Castle of Complication

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Castle of Complication

Postby Mr Boring » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:36 pm

I present to you all another level I made.

This time I made a level that is actually ORIGINAL. I actually made this level on Super Mario Maker first, then I submitted it to the game's course world. On Super Mario Maker, this level is "Castle of Complication 2"
because the first Castle of Complication I posted onto Mario Maker's course world is a remake of the final Super Mario Flash level. I made the second one onto here because it's original, and I didn't want to post another remake.

Download:
http://download855.mediafire.com/wfgh52 ... cation.zip
If that one doesn't work:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vqb0m ... cation.zip

Here are the differences with this one and the Super Mario Maker one:

Spoiler: show
  • Super Mario Maker only supports two sections, but in SMBX, I used seven sections.
  • Grinders have the ability to kill enemies in SMBX, so I either placed the enemies in different spots, or didn't use grinders.
  • In Super Mario Maker, I used Bowser, but in this level, Bowser Jr. was the boss.

Screenshots:

Spoiler: show

I made the graphics from Super Mario Maker (the hammer bros. and Bowser Jr.) and the Super Mario World playable Small Mario and Luigi myself.

Please let me know what I should improve on in the future because I don't want to be the worst level designer on this forum, or a really bad one.

Last edited by Mr Boring on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Castle of Complication

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:04 pm

The screens are broken.

Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Postby Mr Boring » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:13 pm

MosaicMario wrote:The screens are broken.
That's odd. I still see them.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:44 pm

Please upload your screenshots to a file hosting site such as Imgur or Photobucket.

Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Postby Mr Boring » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:27 pm

PixelPest wrote:Please upload your screenshots to a file hosting site such as Imgur or Photobucket.
I posted them to Imgur, but I already put them on Mediafire. How the fudge did nobody see the screenshots?! :?: I saw them!

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:15 am

Mr Boring wrote:
PixelPest wrote:Please upload your screenshots to a file hosting site such as Imgur or Photobucket.
I posted them to Imgur, but I already put them on Mediafire. How the fudge did nobody see the screenshots?! :?: I saw them!
I see them, too.
I don't know what the problem is.

Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Postby Mr Boring » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:43 pm

I have a feeling that people are afraid to review because of that big deal I made about everybody hating the boss rush I made. You guys can go ahead and offer all the criticism you want. I'm not going to say people are hating me when they critique my work anymore.

Maybe I'm "begging" for reviews too much...

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:54 pm

It's been like two days. Sometimes levels go over a week without getting a review.

Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Postby Mr Boring » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:59 pm

HenryRichard wrote:It's been like two days. Sometimes levels go over a week without getting a review.
Good point. It might also depend on the user's popularity.

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Most levels take a month before getting a review. There's even a level from November that still haven't been reviewed yet.

DragonlorSCB
Goomba
Goomba

Postby DragonlorSCB » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:22 am

I tried out Castle of Complication and I'll pass along my thoughts to you here. I'm fairly new to making Mario levels so weigh what I have to say accordingly.

The difficulty is probably on par with one of the early Super Mario World castles. The blocks and enemies all seemed to match the Super Mario World theme well. I enjoyed the boss fight section. The background tiles similar to the final SMW boss section was a nice touch. The fight itself felt like your classic Mario boss fight. Straightforward but with a couple fireballs to keep you honest. I also think the power-up placement is good and the level has the right amount of power-ups for it.

Here are some thoughts on things that can be improved upon:
  1. The level could use some coins. There are a couple inside of question blocks but overall adding some coins would make the level feel more lively.
  2. The level also needs some more background blocks throughout to color it a bit.
  3. A lot of the level is pretty flat but especially the long flat pathways in Section 3 could be spiced up a bit with some more block variety there.
  4. A nitpicky note about the stairs right above you at the start of Section 3. There is a none-stair block in the middle of it and then it ends with a required jump. It makes the staircase look odd.
  5. I feel the main background image on the boss fight is out of place. Even a blank black background might have fit better than the current one.
  6. The level title made me think the level would be like a puzzle challenge but the only choice presented to the player is in section 3 where they just have to do trial and error until they get the correct door. Maybe add more puzzle elements in future complication castles.

Happy creating!

Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Postby Mr Boring » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:46 pm

DragonlorSCB wrote: I also think the power-up placement is good and the level has the right amount of power-ups for it.
I actually used power-ups in every "section"(in quotes because Super Mario Maker really only allows 2 sections) of this level in Super Mario Maker, so I used an acceptable amount of power-ups in this version based on advice from another level.

