SMBX Time Trialing Fun

This is the place for discussion and support for LunaLua and related modifications and libraries.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Re: SMBX Time Trialing Fun

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Spinda wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Can I use one of my long Community Contest levels in this? (If we use my terrible CC11 level, I have to change the checkpoint to something else since removing it makes the level impossible...)
hahahahahahahahahaha

no

sorry i dont think anyone wants 20 minute speedruns
hehe, It can be beaten in less then half that time.

Anyway, how are secret stars treated in these Speed runs?

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:38 pm

less than 10 minutes

incredible

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Spinda wrote:less than 10 minutes

incredible
Should I speed run it again with this lua script?

Also,
MidiGuyDP wrote:
, you should remove the luna file from the level and name it "lunaworld.lua" and place it outside of the graphcis folder.

MidiGuyDP
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MidiGuyDP » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:09 pm

I plan to have each level have it's own lundll file, as there my be some specific code for certain levels that may happen.

Also, if it's alright, I may shorten your level to something like 2-3 minute long or something like that (Once I get around to it.)

also since it's meant to be a castle, I'll have a look once a 1-2 and a 1-3 have been selected.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:32 pm

MidiGuyDP wrote:I plan to have each level have it's own lundll file, as there my be some specific code for certain levels that may happen.

Also, if it's alright, I may shorten your level to something like 2-3 minute long or something like that (Once I get around to it.)

also since it's meant to be a castle, I'll have a look once a 1-2 and a 1-3 have been selected.

Umm, this is with a truckload of lag. I also made a lot of mistakes! I can get to the mid-boss in 0:45.00 or less, but after that, their is so much lag, it is hard to do it without a mistake. I am determined to get a video of it beaten under five minutes!
Spoiler: show
Last edited by MECHDRAGON777 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MidiGuyDP
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MidiGuyDP » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:37 pm

Drat, if it's laggy, then It definitely would have to be shortened for sure. Also, considering the theme of the castle, it may fit better in a later world, since I was thinking a more basic castle for world 1.

Might even be a unique special world level or something.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:51 pm

I can send my original 1-C.

MidiGuyDP
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MidiGuyDP » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:18 pm

Sure go right ahead, show me what ya got. :)

snoruntpyro
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: she/her

Postby snoruntpyro » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Two suggestions -
- It'd be a good idea to make this into an API, so it can be used with any level rather than having to put it in levels' individual folders.
- It'd also be nice if there was an option to disable the auto-powerup thing.

EDIT: also oh nooooo i was looking at the code and you should probably just make it so it just auto-detects if you beat the level or not and stops the timer. I believe there's a player offset for that.

EDIT again: looks like there's no player offset. just use onNPCKill or something

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:52 pm

snoruntpyro wrote:Two suggestions -
- It'd be a good idea to make this into an API, so it can be used with any level rather than having to put it in levels' individual folders.
- It'd also be nice if there was an option to disable the auto-powerup thing.

EDIT: also oh nooooo i was looking at the code and you should probably just make it so it just auto-detects if you beat the level or not and stops the timer. I believe there's a player offset for that.

EDIT again: looks like there's no player offset. just use onNPCKill or something
You could also use "function onEnd"
MidiGuyDP wrote:Sure go right ahead, show me what ya got. :)
http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... ed#p141067

MidiGuyDP
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MidiGuyDP » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks for the suggest. Though I was thinking since the main focus was speedrunning through the level, I figured why not give the player some extra power to start with since in most cases stopping for a power up would definitely waste time

I was actually thinking of doing it with onNPCKill, though this seems to work ok too, though if I did would I have to write a function for every different level ending npc?

I thought a universal API for all levels would be handy, though this method seems alright, just incase there's some unique settings for certain levels that should arise.

EDIT: Function onEnd eh? Interesting ^^

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:57 pm

MidiGuyDP wrote:Thanks for the suggest. Though I was thinking since the main focus was speedrunning through the level, I figured why not give the player some extra power to start with since in most cases stopping for a power up would definitely waste time

I was actually thinking of doing it with onNPCKill, though this seems to work ok too, though if I did would I have to write a function for every different level ending npc?

I thought a universal API for all levels would be handy, though this method seems alright, just incase there's some unique settings for certain levels that should arise.

Actually, a speed run should be done starting small. Going for a power-up is not always the slower way depending on what is required to get the power-up and what the power-up actually is.
http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/LunaLua_events wrote:onExitLevel() nil This event is called, when the player exits the level (including exit by menu).
(LunaLua ≥v0.7) (Level only)

snoruntpyro
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: she/her

Postby snoruntpyro » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:25 am

MidiGuyDP wrote: I was actually thinking of doing it with onNPCKill, though this seems to work ok too, though if I did would I have to write a function for every different level ending npc?
No you don't. Just check if the npc id is eqaul to (exit obj 1) or if it's equal to (exit obj 2) etc and also check if the kill reason isn't 9 (despawning)
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that event is only called at the exact moment you exit the actual level, rather than hitting the goal. Unless I'm wrong. Can't test it right now.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 am

MidiGuyDP wrote:Thanks for the suggest. Though I was thinking since the main focus was speedrunning through the level, I figured why not give the player some extra power to start with since in most cases stopping for a power up would definitely waste time

What ever happened to this (Sorry if it is considered bumping)

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm a bit late but Level.winState may come in handy for stopping the timer.

MidiGuyDP
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MidiGuyDP » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:11 am

Sorry guys! I pretty much had lost interested. I should've mentioned something though. Sorry about that. X-x

That and there was a stage I wanted to add for 1-2, but I never got confirmation for it, so I never added it.

Though considering everything going on on my end, I think I'm gonna cancel it, unless someone else is interested in expanding on it, I'll post the most updated version when i get the chance.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:52 pm

MidiGuyDP wrote:Sorry guys! I pretty much had lost interested. I should've mentioned something though. Sorry about that. X-x

That and there was a stage I wanted to add for 1-2, but I never got confirmation for it, so I never added it.

Though considering everything going on on my end, I think I'm gonna cancel it, unless someone else is interested in expanding on it, I'll post the most updated version when i get the chance.
So much for having fun on this.

MidiGuyDP
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MidiGuyDP » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:44 pm

Sorry guys. I just don't see myself keeping up with this very well. (At least not very quickly anyway)

I can still probably do stuff, it'll probably just be very slow overall.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively easy cave level for 1-2?

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:54 pm

MidiGuyDP wrote:Sorry guys. I just don't see myself keeping up with this very well. (At least not very quickly anyway)

I can still probably do stuff, it'll probably just be very slow overall.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively easy cave level for 1-2?
I do, but it may be lost. in the contest held by KoolKat (A banned user), I used a Cave level that was my old 2-1 that I never publicly released. ...a user by the name of
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
made an episode of those level. the level that got 3rd place is my level, and the level I am recommending.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:05 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
MidiGuyDP wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively easy cave level for 1-2?
I do, but it may be lost. in the contest held by KoolKat (A banned user), I used a Cave level that was my old 2-1 that I never publicly released. ...a user by the name of
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
made an episode of those level. the level that got 3rd place is my level, and the level I am recommending.
I don't know; that level might be a bit too difficult for 1-2, especially if you don't fix the problems it has (ninja Thwomp, unintuitive dragon coin, etc.).

For those wondering, the level is here: http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... 20#p102998

Return to “LunaLua”