Should the episode forum be like the levels forum?

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Re: Should the episode forum be like the levels forum?

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Cedrik wrote:I think this idea is good, but there must are more persons in the level judge, a lot more!!!!
Or a second judge team for episodes.
Yeah... we already established this isn't happening.

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:24 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:
Cedrik wrote: Or a second judge team for episodes.
Why not? I think hiring users to be episode judges would be a good idea. It would allow for episodes to be judged without putting even more stress on the level judges, and there aren't that many new episodes posted, so it wouldn't place that great a burden on administrative newbies.

The benefits of having judges put episodes into tiers would be four-fold. First, it would allow people who have an actually good episode but not-so-great screenshots that would put off most people from playing it to get some people to download it and give it a try. Secondly, it would discourage users who design bad episodes from "screenshot baiting". And thirdly, it would give some of the users feed-back on their episodes. There are so many episode topics I've clicked on where there're hardly any replies or posts because people simply ignore it. This would let users know what they actually think about their episode. After all, how can you fix or improve what you don't know is broken or bad? Finally, it would just make episode browsing a lot easier and faster.

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:35 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:
Zeldamaster12 wrote:
Cedrik wrote: Or a second judge team for episodes.
Why not? I think hiring users to be episode judges would be a good idea. It would allow for episodes to be judged without putting even more stress on the level judges, and there aren't that many new episodes posted, so it wouldn't place that great a burden on administrative newbies.

The benefits of having judges put episodes into tiers would be four-fold. First, it would allow people who have an actually good episode but not-so-great screenshots that would put off most people from playing it to get some people to download it and give it a try. Secondly, it would discourage users who design bad episodes from "screenshot baiting". And thirdly, it would give some of the users feed-back on their episodes. There are so many episode topics I've clicked on where there're hardly any replies or posts because people simply ignore it. This would let users know what they actually think about their episode. After all, how can you fix or improve what you don't know is broken or bad? Finally, it would just make episode browsing a lot easier and faster.
We only need a judge, witch have a lot of time.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:05 pm

I really don't think this is a good idea, like, at all, because so many of the levels would end up in the lowest category.
And this idea may look good on paper, but it wouldn't work whatsoever. Because do you know how long it takes to make a long term
episode? It can take years to make one. So i really don't think this would really work.
EDIT:
I mean, how would you feel if all your hard work ended up the trash can? You would feel like you just wasted months to years of your life working on it.

silent_
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby silent_ » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:53 pm

but if this happened, there would be the dipshits who are like "WHERE IS MY REVIEW?!?!?!" the day after their episode is released.

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 pm

MosaicMario wrote:I mean, how would you feel if all your hard work ended up the trash can? You would feel like you just wasted months to years of your life working on it.
Then you would either stop posting crappy episodes to the episodes forum, or actually start valuing quality over quantity.
Kep wrote:but if this happened, there would be the ^@#%&*s who are like "WHERE IS MY REVIEW?!?!?!" the day after their episode is released.
Okay, we already have that problem with the levels forum (I think. I'm not sure.?), and they can just have a ban in place for people who repeatedly post "WHERE IS MY REVIEW?!?!?!?"

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:49 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:I mean, how would you feel if all your hard work ended up the trash can? You would feel like you just wasted months to years of your life working on it.
Then you would either stop posting crappy episodes to the episodes forum, or actually start valuing quality over quantity.
But Enji, i think, forgive me if this is someone else. Made a review of endless exploration and did you see how long
that review was?

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:50 pm

MosaicMario wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote:
But Enji, i think, forgive me if this is someone else. Made a review of endless exploration and did you see how long
that review was?
What is wrong with long reviews?

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote: Then you would either stop posting crappy episodes to the episodes forum, or actually start valuing quality over quantity.
that review was?
It's just that it takes alot of time to write it, and you would have to give constructive feedback on EVERY SINGLE Level in the game.
Plus, it's king of hard sometimes to rate a whole episode overall. And Like people were saying earlier, how about we just
bring back the featured episodes? It would work alot better than reviews of whole episodes.