[quote="DragonolorSCB] The level also needs some more background blocks throughout to color it a bit.[/quote]

I couldn't think of any good BGOs or background blocks for this level. Maybe the scenery from Super Mario Maker.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:23 am

Mr Boring wrote: I couldn't think of any good BGOs or background blocks for this level. Maybe the scenery from Super Mario Maker.
You could just look here for SMW castle BGOs. There are also many BGOs for castles here too.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:06 am

Mr Boring wrote: Good point. It might also depend on the user's popularity.
Stop whining about popularity already it's annoying and makes you look like a person who really is begging for attention.

Also this level wasn't really great.

- There was nothing special in it.
- Not much npc variety used
- NO Coins in the entire level. The only ones you get are before bowser jr.
- No bgos. No don't make the excuse "Oh boy Nintendo did that why should i." You already added mario maker npcs why didn't you add mario maker bgos at the first place?
- the smw mario in his small form looks strange when he moves.
- Not ever pipe needs a piranha plant specially in tight areas
- Lakitu was useless he can't even damage the player
- All Hammer brothers clap along to the music

Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Postby Mr Boring » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:13 pm

Tinkerbell wrote: Stop whining about popularity already it's annoying and makes you look like a person who really is begging for attention.
I wasn't begging for attention, idiot. I wasn't even whining about it. I'm just trying to make an observation, dummy. :x
Tinkerbell wrote: Also, this level wasn't really great.
You're not really great. If there isn't anything great about my levels it's the fact that you hate every piece of original work I did. Lol. :lol:

Also, latitu threw spinies. When I tested it a few times, latitu threw some onto the platform. Next time, think before you say Lakitu is useless.

Not every pipe has Pirahna plants, only the ones that you're supposed to go into. Are you blind?
Tinkerbell wrote: There was nothing special in it.
And there's nothing special about you. :lol:

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Wow butthurt rofl. Thats the typical people who completly ignore everything and never improve but insult those who give their opinions.

You haven't improve anything after that poor boss rush.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Mr Boring wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote: Stop whining about popularity already it's annoying and makes you look like a person who really is begging for attention.
I wasn't begging for attention, idiot. I wasn't even whining about it. I'm just trying to make an observation, dummy. :x
Tinkerbell wrote: Also, this level wasn't really great.
You're not really great. If there isn't anything great about my levels it's the fact that you hate every piece of original work I did. Lol. :lol:

Also, latitu threw spinies. When I tested it a few times, latitu threw some onto the platform. Next time, think before you say Lakitu is useless.

Not every pipe has Pirahna plants, only the ones that you're supposed to go into. Are you blind?
Tinkerbell wrote: There was nothing special in it.
And there's nothing special about you. :lol:
Ok, kid. Stop trying to argue with stupid comebacks and take the criticism. Tinkerbell knows what she's talking about, you're newer at this, listen to the good advice she gave about your level and ignore her cynical comments.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Calm down, both of you.

Tinkerbell: Making patronizing comments is unnecessary. If you find that he's being hard to work with, report it to the staff and we'll handle it.

Mr Boring: Same for you. Just because she's making patronizing comments doesn't mean you have a right to lash back out at her. Report the post and again, the staff will take care of it. Also, learn to take criticism. Don't insult her over giving comments about the level. Take what she said into mind and improve on your mistakes next time.

The report feature is there for a reason, so rather than going at each others' throats, use it. I don't want to see anymore posts on this matter. If any of you have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Postby Mr Boring » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:Calm down, both of you.

Tinkerbell: Making patronizing comments is unnecessary. If you find that he's being hard to work with, report it to the staff and we'll handle it.

Mr Boring: Same for you. Just because she's making patronizing comments doesn't mean you have a right to lash back out at her. Report the post and again, the staff will take care of it. Also, learn to take criticism. Don't insult her over giving comments about the level. Take what she said into mind and improve on your mistakes next time.

The report feature is there for a reason, so rather than going at each others' throats, use it. I don't want to see anymore posts on this matter. If any of you have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.
Alright. (Insert thumbs up here)

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:09 pm

Official Review of "Castle of Complication"

This level is kind of all over the place; it's not really built like a castle level either. There's too much variation between the short sections and most of the NPCs chosen, such as the Hammer Bros, Piranha Plants, and Lakitu, just don't fit a castle setting. There's too many ideas introduced that are abandonned after each short section that it just seems messy. The level is also very bland--it lacks coins and BGOs throughout. In the first section, the Thwomps are just floating in mid-air--they should have some kind of block at the top of them so that they are directly below something and have something visible "stopping" them when they reach the top. The second section was boring even though it was only just under two screens long because the treadmill platforms were all the same length, the same height, the same distance apart, and all had a podoboo between them. The boss battle was pretty boring and unintuitive, as it was just a Ludwig re-skin in a flat room. Overall, this level wasn't very good because it didn't feel like a castle, it was bland, and there was just too much variety between sections that it seemed messy.

2.8/10 (La Can de Trash)

Return to “The Trash Can”