Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 6

Official community level contests.
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 5

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:36 am

TNTtimelord wrote:Enclosed is a list of those who are still in the running, according to my calculations.
Spoiler: show
as303298
Bomber57
bulletbill43
Catastrophe
Darkonius
Enjl
FireLink
FrozenQuills
h2643
Harvey36Dice
HenryRichard
Lunatic_Quark
Marina
MECHDRAGON777
Nat the Porcupine
Natsu
Reign
RudeGuy07
ShadowStarX
Shinbison-Kof
snoruntpyro
SuperMario7
The Thwomp King
Valtteri
Willhart
witchking666
Zipper
zlakergirl357
Tell me if anything isn't right. This is only according to my chart.
Here is a full list without alphabetical order:
ShadowStarX wrote:Contestants left: (I'm surprised that Prox and Sux are out already)
Valtteri
Chad
Shinbison-Kof
Marina
MECHDRAGON777
Enjl
h2643
Natsu
snoruntpyro
RudeGuy07
Willhart
Harvey36Dice
bulletbill43
FrozenQuills
HenryRichard
Cedrik
FireLink
ShadowStarX
withcking666
as303298
Darkonius Mavakar
The Thwomp King
Bomber57
Nat The Porcupine
Zipper
SuperMario7
andregemeo23
Catastrophe
Reign
ap3jmpt
LunaticQuark
zlakergirl357

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:02 am

ShadowStarX wrote:Contestants left
Valtteri
Chad
Shinbison-Kof
Marina
MECHDRAGON777
Enjl
h2643
Natsu
snoruntpyro
RudeGuy07
Willhart
Harvey36Dice
bulletbill43
FrozenQuills
HenryRichard
Cedrik
FireLink
ShadowStarX
withcking666
as303298
Darkonius Mavakar
The Thwomp King
Bomber57
Nat The Porcupine
Zipper
SuperMario7
andregemeo23
Catastrophe
Reign
ap3jmpt
LunaticQuark
zlakergirl357
List of people I think I have a slight chance against:
  • Valtteri
  • Marina
  • h2643
  • Natsu
  • RudeGuy07
  • Willhart
  • Harvey36Dice
  • Cedrik
  • ShadowStarX
  • as303298
  • Darkonius Mavakar
  • The Thwomp King
  • Nat The Porcupine
  • Zipper
  • andregemeo23
  • Catastrophe
  • Reign
  • ap3jmpt

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:56 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:List of people I think I have a slight chance against:
  • Valtteri
  • Marina
  • h2643
  • Natsu
  • RudeGuy07
  • Willhart
  • Harvey36Dice
  • Cedrik
  • ShadowStarX
  • as303298
  • Darkonius Mavakar
  • The Thwomp King
  • Nat The Porcupine
  • Zipper
  • andregemeo23
  • Catastrophe
  • Reign
  • ap3jmpt
Uhm....
Why you bold as303298?

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:41 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
ShadowStarX wrote:Contestants left
Valtteri
Chad
Shinbison-Kof
Marina
MECHDRAGON777
Enjl
h2643
Natsu
snoruntpyro
RudeGuy07
Willhart
Harvey36Dice
bulletbill43
FrozenQuills
HenryRichard
Cedrik
FireLink
ShadowStarX
withcking666
as303298
Darkonius Mavakar
The Thwomp King
Bomber57
Nat The Porcupine
Zipper
SuperMario7
andregemeo23
Catastrophe
Reign
ap3jmpt
LunaticQuark
zlakergirl357
List of people I think I have a slight chance against:
  • Valtteri
  • Marina
  • h2643
  • Natsu
  • RudeGuy07
  • Willhart
  • Harvey36Dice
  • Cedrik
  • ShadowStarX
  • as303298
  • Darkonius Mavakar
  • The Thwomp King
  • Nat The Porcupine
  • Zipper
  • andregemeo23
  • Catastrophe
  • Reign
  • ap3jmpt
So basically, all of the best designers with one or two others? .-.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 6