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:14 pm

MosaicMario wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:
that review was?
It's just that it takes alot of time to write it, and you would have to give constructive feedback on EVERY SINGLE Level in the game.
Plus, it's king of hard sometimes to rate a whole episode overall. And Like people were saying earlier, how about we just
bring back the featured episodes? It would work alot better than reviews of whole episodes.
Well, the episode judges don't necessarily have to write as long as Enji did. You don't necessarily have to give feedback on EVERY SINGLE LEVEL, just the level quality as a whole or ones that stand out as really good or bad, and how those levels connect together and make a gradual progression in logical sense and difficulty.

And about featured episodes, yeah we could have those. But it's just not the same, and doesn't solve the four problems I listed a few posts up.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:56 am

I never played Endless Exploration. I just looked through the topic and couldn't find any long reviews, either.

Also if you wanted to see me review an episode.. oh boy. Even my standalone level reviews are pages long. I think it'd be fun.

I'm gonna use this post as a hook for an idea from the previous page:

How about a monthly or seasonal poll to vote for the best episodes of the month/season, which then go to the Featured Episodes page of the website?

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:33 am

MosaicMario wrote:But Enji, i think, forgive me if this is someone else. Made a review of endless exploration and did you see how long
that review was?
Enjl wrote:I never played Endless Exploration. I just looked through the topic and couldn't find any long reviews, either.
I know I've reviewed a few episodes in the past; you might have been thinking of one of my reviews. I haven't gotten around to playing Endless Exploration, though.
MosaicMario wrote:Plus, it's king of hard sometimes to rate a whole episode overall.
Not really; it's more peasant of hard than anything. Since episodes are usually made by one person, the quality of the episode's levels is usually static, similar to how stand-alone levels often keep a consistent quality within themselves. Even if it isn't the case, like, for example, a good episode being marred by one crappy level, that's not that different than a good level being marred by one poor design choice. It's basically the same thing, the only difference being the scale (although the scale is what turns so many people off of the idea).

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:Plus, it's king of hard sometimes to rate a whole episode overall.
Not really; it's more peasant of hard than anything. Since episodes are usually made by one person, the quality of the episode's levels is usually static, similar to how stand-alone levels often keep a consistent quality within themselves. Even if it isn't the case, like, for example, a good episode being marred by one crappy level, that's not that different than a good level being marred by one poor design choice. It's basically the same thing, the only difference being the scale (although the scale is what turns so many people off of the idea).
I guess, but i'm just going to note that i meant to say kind of hard.

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Other then the level judge thing, i am also strongly against another "ranking system".
The Ranking system in the levels forum is filled with flaws.
Some of the level judges don't review more then 2 levels a month, which results in long ques. (There is a level from fucking november there)
Also, because of the ranking system all the people who get "average" don't get their levels played.
Since people only wanna play either good or really bad levels.
So i would suggest not doing this at all.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:29 pm

witchking666 wrote:Some of the level judges don't review more then 2 levels a month, which results in long ques. (There is a level from fucking november there)
^This.
witchking666 wrote:Also, because of the ranking system all the people who get "average" don't get their levels played.
Since people only wanna play either good or really bad levels.
That's not a flaw with the ranking system, though; that's just human nature.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:34 pm

witchking666 wrote: Some of the level judges don't review more then 2 levels a month, which results in long ques. (There is a level from fucking november there)
Also, because of the ranking system all the people who get "average" don't get their levels played.
1. I agree the judges should quit real life and do reviews 24/7 to review the "FUCKING" november and october levels.
2. How do you know nobody plays them did you ask everyone in this forum?
3. Nice swearing btw

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:03 pm

why does this thread keep getting bumped lol

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:why does this thread keep getting bumped lol
Probably bc people think "It's not locked so i can say my opinion about this bc it contributes to it"

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:37 pm

I mean, we've already established we're not implementing this feature.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:56 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:I mean, we've already established we're not implementing this feature.
If we're not going anyway by keeping this unlocked, can't we just lock this topic?

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”