If I win I'll make a tattoo in my arm.
A tattoo saying "Vanilla Master"
Huehuehue

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Re: SVLC 2016

Postby h2643 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:51 pm

Sux wrote:If I win I'll make a tattoo in my arm.
A tattoo saying "Vanilla Master"
Huehuehue
Don't forget to send us your irl photo with that tattoo lol

Nat The Porcupine
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Nat The Porcupine » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:52 pm

Spinda wrote:
Nat The Porcupine wrote:
Spoiler: show
Turtwig wrote: you're taking this way too seriously
By telling others not to take this too seriously or disrespect others?
By thinking that others are taking it seriously.
OK, fair enough.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Nat The Porcupine wrote:
Turtwig wrote:
Nat The Porcupine wrote:
I can't help but feel somewhat responsible for this. It doesn't really matter who wins. You know who should really win? Whichever one of us made the best level of course!

You people don't even know anything about our levels yet, so it's silly to route for someone's level when you haven't the slightest idea of what our levels are even named. I understand some of you guys really want to hear me sing, but come on, openly disrespecting Camacho & Sux? I hope this is a joke, because if not, it's simply appaulling behavior!

I know it's not really my place, but please, no more of this. It's not like the results will be any different if you root for someone. Besides, if I don't "win", so what? Believe me, there will plenty more opportunities to hear my voice even if I don't place 1st.
you're taking this way too seriously
By telling others not to take this too seriously or disrespect others?
The part about you telling people not to disrespect Sux/Camacho. I'm not saying that they shouldn't win, but people saying they want you to win because you say you'll sing Radioactive is clearly a joke :P

Nat The Porcupine
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Nat The Porcupine » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:36 pm

Still waiting for the announcer of the results to show up.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Nat The Porcupine wrote:Still waiting for the announcer of the results to show up.

Hopefully, you will win this. Best of luck to you, as well as Camacho and Sux.

Nat The Porcupine
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Nat The Porcupine » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Linik wrote:
Nat The Porcupine wrote:Still waiting for the announcer of the results to show up.

Hopefully, you will win this. Best of luck to you, as well as Camacho and Sux.
I just hope my phone lives long enough for me to see the results upon release :P

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Probs gonna still be between a few hours. Take a walk or something.

snoruntpyro
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: she/her

Postby snoruntpyro » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Goodbye Waddle Derp, we'll miss you :c

Pyro spots the top 3:

Tier 6 - Top 3

3. Nat The Porcupine - Creep-vine Clouds - 8.08
Bossedit8 - 8.25
SMB2 level with SMB elements... which means there are no grass to pick up from the ground. Then you got vines... dodging grinders. Pretty cool I must say except when you have to wait until the vine comes up if you come up at the incorrect timing. I do like the section transitions like everything is in one section but it gets vertical then horizontal again later on. Then at the end you get a spiny egg attached to the vine... interesting and if you're good enough you can skip it at the complete top of it since there's nothing blocking you at the top of the screen.

Wraith Adamknight - 7.85
I fucking loved this level. This is was a great SMB2 level with cool vine-based transportation gimmicks. However, this very gimmick was a big downfall for your level. The first major one you ride is on an automatic event, so it can just be gone by the time you reach its start point. This means the player will just either sit there trying to figure out what is going on or try their hardest to pass the obstacle and die. The screen altering was a nice touch, but waiting for it to activate every time I die is very annoying. I recommend just separating these sections.

Zipper - 7.30
You would not BELIEVE how scared I was when I saw vines and moving layers in the same level. Thankfully, it worked out just fine and I could easily discover how beautifully crafted this level is. By means of moving vines, it creates simple, short bursts of challenges involving dodging, while still giving the player time to prepare beforehand. The vertical section felt like a nice change of pace, and it felt like a different area despite it only being one screen above the previous area. I sort of wish it lasted a little longer, with a few breaks inbetween. In fact, I wish this whole thing lasted longer, with more varying obstacles. The idea itself is so fun, and you obviously know how to make it work. Something like tying it to a paratroopa or even a bullet bill(would that even work? hell if I know) could open some ridiculous scenarios. You got a good thing going, make it go further.