Postby Valtteri » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:08 am

Tier 6
32. Cedrik - Sky Ruins (6.53/10)
  • Chad (5.0/10)
    • A fun little level with entertaining construction and enemy placements, and a pleasant joyful atmosphere. I like the idea of having the daytime change as you progress, but once you fully enter the ruins, the visuals and design seem rather random. It's not too hard to navigate, but the BGOs in the sunset area closely resemble the solid tileset somewhat, and the platforming and hazards seem much more ordinary. The night section is sort of the same way, but the cloud tileset blends in with the sky and the ruins tileset blends into the identical versions of that in the background. It's a reasonably short level and it's not too hard to play, but it's a bit weird on the eyes and doesn't really offer much in the way of uniqueness or variation.
    ElTipsta (7.25/10)
    • Yeah, you've ripped off zlakergirl here. It's a pretty good clone, the design is fine and the level is sohrter than what you ripped off, so that's a plus. But I feel like I've played this before. And that sucks, because your level isn't as unique now. To me, and probsbyl others, it is the "rip-off/clone of zlakergirl's level." Unless it's actually designed by you zlakergirl, then I apologise.
    Quill (6.2/10)
    • This level was pretty decent. I'm really, really questioning the decision for that switch block at the end. It's a complete waste of the time to show the star hidden by active switch blocks, only for the player to have to go left a few screens to deactivate them. It was really pointless and left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Shinbison-Kof (8.2/10)
    • I think i've seen this level before, with these graphics and design. The level design is good. There are many helpful elements like the purple block that helped kill some npcs. I like the day and night transitions in the level, but this the second level with this element in this contest. The level is very well decorated and beautiful and the mix of tilesets is great. I don't understand why this level only has 1 moving block. Would be cool if you added more. The npc placement is good. The level lacks anything that would make it unique. Despite of the extraordinary atmosphere, the level is decent. Overall it's an ok level!
    Valtteri (6.0/10)
    • Sky ruins is a genre at this point. There are so many sky ruins levels. This one's average. The design is consistent and the enemy placement is good but it's nothing special. I feel like there's too much going on with the tileset. Maybe leave out the mushroom platforms. Or maybe I just hate that castle tileset. The texture is so pillow shaded.
31. ap3jmpt - Bowser's Hideout Castle (6.58/10)
  • Chad (7.5/10)
    • A pretty solid level. It does well at both recreating and revamping the classic SMB1 castle feel, both visually and structurally. The first half is a hunt for three switch blocks, but the separate areas are nice and small so it won't take ages to hit them all, and each section is distinctly defined by a different set of obstacles. The second half also provides some great variety in the form of an underwater firebar section and exterior cannon section, and ends with small and ordinary bosses that are decent and justifiable given their distance from the midpoint. I also really like the key section, because while it's pretty tiny and rather intense, it conveys the difficulty and required maneuvers clearly. Overall, this level demonstrates a good eye for clever spacing, as well as a reasonable length and pace. It's just the right difficulty and knows when to stop. Most of the issues I found are minor, like unexpected no-cliffturn enemies from above in the red switch section, or walking SMB2 bombs that aren't obvious as such until you try and step on them because they resemble the SMB3 versions. I also felt that the shark enemies don't need to be there, as they take up a lot of space considering the environment they're placed in and they're only used in one spot. But as a whole, this is a pretty enjoyable level. It's a retro experience that does a lot of good in terms of being really well built and organized.
    ElTipsta (7.5/10)
    • Nice level. This is an SMB styled castle set to be the 'final boss' so to speak. It's very simplistic and a little slow to start (switch blocks again), however is pretty well executed in what it sets out to achieve. Graphic combinations are perfect, and so is the music for the second half. (A couple of pointers - The underwater section has too many Sharks placed too close together and makes the firebar passage proceeding it very difficult to get through. Also, when placing mushrooms in a level with always, always make a text file for the NPC containng the code "speed=0". Otherwise, a run-time error will occur if the mushroom lands in the lava.)
    Quill (6.3/10)
    • The first half was alright, nothing too special. I wasn't a big fan of having to activate all four switch blocks, but the sections were mildly interesting. I much preferred the second section which had some interesting variety. The boss battles were pretty basic though. Overall, it's a fairly standard SMB1 castle, though beefed up a bit with some SMBX features.
    Shinbison-Kof (5.6/10)
