Dungeonous Gold Crab

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: Dungeonous Gold Crab

Postby PixelPest » Sat May 28, 2016 8:37 am

Yay. I have the oldest level here. Now will somebody please review it?

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat May 28, 2016 2:44 pm

I'd review this if I I didn't get the crash "Division by zero" whenever I open the level. Heck I've even tried to modify the NPC codes.

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:26 pm

zlakergirl357 wrote:I'd review this if I I didn't get the crash "Division by zero" whenever I open the level. Heck I've even tried to modify the NPC codes.
pixelpest forgot to update the first post, since the download link has an old version. Try new version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkovopz2fe8i2 ... 2.zip?dl=0

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat May 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Review of Dungeonous Gold Crab

I really like the level's theme. You don't see brick pyramids nowadays and it's good to see some. The background and the tileset blend very well together and I like that everything is gold, but yet it's easy to keep track of what is what. And I also like the music choice in the level. Alright so the level is designed for Peach. Or at least that is what I thought when I first played the level and even after dying many times even before I got to the checkpoint. This level is designed against Peach because she can't spin-jump. That makes it very hard for her to get past enemies that cannot be jumped on and get Crab Coins that in-between Grinders. That makes it very frustrating to play this and to add on that the level is very narrow. I get it's a pyramid brick level, but the area is not designed for Peach's play-style. I really don't think this level used her ability to float too much honestly. And I don't think having trees and chests is good decoration honestly. A couple of more notes I've are that you placed Swoopers in a checkpoint area. First time I spawned there after dying I got killed by them after hitting player block. I can't say the gameplay is anything interesting either since there's not much here that makes me keep playing this. The NPC placement needs to be worked on here as well since there are a lot of enemies that comes flying at your face at once constantly. The level didn't present anything new other than the Crab Coins, which I've no idea what does.

My Score: 5.5/10

The difficulty of this level ruined the experience of the level to be honest.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sat May 28, 2016 4:13 pm

zlakergirl357 wrote:
Thank you for your feedback. Although I don't completely agree with everything you say, there's a lot of valuable stuff I can take away from it. Peach's ability is used multiple times, especially in getting the secret star. I'm sorry that you found the level ruined by being too difficult, although I see where you're coming from since I realize now that some of the Swoopers, especially the ones near the checkpoint aren't a good means of adding difficulty. Thanks again!

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:34 am

Would another Level Judge please review this? This level has been here for half of a year. Its at least two months older than the second oldest level here, also my level for goodness's sake

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:36 am

Your screenshots are dead.

The level is fine though, but you should update your download link so other people coming to this thread that may have missed the post saying to delete the broken effect won't be confused. The contrast issue was already mentioned and said what I was going to, but other than that this is an okay world 6 level-of-difficulty castle. Also, I should mention that I don't really like the nogravity skulls because they screw with the player's momentum like all moving objects do and caused me a few undue deaths.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:32 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Your screenshots are dead.

The level is fine though, but you should update your download link so other people coming to this thread that may have missed the post saying to delete the broken effect won't be confused. The contrast issue was already mentioned and said what I was going to, but other than that this is an okay world 6 level-of-difficulty castle. Also, I should mention that I don't really like the nogravity skulls because they screw with the player's momentum like all moving objects do and caused me a few undue deaths.
Thanks for reminding me about the download link. I updated it now in the main post, although I am having no issue seeing the screenshots. I also appreciate the rest of your feedback and will look into seeing if I can fix the skull raft issue you were experiencing with LunaLua

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:37 pm

After playing through the level again and I still can't say I liked it honestly. Since nothing has changed in this level, I'm just gonna use the review I wrote some time ago.
zlakergirl357 wrote:Review of Dungeonous Gold Crab

I really like the level's theme. You don't see brick pyramids nowadays and it's good to see some. The background and the tileset blend very well together and I like that everything is gold, but yet it's easy to keep track of what is what. And I also like the music choice in the level. Alright so the level is designed for Peach. Or at least that is what I thought when I first played the level and even after dying many times even before I got to the checkpoint. This level is designed against Peach because she can't spin-jump. That makes it very hard for her to get past enemies that cannot be jumped on and get Crab Coins that in-between Grinders. That makes it very frustrating to play this and to add on that the level is very narrow. I get it's a pyramid brick level, but the area is not designed for Peach's play-style. I really don't think this level used her ability to float too much honestly. And I don't think having trees and chests is good decoration honestly. A couple of more notes I've are that you placed Swoopers in a checkpoint area. First time I spawned there after dying I got killed by them after hitting player block. I can't say the gameplay is anything interesting either since there's not much here that makes me keep playing this. The NPC placement needs to be worked on here as well since there are a lot of enemies that comes flying at your face at once constantly. The level didn't present anything new other than the Crab Coins, which I've no idea what does.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:42 pm

zlakergirl357 wrote:After playing through the level again and I still can't say I liked it honestly. Since nothing has changed in this level, I'm just gonna use the review I wrote some time ago.
zlakergirl357 wrote:Review of Dungeonous Gold Crab

Hm. If you say so. About how many points would you say that you deducted because of difficulty? I know the level isn't perfect for Peach which is intended to make it more challenging, however many areas use her ability, such as the passage to the secret ending, a few of the crab coins, and especially the rising lava section requires her floating ability. I thought that for a level that was intended to be difficult, if the player stays alert they have enough time to react to all of the obstacles

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:56 pm

PixelPest wrote: Hm. If you say so. About how many points would you say that you deducted because of difficulty? I know the level isn't perfect for Peach which is intended to make it more challenging, however many areas use her ability, such as the passage to the secret ending, a few of the crab coins, and especially the rising lava section requires her floating ability. I thought that for a level that was intended to be difficult, if the player stays alert they have enough time to react to all of the obstacles
The difficulty and the lack of use of Peach's abilities are big factors to why this level's score is low, and the design needs to improved as well. There are many parts of the level that extremely narrow which makes it hard to navigate. Add the hitting switch gimmick in this level isn't really fun either. Plus I didn't find anything that made this level stand out other than the level's theme.

By the way one last thing I forgot to mention. In the rising lava section you can re-enter it after you've gone through it once and well..

Return to “Average”