Dungeonous Gold Crab

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Dungeonous Gold Crab

Postby PixelPest » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:53 pm

This was my level for the Visual Contest. It has a normal exit and a secret exit. My visual effect (theme) was the colour gold. This is probably my best level made to date. It's more of a pyramid than a dungeon in design. Good luck!

Screenshots
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkovopz2fe8i2 ... 2.zip?dl=0

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Dungeonous Gold Crab

Postby Fuyu » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Love it already and I haven't even played it yet, but as far as I can tell judging by the screens it looks like a pretty solid level, it has a lot of stuff in it. Although I can't quite comprehend for what purpose are there skull rafts in midair, do they replace something else? Gotta find out, stay tuned folks. Not really, too lazy to edit post and confirm anything =P

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:43 am

Natsu wrote:Love it already and I haven't even played it yet, but as far as I can tell judging by the screens it looks like a pretty solid level, it has a lot of stuff in it. Although I can't quite comprehend for what purpose are there skull rafts in midair, do they replace something else? Gotta find out, stay tuned folks. Not really, too lazy to edit post and confirm anything =P
The skull rafts in the air are actually floating skull rafts with nogravity=1.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:37 am

Alright, so I'm getting Division by Zero errors, and PGE is unable to find my SMBX window.
So I just wanted to drop by and say that the atmosphere counteracts the gameplay. Distinguishing from foreground and background objects could be a lot easier than it is in this level, just judging from making gameplay-like movements with the PGE camera.

I actually wanted to give this a review, but ah well.

Also the dragon coin sprite transparent area isn't fully transparent.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:55 am

Enjl wrote:Alright, so I'm getting Division by Zero errors, and PGE is unable to find my SMBX window.
So I just wanted to drop by and say that the atmosphere counteracts the gameplay. Distinguishing from foreground and background objects could be a lot easier than it is in this level, just judging from making gameplay-like movements with the PGE camera.

Did you follow the steps I laid out above in SMBX 2.0? If you open it in SMBX it will crash for sure, but if you open it in PGE it will work if you follow the steps above. I have no idea what the issue with the level file is. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "the atmosphere counteracts gameplay". Could you please elaborate?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:08 am

PixelPest wrote:
Enjl wrote:Alright, so I'm getting Division by Zero errors, and PGE is unable to find my SMBX window.

Did you follow the steps I laid out above in SMBX 2.0? If you open it in SMBX it will crash for sure, but if you open it in PGE it will work if you follow the steps above. I have no idea what the issue with the level file is. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "the atmosphere counteracts gameplay". Could you please elaborate?
Contrast between background and foreground isn't clear enough, stuff blends. The player is likely to hastily overlook the difference between foreground and background, takes wrong steps, and the level is to blame. The level should never be to blame.

Also, I have the most recent dev release of 2.0, and tried all of your steps. I'm pretty sure it's not working. PGE doesn't find SMBX.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:10 am

Now I understand what you're saying. I'll consider fixing it. I don't know why you can't get the level for that and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'm considering starting a youtube account soon and if I do I'll upload a video of the level. I'm just waiting until I can find a screen recorder that works with a Dual Graphics Adapter (two graphics cards)--neither Bandicam, BBS, nor OBS work.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:30 pm

I tried to play that level in PGE Engine (but with ChuckNorris cheat to be able break player filter blocks which are still be WIP) and it works fine. Anyway I would try it also in SMBX too, but now i'm gonna to sleep

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Wohlstand wrote:I tried to play that level in PGE Engine (but with ChuckNorris cheat to be able break player filter blocks which are still be WIP) and it works fine. Anyway I would try it also in SMBX too, but now i'm gonna to sleep
Thank you for trying it. I'm glad someone was able to get it to work.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:13 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:I tried to play that level in PGE Engine (but with ChuckNorris cheat to be able break player filter blocks which are still be WIP) and it works fine. Anyway I would try it also in SMBX too, but now i'm gonna to sleep
Thank you for trying it. I'm glad someone was able to get it to work.
You anyway can run that level yourself with a "Test <alpha>" menuitem in the PGE, BUT, to be able break unworking player filter blocks (which are not implemented yet in the PGE Engine side), need to press ~ key and then type "chucknorris", and then press "down+alt-run" to break bottom block and alt-run to break blocks at front of player. "up+alt-run" to break blocks over head.
P.S. "redigit is cool" (without spaces) is nonsens for PGE Engine. but you would type it to look a result yourself :P

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:41 am

Also, I have a small gift for you:
I optimized your music, now it has true seamless loop (works only in the PGE, PGE Musplay or in LunaLUA-SMBX (SMBX 2.0), in regular player you will still hear strong seam)
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_files_fo ... ountain.7z
Difference:
- I removed duplicated half of previous track
- I added true seamless loop which works on SDL2 Mixer Ext side (all PGE apps, PGE Musplay, LunaLUA-SMBX, SMBX 2.0)

Also, how to make looping musics which are will work in the PGE/LunaLUA side:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/pgewiki/How_To ... usic_files

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:02 am

Wohlstand you are awesome! Will update the main post later.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Proof hath arriveth:

Dracyoshi
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Dracyoshi » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:40 am

I'm surprised, but I quickly(it took less than 3 minutes!) managed to find the issue that was causing this level to consistently trigger a Division by Zero error.

effect-185 is causing SMBX to crash. Remove it and the error is suddenly fixed. This is probably related to how both image files are completely empty.

EDIT: I played the level. I'm not going to do a full review, but I have two things to say.
You can get stuck in the wall here because of a classic SMBX glitch by trying to jump on the skull raft while facing away from the wall:
[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/csyTJ9T.png[/rimg]

And.. Wow, this level is surprisingly challenging if you don't have any experience with Peach. It was fun, though. Good job.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks Dracyoshi that actually works. I don't think I need to update the DL just to have effect-185 removed, so whoever wants to play this level or review it, please remove effect-185 and effect-185m upon downloading.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:36 pm

Professionalism is key PixelPest. Wouldn't you ask someone to alter the download link in order for it to be considered "playable"?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:13 am

as303298 wrote:Professionalism is key PixelPest. Wouldn't you ask someone to alter the download link in order for it to be considered "playable"?
I don't want to argue with you. I'll post a new damn link later.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:09 am

PixelPest wrote:
as303298 wrote:Professionalism is key PixelPest. Wouldn't you ask someone to alter the download link in order for it to be considered "playable"?
I don't want to argue with you. I'll post a new damn link later.
The new damn link has come: Ta-da!

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:49 am

Yay finally. I will try and get to this some time today. I've been looking forward to this level since I first saw it.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:58 am

as303298 wrote:Yay finally. I will try and get to this some time today. I've been looking forward to this level since I first saw it.
Very happy to hear that

Return to “Average”