    • A nostalgic smb1 themed level. I like some of the elements that you put here like the puzzles and some items. The design is simple, almost classic. In the water section there's cramped design with fire bars which is a problem. The green and red bullet bills were a cool addition. The level has good npc placement, but you forgot to put in some coins. In the last sections, I recommend alerting the player that he needs to go back if he wants to defeat the bosses. Overall it's a pretty normal smb1 level.
    Valtteri (6.0/10)
    • That was a switch puzzle. It's a decent level. There were a couple of tricks I liked such as the green Bullet Bills that would first shoot vertically, slow down to a halt and then shoot horizontally. Unfortunately they were limited to a single bonus room.
30. The Thwomp King - Bramble Canyon (6.72/10)
  • Chad (8.5/10)
    • This is a super well done bramble level, possibly one of the best uses I've seen! I really like the design choice here when it comes to incorporating both bramble blocks and a standard tileset roughly equally, whether it's to give the player a short reprieve from the spikes or to compliment the theme visually. The designer clearly had a lot of ideas when it comes to cleverly spacing different jumps and enemy placements. You constantly have to rely on correctly timing different duck-jump maneuvers and sometimes figure out just how much momentum you need, but space is never excessively restricted and it never gets insanely difficult. Plenty of room is given for the player to make a solid judgment between one obstacle and the next, which is excellent for a level like this. I especially thought the section with three parallel line platforms you have to jump between was particularly clever. It's a slight increase in difficulty, but within reason and it's right after the midpoint, so that was handled very thoughtfully. The length is surprisingly reasonable as well for a level containing this many resources. It's definitely a level that needs frameskip disabled, but it's really worth it. However, one persistent issue I encountered is that the visuals constantly blend together. They're distinguishable if you keep your eyes peeled, but it'd be very easy not to notice a particular bramble because it blends in with the background if you don't take it in before acting, and the same applies to the DKC Necky enemies because sometimes I'd notice the projectiles before I actually noticed their source. It's certainly manageable without a ton of difficulty, but this is very much a level where you have to carefully examine your surroundings before moving forward.
    ElTipsta (6.5/10)
    • This is a SMW bramble level with one of the most limiting bramble tilesets in SMBX. Considering this, this level is pretty well put together with a steady challenge throughout. A couple of the NPC placements are a little unfair like the Croc following the first platofrm drop. The platform section was interesting and a nice idea, however it is possible for the player to lose the platform and have to wait a long time. Layers and events using blocks would fix the issue. Also, if you're going to have quicksand the player can't recover from, why place quicksand in it, rather than just the BGOs? It means the player has to sink to their death when it is unnessecary. Minor complaints, but overall this is pretty nice :)
    Quill (6.8/10)
    • Surely, if B.K was poked up the butt with a vine, they would explode. I find it strange that B.K is talking about how they have been spiked before. How are they possibly living? Oh, the level’s cool too. I especially like the part near the end where the three platforms are rising and you have to switch between them. It could have been expanded on but it was neat regardless.
    Shinbison-Kof (4.8/10)
    • Look, an interesting concept! Bramble in a canyon isn't common to see in smbx. The two tilesets don't go well together, especially with these colors. It's ugly. The level design is good and dynamic. I like the way how you used the platforms, but there are many parts with difficult jumps and blind jumps which mess the gameplay. The npc placement is ok, but I miss some coins. The level seems empty also..
    Valtteri (7.0/10)
    • I love the vulture. It doesn't get more creative than that. This level isn't the only one of its kind (spiky vine fest) but certainly one of the better ones I've played. I would personally use a different tileset for the ground. The SMW grass tileset doesn't do justice to the rest of the graphics.
29. Zipper - Rinkas; Youmu Konpaku 3 (6.79/10)
  • Chad (7.5/10)
    • This was a pretty cool level. I like how the vanilla Metroid tiles are used to create a factory setting, I wouldn't think that to normally look nice but this sort of works in its own intriguingly unique way. The tile choices seem a bit random at points, but that also makes the factory feel like it's meant to come off as a twisted and unstable setting which is interesting in itself, so my feelings on the presentation are sort of mixed. However, the level construction is pretty good. It's pretty straightforward, and uses enemy placements and spacing in an enjoyable and entertaining fashion. The elevator is especially intense, but impressively handled to not be too insane. A new high-jump ability is introduced too, and it's fun to toy around with! I expected it to be needed a lot more than it was, but it was still interesting to use where necessary. The conveyor section is pretty basic, but well-placed and a good lead-in to the highly unique boss. This fight was honestly super fun and just the right difficulty, especially with a midpoint directly preceding it. The variation of attack patterns is impressive, and do a good job at making you watch and analyze for the right moments to attack. There's an effective balance between waiting and striking, where the pace of the fight changes just often enough and neither combatant is given too much power. The only things I didn't care for are how sudden some of the attacks are, particularly the stomps and dashes. They're a little weird to work around especially with Link physics, but they're still pretty learnable. Overall, clever level. Unique design, innovative boss.
