CC levels should NOT be moved by a level judge's review

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

CC levels should NOT be moved by a level judge's review

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:31 am

I was thinking that CC levels should be moved depending on what's the total score.
To prevent the decency of levels ending up in the Trash Can when they got a 3, or crappy levels being sent to Average, etc.
I've seen this mess up horribly with CC levels, the worst would be the CC11 ones.
I would've stayed with CC levels being sent by the highest score, but it so uncommon now that unfairly, there was only one CC level that got reviewed and it's the only CC11 level that's in the trash can.
Idea would be basically, if you're total score matches any result, it should be sent to wherever it meets any section.
Yes, the same as normal level judging, but the levels should be moved depending by their final score, not any review whether official or not.

In addition, what if a CC level got very far, but it ends up in Average, especially if it's like top 20 far?

Edit: I think that's a little unfair, they should be able to review them, but not send them anywhere.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Re: CC levels should NOT be moved by a level judge's review

Postby ShadowStarX » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:48 am

I don't think any of the levels from the top 30 ever ended up in the average if we look at the contests on this forum.
The average score is kind of a good plan, but the restriction for that should be like 1 score less harsh. (p. good starting with 5, the best starting with 8 and etc)

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!

Postby Waddle » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:04 pm

Ness-Wednesday wrote:CC levels should NOT be moved by a level judge's review
Wait.. They aren't, right? I always thought the highest Judge score counted.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:05 pm

I think using the average is a good idea. It's what we're doing for level judge reviews in the levels forum anyways, and I think there's no reason to give contest levels a special treatment.

However, this will not prevent pretty good levels ending up in average. It will only cause more levels you might consider good to end up there, as the movement condition is no longer the highest of the 5 scores.
I don't think we need to add a "mercy rule" which ShadowStarX suggested, where everything is 1 score less harsh, though, because all that would do is cause confusion and make the system even more unfair than it is with the highest score counting.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:11 pm

I honesly wasn't aware of this being a thing, until now I was sure the only score taken in consideration was the final result seeing as it also contributed to the exact placement of the submitted level in the CC episode.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Enjl wrote:I think using the average is a good idea. It's what we're doing for level judge reviews in the levels forum anyways, and I think there's no reason to give contest levels a special treatment.

However, this will not prevent pretty good levels ending up in average. It will only cause more levels you might consider good to end up there, as the movement condition is no longer the highest of the 5 scores.
I don't think we need to add a "mercy rule" which ShadowStarX suggested, where everything is 1 score less harsh, though, because all that would do is cause confusion and make the system even more unfair than it is with the highest score counting.
Well, what about 0.5 score mercy? Since having the same would be way too much, since only podium levels have a higher score than 9 in CCs usually. But a lot of levels deserve to get in the best outside of the top 3. (and some contest winners didn't reach the avg. score of a 9 either)

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:02 pm

If you gave regular levels which end up in "The Best" 5 reviews from different people, they wouldn't be in "The Best" either.

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:35 pm

What we should do is throw out the highest and lowest scores and use the average of the remaining scores.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:44 pm

We're currently discussing as a team what to do about this issue and should have a decision made within the next day.
Ness-Wednesday wrote:In addition, what if a CC level got very far, but it ends up in Average, especially if it's like top 20 far?
I want to mention that just because a level placed well in a contest doesn't necessarily mean a level is good. We could theoretically have a top 10 that's stellar and then the rest of the levels all got below a 3/10 - this would make levels in the top 20 at the bottom of Average. Likewise, the top 30 levels could all be candidates for The Best. Level placement only describes level quality in relation to other levels - with just a placement you can determine which levels a certain level is better or worse than, but not how good that level itself is. However, we can usually assume that levels in the top 20 are at least decent, but again, placement has no effect on scores or categories.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”