have Visual Studio and that might be the problem. I'm intalling it now and hope it works then, but as I said, please tell me, if I need an API or a different version of LunaLua. Thanks. See ya!
What errors do you get?

afanguy
Spiny
Spiny

Postby afanguy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:07 am

Spinda wrote:What errors do you get?
I made a little chart with all error messages "I was able to get". Every error, every version.

Here it is: (It's kinda big, so sorry about that)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt_The_Slime wrote:Like Microsoft visual studio?
Yeah, I tried installing it... It didn't really change anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Okay, maybe it's the lua version. What version did you test it on?

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Alright, yeah, it happened because one function used too many local variables from outside of it, basically. Visual Studio didn't have anything to do with it. Here's the updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfvsm7ls6tj9p ... 3.zip?dl=0

Also, a huge thanks to everyone helping me catch those errors! Everything that you mentioned should be fixed now...

... aside from that killing thing you mentioned. Does this happen consistently? Because I have no clue as to why that happened.

afanguy
Spiny
Spiny

Postby afanguy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:47 pm

Spinda wrote:Alright, yeah, it happened because one function used too many local variables from outside of it, basically. Visual Studio didn't have anything to do with it. Here's the updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfvsm7ls6tj9p ... 3.zip?dl=0

Also, a huge thanks to everyone helping me catch those errors! Everything that you mentioned should be fixed now...

... aside from that killing thing you mentioned. Does this happen consistently? Because I have no clue as to why that happened.
Okay, thanks alot and you're welcome for helping you catch those errors. My bug report: First of all: Dying seems to still cause an error, which isn't really that big of a problem, since you don't really wanna die, right? (The error message might be the same, but I'm not sure) The green soul worked fine, but the purple soul had one problem; you can't see the purple lines. Also after choosing "Help" after the purple soul attack I just got a error message "attempt to index a nil value". Those are all the things I found. I will tell you if I find more since it's the only way I can help and I wanna help since this is really cool. Oh and by the way: The thing that happend when killing Joey just randomly happened when I wanted to see if killing works. Doesn't really happen anymore.

Also: Where did you get that awesome battle theme remix for the Joey Encounter? It's awesome!

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:57 pm

afanguy wrote:
Spinda wrote:Alright, yeah, it happened because one function used too many local variables from outside of it, basically. Visual Studio didn't have anything to do with it. Here's the updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfvsm7ls6tj9p ... 3.zip?dl=0

Okay, thanks alot and you're welcome for helping you catch those errors. My bug report: First of all: Dying seems to still cause an error, which isn't really that big of a problem, since you don't really wanna die, right? (The error message might be the same, but I'm not sure) The green soul worked fine, but the purple soul had one problem; you can't see the purple lines. Also after choosing "Help" after the purple soul attack I just got a error message "attempt to index a nil value". Those are all the things I found. I will tell you if I find more since it's the only way I can help and I wanna help since this is really cool. Oh and by the way: The thing that happend when killing Joey just randomly happened when I wanted to see if killing works. Doesn't really happen anymore.

Also: Where did you get that awesome battle theme remix for the Joey Encounter? It's awesome!
Hmm, that's strange. Gonna have to have a look at that later.

Also, pretty sure I know the cause for the purple soul. I'll see if I can fix everything soon.

This is the music I used for the Joey fight.

afanguy
Spiny
Spiny

Postby afanguy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:37 am

You wouldn't mind me putting the logo of Megaluavania with a link in my signature to support this project, would you?

It would look like this:

[url=http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=13537][img]http://i.imgur.com/zGsecz6.png[/img][/url]

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:33 am

afanguy wrote:You wouldn't mind me putting the logo of Megaluavania with a link in my signature to support this project, would you?

It would look like this:

[url=http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=13537][img]http://i.imgur.com/zGsecz6.png[/img][/url]
No problem!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kw45b5fb45q3 ... 4.zip?dl=0

Here's the new download link.

Also, if all goes well, the next update will add the yellow soul!

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:48 pm

The new update worked perfectly for me :D
It didn't crash at all, and the only problem I could find were a couple of graphical glitches here and there (sometimes the text or edge of the box flickered), but it overall was amazing
If I were to fix something, when you hit something, reduce the amount they'll fly to the left, as it is quite a lot, and in the game it is less.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Could you give an example of where you encountered the flickering exactly?

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:58 pm

(Before I went on smbx)
It'll be kind of hard, but I'll try
(After I went on smbx)
In this image, the letter K was moving around a bit. Some other letters did too, like U, M, and *
Maybe its intentional, I don't know

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:00 pm

The UI text sometimes shaking on certain letters is a feature in Undertale, too.

afanguy
Spiny
Spiny

Postby afanguy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Spinda wrote:
afanguy wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kw45b5fb45q3 ... 4.zip?dl=0

Here's the new download link.

Also, if all goes well, the next update will add the yellow soul!
Bug-/Errorreport as usual:
I didn't find any problems. As soon as I know how to properly use this, I'll do something with this.

I really think this (re-)creation should get more attention.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:39 pm

http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... 16#p209547

Huge update! I hope that everyone is satisfied with the changes I made.

Return to “LunaLua”