    ElTipsta (7.75/10)
    • This level is really cool! Graphical issues aside (the graphics are all vanilla except the playable and boss, and could have been much better had there been custom grpahics), this level is neat. You use a custom playable in LunaDLL and go through the level. It's well done and the music fits perfectly. I epsecially like the boss - LunaLua is a wrk because you cannot predict what she does, which does make it harder. I really enjoyed this level :)
    Quill (6.8/10)
    • This level was a weird one. The custom character was okay, but sometimes her jump was a little glitchy, especially on moving platforms and conveyor belts. I did like the level design and how the level is generally structured. The vanilla graphics used actually looked pretty great. The boss was super neat, although I found it a little easy to get hit by her.
    Shinbison-Kof (5.9/10)
    • Nice playable here! This level is very exciting. The player's new powers are utilized well. I like the high jump feature, the moving layers and other things. The level looks kind of ugly though. The graphics aren't too great, and while they aren't the most important aspect in levels, they make a more attractive level. The white sizable with the metroid graphics for example. It's so ugly and full of cut-off. The npc placement is ok. There's no spam or something. I think the boss is strange. I don't know how defeat it. I assume it's just that long which isn't very good considering all you need to do is dodge attacks. Some power-ups around the boss would be nice. It's a fun level though.
    Valtteri (6.0/10)
    • Try to talk to an NPC. "HHAAANGH" Okay so the custom playable is okay. You get different types of attacks, although the one that makes the character go "HHAAANGH" conflicts with when you want to run at an NPC and talk to them. The level is some sort of dungeon setting. There was an elevator part at one point which spiced things up a bit. The boss was good. It had a pattern and different phases much like bosses you see in real games. The level mixes Super Metroid with Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 and it looks messy honestly. The custom sprites mix 1x1 pixels with 2x2 pixels which adds to the messy feel. I don't think replacing the Mother Brain explosion effect with small mushroom clouds is a good idea. Overall it's an interesting level.
28. Catastrophe - Up to Brightstar Base (6.86/10)
  • Chad (6.0/10)
    • A pretty cool airship. I admire the detail and construction, and the half-mechanical nature of it, as well as how well it conveys a feeling of immensity to the level without being too much. It's a pretty straightforward level and uses a nice amount of robotic hazards, but that's also sort of all there is to it. What's here is rather well-made and definitely fun with a fairly moderate difficulty, but it is a tiny bit repetitive. A little variety is introduced such as the occasional moving layer, the switch platform navigating around spikes, and the endurance room, but it's a small amount and every room felt otherwise like the same type of tunnel. The level's certainly not unpleasant by any means, but some ideas are brought to the table and not really fleshed out thoroughly. I also find the endurance room to be unnecessary, as you can avoid everything by staying in between the Roto-discs and moving very slightly left and right to dodge the Rinkas. The second checkpoint doesn't even work, so dying after the second one brought me back to the first which made me have to do that room again, but honestly it's so slow that I turned on speeddemon and it still felt possible (albeit much more difficult). You probably could have just removed Section 3's checkpoint and Section 4 entirely and still had two clean halves of the level.
    ElTipsta (9.0/10)
    • This level is really cool! It's an airship level with some pretty neat albiet simplistic layers and events. It's quite simple really, but fun. The music fitted perfectly, and I have no real complaints about the design except the section with the Rinkas and Roto-discs gets a bit repetitive after a whiile. Still, nice job! ^^
    Quill (6.8/10)
    • This was pretty neat. It had some relatively simple gimmicks in terms of modern community design, but I found it pretty enjoyable. The survival room was a bit of a mood killer, simply because it lasted so long and it wasn't challenging or fun. The rest of the level was fairly good though. I didn't really have any major complaints other than that, maybe aside from there being a sign when the fire or electricity was being hurt. Overall though, it's a decent one.
