Topic punishing and the point of the rules

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
aero
Palom
Palom

Topic punishing and the point of the rules

Postby aero » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Every other thread here is locked, most of which before discussion has even begun, and they are not violating any of the forum rules/guidelines. I wrote them with the intent to end the constant drama here - and it's been largely successful - however the intent behind them was to avoid topics being locked. Take my Security thread for instance: it wasn't even calling for any changes to be made here and was just asking what people wanted to see here that they've seen on other sites that's worked. It was to add to the conversation that was happening in the Site Discussion Thread because it was only captcha vs no captcha, and there was room for more input. Of course being in this forum, it was shut down. I'd really like to see topics go somewhere so some constructive changes can be made to make the community better. I've persisted with issues in PM and those go nowhere, so what's left is: a locked topic, dissatisfaction, and no changes. Sure I might raise hell about some things and be a bit persistent, but I'd really like the staff to reflect on that though because I say everything I do on purpose. The reason I keep going on and on about security, and discussion around here is because the same issues are present that were around months and even years ago now. It's been interpreted as me being disparaging, nonconstructive, wasting my time, and of poor attitude when I make threads but allow me to reiterate that the intention is to make the community better off and not to harm. I will be persistent because these issues are important and have been long standing. It's not fair to the community to be given an unsecured IRC, have a system weak enough for general bots (not just targeted ones) to register in bulk, and have any possible ways besides business as usual be discussed to solve the problems once and for all. It's not fair, and it's disappointing when I hear that no discussion even in the staff forums is taking place. So in summary and as a request, I would like topics to not be punished and instead run their course under the forum rules and it to be clear that each continued request for something new is not a slight at how the staff runs the forum but in address to the problems that the forum faces.

As a note, I've been contacting staff members like you're supposed to so a lot of this has reference to those discussions so I don't single any particular staff out as required by the rules.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Re: Topic punishing and the point of the rules

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:00 pm

I don't really understand why your thread was locked. To me, it looked like a valid issue. The IRC has been receiving a bunch of spam lately so we need to do something else because whatever we're doing now isn't working.

Nanaya
Phanto
Phanto
Flair: When's Mafia

Postby Nanaya » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Its getting ridiculous with the locking.of the topics...
Like security is bad here... quite bad... but everything is being disregarded...
Changes should be made whenever possible

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:I don't really understand why your thread was locked. To me, it looked like a valid issue. The IRC has been receiving a bunch of spam lately so we need to do something else because whatever we're doing now isn't working.
I reported the lock but it ended up being closed wrongfully (almost certain it was said that reported staff can't close reports against them):

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:46 pm

The thread was locked because security is not a "we" thing. There's no "we need to deal with this" or "we need to change what we're doing" because the only one that has any control over that is me. There's pretty much nothing that any average community member can do about the problems we're having, so there's no reason to have a thread for it because it would result in people just saying "yeah this situation sucks let's fix it".

If you wanted to make a general discussion thread for security (which we both know wasn't your intention, considering how discussion immediately went to security of this forum), you picked a pretty bad time to do so.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:09 pm

The community can move to another platform and anybody can set that up, and it would solve the security problems right then and there as far as the chat goes. The thread was for general security discussion ideas that people would like to see around here, because the only debate so far was over a captcha which should be common sense (another thing that other admins can change). I don't have any control over where the thread goes, but you chose to end it right after someone else brought up this forums security rather than what they would like to see. What I'm asking here is for that not to happen. You haven't really been good with guessing my intentions nor my attitudes, because you're wrong there too. All I wanted was more ideas from the community for change before people start leaving because of the constant problems.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:27 pm

I agree with Zeldamaster honestly, it seems like an issue worthy of discussion for sure. I don't understand why it would be locked.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:22 pm

Snifit: I noted that the message in my OP was in reference to PM conversations with staff members. I've talked (or maybe scolded is the more appropriate term sometimes) to people about the problems in PM, on IRC, and sometimes on outside places about these problems while keeping what I publicly say to the constraint of the rules here. My grievance is just that despite taking the proper route with addressing the situation is that despite following the rules here my topics are locked and deleted with no meaningful changes made.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”