Chad - 7.50
Pretty good! A SMB1/SMB2 hybrid set to the SMB2 sky background is actually a really good unique mix in terms of how it's handled here. The design is very presentable, being a nice detailed mix of land, log bridges, and moving vines. The latter in particular is rarely utilized, and is applied to a clever range of obstacles in a very DKC-esque fashion. However, I think you could have had the first vine be activated via switch or something in order to keep players from waiting if they miss it, and the upper cloudy portion didn't need the Grinder that falls super fast and bounces back up. Perhaps you neglected to place an endpoint on that line? The Spiny egg-controlled one is really cool, though. Nice construction overall, nice gimmick, and nice use of the Position events too.

ElTipsta - 9.50
This level is fantastic! It's an SMB-SMB2 hybrid heaven level with moving layers and working gimmicks in SMBX. I like the moving vines and the one that was attached to the spike ball. Really nice level here, clearly made by someone who knows the editor well just a few less cloud BGOs and it'd be perfect.

2. Sux - Nothing Beyond The Subcon Land - 8.21
Bossedit8 - 8.00
SMB2 level then you go with a canyon with a bunch of legoblocks on your way with slow elevators after you hit a switch and then break the blocks with bombs after you hit a switch. Also random symbols in this level... I'm not sure how to feel about that. Anyway, power up and enemy placements were alright and it was pretty cool as of how it was structured. I like the legoblock placements but I do find it weird aswell. Also, random P with an arrow pointing down... what will happen if I jump down there. You die. Why is it there? To confuse the player? Ok. I do like that you get out of your way to get to the key with some Z2 enemies and then you can go further. At the end there's your star. Alright.

Wraith was replaced with SSX for this level, since Wraith's original score for this level was below 1 point, which was more than 9 points difference between the highest and the lowest score given, so I had to get a third opinion.
Yes Wraith, you decided to up your score on this level to 3.something later on, but I decided to go with this score, not because it was the higher score, but because it was more reflective of my own opinion on this level. Personally, I would've given it about 5 points, too.

ShadowStarX - 5.75
Hm, I found this level averagely enjoyable and it wasn’t repetitive thanks to the right amount of variety. There was some backtracking which I didn’t really appreciate, true it was acceptable and I kinda liked the way the walls were destroyed. I found the NPC placement a bit too crowded too, but at least it wasn’t a cluttered a mess. Overall, this is a decent level true it has quite a few flaws.

Zipper - 9.30
>this many explosions
Holy crap. You actually took the SMB2 grasslands theme, gave it an adventurous feeling and made it FUN. I didn't believe that was possible. The beginning was nice and soft, short and to the point, and full of explosions. And then we get to a temple themed area that....actually translates really well into the SMB2 theme. I'm surprised! The first area had a lot of vertical focus, while still making the player do work horizontally to trigger explosions that opened pathways. Not too hard, not too annoying, very lovable. Except for the mushroom stacking part. Please kill it.
The inside of the temple had very interesting aesthetics, but I don't know if I should call it the best possible option. The lego graphics started to hurt my eyes after a while(The memes hurt my soul as well). However, enemy placement was well thought out. Snifits were in places you could notice, the Thwomp was used sparingly, and the Ninjis were cleverly available as platforms over some areas. Sadly you can kill them and screw yourself out of a mushroom pretty easily. Oh well, ~skill indexing~.
The last area was sort of a mix between the previous two areas, and it worked well! It required a little precise platforming, and then a very short ride across a moving platform, with very minimal but still notable risk of death, which is a great amount to have.
Overall, I had a VERY pleasant time playing this. It got a little repetetive towards the end, but it was still so engaging that I don't mind that in the long run. I'd say maybe like 0.3 out of the 1 point I cut off was from that. The rest was from the legos and the mushroom stacks I guess :P

Chad - 10.00 (Chad's Favorite, in case you didn't notice.)
This is a pretty incredible level! It's such an intricate and mysterious cliffside-sky-rainbow-castle-ruins scenario, which actually ends up flowing together a lot more logically and whimsically than that sounds. There's a huge variety of climbing, tricky jumps, events, explorative puzzles, and generators in order to keep the level feeling fresh and different. On top of that, there's a ton of detail in every place and care put into every obstacle that the whole thing was really impressive and fun. The difficulty's tricky but not stressful, it's a bit on the long side but engaging enough to be worth it, and has a super compelling atmosphere. Really awesome work here.

ElTipsta - 8.00
This level is impressive. It takes the SMB2 theme and expands on it to make a temple level in the mountains which I quite enjoyed.There is a large amount of variety in the gimmmicks used, plus the events used for the bomb spawners was also nice to see in the first rising section. The length was good, powerup placement was generous. The Dragon Coins were fair. I was sorta expecting a boss but I think the level is better without one.