    Shinbison-Kof (6.5/10)
    • Oh, a spaceship. Nice atmosphere. The level design is good. The lasers and platforms are interesting. The checkpoints are a good addition. The graphics are great. I like how you mix the airship with space factory things. It's like a spaceship and it's very beautiful. I like the great attention to detail. The platforms are very well calculated. They aren't unfair or anything. The ladders are a bit weird with the spikes though. Some parts are cramped. The npc placement is good and so is the variety. I like the lasers. They go very well with this theme. I think it would be better if you put more npcs in some parts. Some parts are a bit empty. The section with the boss ( I don't know if this is a boss) isn't too good. It's just dodging rings for a long time and it's tedious. I like the clouds at the end. Overall it's a good level.
    Valtteri (6.0/10)
    • This is a simple yet visually very detailed inside airship themed level. The design is good for the most part. It's fluid and moderately interesting, except for the the Rinka "boss" near the beginning. That was totally unnecessary. It wasn't challenging in the slightest and it just went on and on. Haha, what's that photo of some random guy about at the end? Is that you?
27. Lunatic_Quark - Blue Light Orange Light (6.9/10)
  • Chad (7.5/10)
    • I really enjoyed the gimmick of this level. So simple, but has a clever variety of applications. It's explained nice and clear to the player that blue lasers hurt moving things and orange lasers hurt nonmoving things, and both are used effectively. It's tricky, but not too hard to work around. I also like how forgiving the orange lasers are, because I expected them to hurt you if you slowed down and turned around like you often need to, but as long as you're moving even the tiniest bit then you're fine. However, one persistent issue I've found is that it's not always clear where some blue lasers will stop. I might have some solid idea of one stopping point before going into it, but enough focus is required on the changes in terrain and precise movements that it's really easy to lose track of. Powerups are provided in pairs so there's a good chance the player will be fine, but most of the hits I took were from that. Another issue is that the fields of orange lasers result in a lot of lag that could have been reduced if there was a little space between them, because they don't need to take up every single column of an area to get the job done. Still, this was fun. Good design, nice usage and introduction of the gimmick, and fair difficulty.
    ElTipsta (7.0/10)
    • A nice and simple level that focuses on an innovative laser based mechanic, with the'Blue' light damaging players that are moving and the 'Orange' light doing the opposite. It's really nice and simple, and fun to play and the puzzles get progressively more challenging as the level goes on. The length is perfect. Only downside is that there is lag when there are lots of lasers on screen, the visuals are bit unappealing and there aren't many BGOs in this level, but they this level has done well for itself. Nice one. :)
    Quill (7.3/10)
    • Oh man, Undertale music in the contest, that one was unexpected. I didn't expect to see a gimmick from that game in SMBX though, which was a nice surprise. The gimmick was used fairly creatively too, though I would have liked to see further sections exploring this gimmick further, perhaps on a platform ride or something to spice things up a bit. Overall, what you have is a very good start.
    Shinbison-Kof (5.7/10)
    • Well, I saw interesting mechanics. I guess you have used luna. The player gets damage if he moves in the blue laser and the opposite in the orange laser. This gimmick is very nice, and the level is built around it. The level design is good, but it's missing something, like more coins, bgos and npcs. The background is so strange, maybe it has 1x1 pixels? I recommend adding more dynamism in the level and further exploiting of the lasers, because sometimes it becomes repetitive..
    Valtteri (7.0/10)
    • The lasers work really well. However the level seems barren and the SMW enemies don't seem to belong there. Some sort of texture in the tileset would have helped a lot, and also some additional scenery.
26. as303298 - Templum Ridiculum Aquea (6.92/10)
  • Chad (4.5/10)
    • I didn't care for this one all that much. I sort of admire the complexity of the layout, but at the same time, it felt incredibly random. There's obviously some sort of tricky puzzle going on here, but the first area consisted of what felt like a lot of wandering and dead-ends with no sense of direction or objective, and a minor case of difficulty distinguishing background and foreground. Eventually I found myself a springboard and had to backtrack with it so I could throw it up with me as I climbed a vine, but that didn't feel right. The floating platform layers are interesting but there wasn't a clear sense of what position they were supposed to be in, and the wrong one can almost get you stuck. It becomes better once you complete that room because it's much more direct and provides a sense of what direction needs to be traveled, although there's still that lingering sense of awkwardly random design. You have some cool ideas when it comes to line platforms and water levels though, especially when it comes to the more creative uses of Grinders.
    ElTipsta (8.5/10)
    • This level is awesome! This is basically a slighly more linear Water Temple which has quite vast expansive design and was overall a bit of a tricky one to solve. The secret star was well hidden, even though having the player warp out of nowhere to the checkpoint is kinda weird. A pipe would make more sense. Length was perfect. The platform ride effects were really cool and the level flowed logically. The beginning was a little confusing though, at least at first.
    Quill (7.4/10)
    • I really enjoyed this level. Controlling the water tide wasn't tedious and added some interesting gameplay and I especially liked seeing the immobile mechanisms then later in the level activating them. There are a few minor flaws that I think can hurt this level for someone playing it, such as a weird precise running jump needed at the start and the key being hidden in a green switch. Those were some weird decisions and the first one threw me off for a while. The key was a lucky guess by myself, but I can see people getting stuck there. The end was kinda abrupt too. It's a shame this issues are kinda sucky as it did hurt the level.
    Shinbison-Kof (6.2/10)
    • This is an annoying temple level. It's confusing. The level design is good. I like the puzzles and how the water interacts with things, but it's so annoying running back and forth for the water switch and catching the spring-board. It's stressful especially in the first section because it's cramped. Some sort of guidance regarding the correct path and the puzzles would be nice and also some warps between locations that are far apart that you have to run between a lot. The water gimmick is creative, but sometimes the player gets stuck. In the first section when the water raises the platforms it becomes impossible jumping onto them. The npc placement is ok, but the bullet bills and torpedo teds in cramped areas are a problem. The platforms are very creative, but some of them cause glitches. Overall this level has creative ideas, but it's very confusing and annoying.
    Valtteri (8.0/10)
    • This level is influenced by the Water Temple from Ocarina of Time and it's wonderful! The puzzles are simple enough. The ones that would move floating structures along with the water surface barely played a role which I thought was a shame as I liked those. The level looks great as well. Good job!
25. h2643 - SMW Masterrace Odd (6.94/10)
  • Chad (8.0/10)
    • This is a super neat idea for a level. It's communicated nicely, the design is kept simple enough that it can be reasonably navigated, and it still gets a little trickier as it goes on without being overkill. It strikes an excellent balance. Sometimes it seemed like there was less vertical space than there was, but other than that it's pretty well done and the appearing coins are a nice touch. The cave section is an interesting variation, too. It probably didn't need the lengthy explanation, as I feel it's pretty self-explanatory, but it's a nice change of pace while keeping with the theme. The boss being a few waves of enemies is a good idea, but I don't think Ludwig Mole was necessary especially with that room's darkness gimmick being introduced very suddenly. Other than that, this is very cool idea and I highly enjoyed it.
    ElTipsta (6.0/10)
    • This level is basically a SMW take on Mirror Tower, and it's a pretty nice level. The concept is expanded so it's both vertical and horizontal sections, which is great though I think it's execution would better have been served for a fortress or ghost house as having a visible grassland on one side of the screen and the invisible terrian on the other side looks a bit weird. Just me though. The challenge is fair and very fun if a bit easy at times, however I had issues getting the music for the cave and boss to play as my editor couldn't find them. Might be me though, so no point deductions.
    Quill (7.2/10)
    • I actually kinda wish you kept with the initial gimmick. I felt like there's plenty more potential there. The level being covered in darkness and then revealing itself briefly was fine, but the highlight of this level was the initial sections.
    Shinbison-Kof (6.5/10)
    • The mirror gimmic is a cool idea, but perhaps better used in only some sections. The level design is good. I like the idea of the divided sections where the other side serves as a guide the player, but it gets cramped sometimes. The cave section has a creative gimmick. The blackout was very well made. The npc placement is good. The boss is only decent though. Overall it's a very different level!
    Valtteri (7.0/10)
    • That's an odd gimmick indeed. I have to say while it can be very disorienting it's executed about as well as imaginable. Maybe the concept just isn't that perfect. The boss room going blank every couple of seconds was totally inexcusable though. That was plain unfair and rendered the boss near impossible.
24. ShadowStarX - Rinkas;Grassy Caverns with Flowery Meadows and Stuff (6.99/10)
  • Chad (6.5/10)