1. Team Animal Jam Rocks (Camacho) - Woodfall Breeze - 8.23
Bossedit8 - 8.75
I like that level. Woods in the sky with a decent amount of moving platform variety going on. Enemies were alrightly placed throughout the level and the power up placements, were a bit too many (for 2 players it would of been far more suitable for sure) but it wasn't too bad either. About the concept, pressing switches to let red blocks disappear, was ok then a random spiderweb appeared, acting as instant warps to another spiderweb... pretty weird I must say for a sky level haha. There's a secret star aswell if you backtrack to that one point after you pressed the switch... wasn't too bad at least since you even get a Tanooki Suit by that. At the end, the star is for you after being at the wooden clouds with random spiderwebs acting as teleporters and moving wooden platforms on lines or no lines aswell.

Wraith Adamknight - 8.20
I liked what this level did with the “spider portals.” It really helped reduce the amount of time wasted running back and forth. I can foresee this becoming a staple in designing, should it be as well received as I wish it to be. This still doesn’t take away the fact this level was constructed with artificial extensions. Meaning, you are intentionally keeping the player from going forward just to waste their time.
I recommend adding in an entirely separate side-path in order to help the fact the level is so linear. Outside of this, I really don’t have any other suggestions.

Zipper - 8.70
Oooooh, that fresh new sky feeling. I do like how this level was structured. Bizarre wood buildings hanging in the sky, tied by thin ropes. It's a treat to carefully traverse from island to island, while being very careful to avoid the huge pits scattered throughout. The level has a focus on tight and sometimes very dangerous jumps, and it shows right from the start with 1-block platforms laid in front of you. Overall, I found platform placement done extremely well. Hanging blocks that are spread apart well, moving platforms that circle around in a difficult but acceptable pattern, koopa-troopas spaced between jumps. I'm also glad you provided portals that return you to the point you went into a split path from, really saves time and risk that could otherwise be troublesome. The ice flower was a godsend here, being able to create platforms out of enemies, and taking out more dangerous enemies like buzzy beetles and munchers. The music blocks were a nice touch as well. If there's one thing I'd like to point out, it's that a more dynamic level would've taken this level from great to godlike. Some moving platforms, some more lifts and you got a flawless formula going.

Chad - 6.70
This is a great visual style for a level! It's a very elaborate and polished form of SMB3 athletic that's actually pretty creative. The gameplay is solid and makes clever use of pipes, switches, line platforms, moving layers, and a unique warp system. It takes you in all directions to give a feeling of exploration as well. It ran on a bit long and sort of repeated the same stuff after a while, and interactions are mostly standard, but it's pretty well-made and I had a good time with it.

ElTipsta - 9.00
A really impressive sky level. The amount of depth present in the visual design is impressive. Not many custom graphic levels use the wood blocks in such a way. It's clear you put a lot of work into this and it shows. The design itself is also grand, the portals were very creative idea in terms of the execution. I hope this level does well, I have no issues with it.

0. Pichu - pairo wa dorkatrondesu - 8.29
pichu wins
BONUS:
Last edited by snoruntpyro on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:44 pm

Congratulations Pichu Camacho my friend. You really deserved that win. I hope you do well in the rest of TTK's contests as well.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Um, sorry Sux, hope you're not mad at me...
Congratz to all 3 of you anyways...
Last edited by ShadowStarX on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zipper
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Zipper » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:46 pm

congrats to pichu for winning autumn vanilla level contest

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Waddle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:48 pm

snoruntpyro wrote:Goodbye Waddle Derp, we'll miss you :c
Farewell everyone,
I shall continue my miserable existence in a cave, living togeher in harmony with the noble wildlife of Krakatau.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Ness-Wednesday's mind explosion has stopped.
Anyways, congrats Camacho on winning the contest!
I'll also love to congrats Sux on 2nd and of course Nat for getting 3rd.
Also congrats to Pichu for getting a 10/10.

Wait, where are my manners time to make a image.
Last edited by Ness-Wednesday on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Congrats to pichu and everyone else.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Well... congrats to the winner!

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm fucking done

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm confused, what is this topic?

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Enjl wrote:I'm confused, what is this topic?
Camacho won, that is what the topic is.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:58 pm

What's a "won"? I think I have amnesia.

Return to “Level Contests”