    • A nicely-designed level with a clever mechanical/sky theme. There's a lot of attention to detail and focus on exploration, with good platforming and enemy placements to make it pretty fun. It's rewarding to look around and hunt for secrets, but at the same time, this level has a minor problem with being unclear about whether you're going the right way as well as being a tiny bit repetitive. What you see at the start is what you get by the end. Still, while a clearer sense of direction and variety would have benefitted the level, what's here is still rather good.
    ElTipsta (8.25/10)
    • What an accurate name, dood ^^ Either way, this level is well made. Graphics and music are fine (though it gets old) and there is an interesting hybrid of tilesets used, from clouds to airships, all within a pallette. It makes for a good atmosphere. The level itself is well designed, a bit easy and because of that I feel the level is a little too long. If you were o cut out one section each before and after the checkpoint, length would have been perfect :)
    Quill (6.3/10)
    • This was a good level, but something about it didn't click with me. It was just going from Point A to Point B in every section, jumping around and avoiding enemies. Like, there wasn't any variety throughout the sections? A lot of the sections felt very samey to me.
    Shinbison-Kof (6.9/10)
    • An angry sky level. I like the atmosphere. It's like a polluted factory in the sky. The level design is good, but confusing sometimes. There are maybe a little too many secret things. I like the tileset mix. The tilesets go very well together. The dragon coins were placed well. The graphics choices are good. The factory tileset fused with the clouds is cool and the level is very detailed too. Design-wise though the level is nothing special. The npc placement is good for the most part. I feel that this level needs more power-ups. The end of this level seems random. Overall it's a good level.
    Valtteri (7.0/10)
    • Good name. Describes the level very well. So it looks like some sort of factory... in the sky I think? Some sort of oldschool black-and-white movie filter has been applied to everything. Everything is brown. It's pretty great. The path is not obvious. I had to look for the exit for quite some time. The enemy placement is well thought out. The level looks consistent from the beginning to the end. The SMB1 airship tiles add well to the mix.
23. HenryRichard - Super Awesome Water Bubble Time (7.03/10)
  • Chad (6.5/10)
    • A fascinating level. The new bubble powerup is pretty easy to use and the level difficulty is kept pretty low at first so the player can practice with it. The laser blocks replacing lava are explained subtly but clearly, and are aligned cleverly to test out different maneuvers. Honestly though, I wish the second half would have expanded upon this further. Instead, you have an outdoor section that encourages exploration, but does nothing to reward it. The area's filled with a large number of chasing, projectile-based, unpredictably-moving, or blending-in enemies that just make the section nothing but a mad dash to be anywhere else. This doesn't bode well for the powerup especially, because if you're swimming, you're not outrunning some of that, and not swimming results in blind or careful jumping that you don't have time to perform wisely. It's an interesting challenge, I'll give it that, but I didn't always feel in control of my survival. At least that's just one area of a short level, but that also makes this half of the experience. Still, the powerup was fun to toy around with and useful as a gimmick, and it would have been great to see it put to more thorough use.
    ElTipsta (7.75/10)
    • The powerups in this level was awesome, likewise it's setting. I liked the mix of Emral's lab tileset, outer space and Terraria enemies and NPCs. The design was well done and taught me how to use the bubble gimmick, however the chasing AI in the checkpoint section made the level a bit hard. The ending was disappointing, you could have expanded on the gimmick more. This level was too short.
    Quill (7.0/10)
    • The gimmick here is super awesome. Albeit a little overpowered, but the level was designed nicely around it, especially that outdoor section with the different paths to progress through. It's a shame the level ended so soon, the new powerup could have seen some further great use by introducing more gimmicks that could compliment it. This level seemed to be more of a tech demo than anything, but I still thought it was pretty cool.
    Shinbison-Kof (6.9/10)
    • An exotic level. The use of luna is impressive. It's like space with corruption from terraria. I like it. The level design is ok. The power-up was great and all and was used brilliantly but it got annoying in the section after the checkpoint with the soul eaters and rinka spam. The level is short too. I don't like the npc placement, especially in the third section where it gets spammy. I saw some cut-off in the level. The parallax of the space background is magical and amazing. I want to see more of this in levels. The end seems random. Overall it's an exotic and strange level.
    Valtteri (7.0/10)
    • That is honestly excellent playable design. It works flawlessly and looks amazing, too. The level was short and not too special, though. All you did was swim past obstacles. Some sort of boss fight designed around the new playable would have been cool. More work probably went into the playable instead. It had great potential, though. The planet scripts in the background were a nice touch.

snoruntpyro
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: she/her

Postby snoruntpyro » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:10 am

woah radicola

Zipper
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Zipper » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:12 am

>top 30

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:15 am

Whoever said, that new people suck at making good placing levels, should get a headshot.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:16 am

neato top 22

FrozenQuills
Bit
Bit

Postby FrozenQuills » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:17 am

gdi i need to prepare another shoe again

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:18 am

Good bye, The Thwomp king and Catastrophe.....
not in tier 6
Me & MECHDRAGON777 : ANIMAL JAM ROCKS/THANKS RUBRUB!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:19 am

I think we got a case of "judge favouring atmosphere over good design" in here...

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:19 am

24th place, not bad I must say, was kinda expected since my level is quite generic and a bit too long.

Contestants left:
Valtteri
Chad
Shinbison-Kof
Marina
MECHDRAGON777
Enjl
Natsu
snoruntpyro
RudeGuy07
Willhart
Harvey36Dice
bulletbill43
FrozenQuills
FireLink
withcking666
Darkonius Mavakar
Bomber57
Nat The Porcupine
SuperMario7
andregemeo23
Reign
zlakergirl357
Congratulations for people in the top 22.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:19 am

me, pyro & enjl rn

Last edited by Marina on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:20 am

Marina wrote:me, zipper & enjl rn

But zipper has just show up in the tier 6 list.. Spooky

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:22 am

Tinkerbell wrote:But zipper has just show up in the tier 6 list.. Spooky
Zipper wrote:>top 30

you can place below the top 20 and still be ojousama

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:30 am

Wow, The Thwomp King got 30th place which is a good placement since he hasn't participated since the grand tournament.
MECHDRAGON777 is still in, I'm shocked!
I thought he would be in Tier 6, but this is a big surprise that he is still in (me guessing Tier 7, I'm sorry but I fear that he'll won't make it to the top 12 :P).

I'm really hyped, very little amount of people that improved quickly out of a ton of people who are old designers is quite scary.
And that would be what Tier 7 and 8 is, oh boy.

I feared that Rudegy07, Natsu, snoruntpyro and Darkonius would end up in this tier but I am hyped that they're still in as well.
Congrats to the final 22, and best wishes for the last 2 tiers!

Edit: Another question Valtteri, will we be allowed to use Lunalua in CC13, I think having Lunalua allowed made this contest feel alot more open in level ideas.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 am

ok it's official mechdragon hacked the contest
Enjl wrote:I think we got a case of "judge favouring atmosphere over good design" in here...
Wait, which judge are you referring to?

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:42 am

Turtwig wrote:ok it's official mechdragon hacked the contest
Enjl wrote:I think we got a case of "judge favouring atmosphere over good design" in here...
Wait, which judge are you referring to?
S H I N B I S O N

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:43 am

yup

Return to “Level Contests”