[Guide] SMBX Glitch List

Share guides you have written for SMBX, and related tools here.
MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

[Guide] SMBX Glitch List

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:44 pm

Info
SMBX is known for its numerous glitches; some well known, others not so much. Typically , it is frowned upon to force these upon the player, but they are exploitable.
Well Known
All Characters
  • Crouch Glitch - When the player is stuck in a wall that is not moving, or slides into a gap that is smaller then there size (e.g. Super Mario is 64 pixels tall) flies through all solid blocks.
Not-So-Known
All Characters
  • Slope Crouch - On a upside down slope, if you side underneath when you have a power up or with Peach and jump, you will clip through the floor.
  • Jump Crouch - while under a block that is 32 pixels off the ground, if you jump, and release "Down" in quick succession, you will clip through the floor.
  • Clip Sink - Taking a hit, or using your tail while in a wall will cause the player to sink approximately two to five blocks.
  • Tanooki Clip - While in a wall, holding "Down" and "Alt-Run" will make the player rise half a block a second.
  • Small to Big Item Clip - If you slide into an item while holding "Down", the player will clip three blocks into the ground.
  • Switch Jump - It is possible to land on a "P-Switch", "Time-Switch", or "Skull Switch" and jump off of them.
  • Tanooki on Spikes - If you turn to a statue while on spikes, munchers, or a jelectro, you can jump (or spin jump) off of them without harm if you press the "Jump" (or "Alt-Jump") at the same time you release "Alt-Run".
  • Warp Jump - The instant the player goes through a door or insta-warp, pressing jump will cause you to jump from the other warp.
  • Spring Warp - Holding "Jump" and "Up" when you hit a warp will cause you to maintain that momentum through the warp.
  • Super Potion Warp - Placing SMB2 doors on top of each other, entering the bottom one will warp you to the top.
  • Ninji Ceiling Clip - Jumping on a Ninji at the right frame while it is on the ceiling can allow you to clip into the ceiling. Video: https://youtu.be/G19gVKJKjgA?t=32s
No Link
  • Dig Jump - It is possible to dig SMB2 Sand and jump without falling first
  • Duck Clip - At max sped, jump and duck. The second you hear the sound for hitting your head, you release the "Down" key and clip into the ceiling and extend your jump by 32 pixels.
  • Item through a wall - Using a Key, P-Switch, or any solid NPC that is not a Mushroom block, you can attempt to place it down in a wall, but then immediately switch your direction like the crouch glitch to glitch into the wall.
  • Item Clip - Dropping an item into a wall and then facing away from the wall at the same time with a solid NPC will push the player into the wall.
Mario & Luigi
  • Crouch with Weapon - Throwing a "Shell", "Throw Block", or either of the Rainbow Weapons upward, and digging a herb out of the ground the moment the thrown item hits the player will turn the player invisible, but will cause the play to crouch and still carry the item. This makes the player carry the item on there head.
  • Reserve Sink - Switching to a new item via "Reserve Box" makes  the player sink a few blocks into the ground if they are already in a wall.
  • P-Switch through a wall - If the player jumps into a crevice the is 32 pixels wide, and drops a P-Switch, the player will clip into the wall.
  • Super Spring - When small, if you spin jump while holding "Run" and "Up", right before reaching the peak of the player's jump, releasing "Run" will spring the player skyward.
  • Yoshi Clip - When small and in an area exactly two blocks tall, triple press the spin jump key, you will first jump on yoshi, then jump off of Yoshi and land on him at the same time, and then the third spin jump removes your yoshi and puts you in the celing.
Mario, Luigi, & Toad
  • Spin grab - The moment the player grabs an item the are standing on, they can spin jump off of the item and still carry it if "Alt-Jump" is pressed as the "Grab" sound effect plays.
  • Spring through NPCs - if there is a stack of springs below an NPC, you can Spring straight through one if there is no more then a 32 pixel gap between the Spring and the questioned NPC.
Peach & Toad
  • P-Switch Through Ground - Dropping a P-Switch and getting under it will push the player through every block below the P-Switch.
Peach
  • Hover Spin - By spin jumping into a block that changes the character into Peach, she will maintain a spin.
  • Infinity Hover - By releasing and pressing "Jump" at the end of "Peach's Hover", she can star hovering mid-air.
  • Infinity Jump - At the exact time Peach would to do a second (or subsequent) hover, if "Jump" is released and pressed a third time, Peach will jump instead of hover.
Peach & Link
  • Spin-Jump - Just as a "Spin Hover", Link an Peach can normal spin-jump by any character spin-jumping into a character block.
Link
  • Momentum Fairy - If you jump and then press (and hold) "Up" while never letting go of "Jump" , Link will maintain his momentum when he transforms back to himself.
  • Fairy Teleportation - To do this, the player must be Fairy Link and make an airship moves upwards by events and layers, then if the airship moves upwards, transform into fairy, and when landing on the airship floor while the airship is still moving up and Link will teleport under the airship. Not posted by me and not really a glitch. I would think it works kill the player if the moving platform is to tall, but otherwise, should work on any moving platform.
  • Spring Slice - just like "Spring Through NPCs" if Link does the same, he can stab to go through the NPC.
  • Bomb Stack + Crouch Glitch - You can stack up four bombs before they explode. While on the top bomb, you can duck slide into a crevice and do a crouch glitch.
  • Bomb Jump - If you throw a bomb as Link at a wall while close to it, the knock back can propel yourself up and extra 32 pixels, but you must be in a tight enough space and hold the opposite direction during the knock back.
  • Super Jump - If you upstaging a pillar of breakable blocks or throw blocks, you, can propell Link 32 pixels higher than the pillar suggesting The pillar is more than 160 pixels tall, and you do not letgo of the up key.
Video: show
Glitches without an explanation
  • On June 18, 2016; I discovered That spin-jumping at a wall that is less than 10 pixels tall can allow you to clip into the wall in the same manner as the crouch-glitch. Unsure how to pull it off though.
Trivia
  • "Hover Spin" can be done by Spin Jumping into the Link block, and hitting a block to change into Peach.
  • "Hover Spin" can alternatively be performed by typing "ibakedacakeforyou" (cheat that changes you into Peach) mid spin jump.
  • "Infinity Hover" has an easier, alternative method to perform:
    • Grab a Rainbow Shell (upside down).
    • Never let go of "Alt-Jump".
    • Hold "Run" and the direction you want to go.
    • Every two or three seconds, release "Run" for a split second.
    • To change direction, let go of the direction, and switch. right as you begin to lose height, release the "Run" button for a split second.
    • Repeat steps two through three.
  • The "Hover Spin" and the alternate way if "Infinity Hover" is impossible if Peach has a tail.
  • The alternative way for the "Infinity Hover" does not allow you to jump.
  • Ninji Ceiling Clip can be done without getting hit if done frame perfect
Videos: show
Peach's Infinite Hover + Infinite Jump

Link's Super Jump
Last edited by MECHDRAGON777 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Reiuji Utsuho
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Time to make myself disappear

Re: SMBX Glitch List

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:57 am

I do recall encountering a couple minor glitches by accident, but I didn't know about all of these. ~

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:58 am

I don't think that the "Crouch Glitch" listed at the top is a glitch; it's just how the game handles you being trapped in a wall, quite intentionally I think.

This is a good list, though. I'd also add the Yoshi wings one: go through a non item enabled pipe with a blue shell in Yoshi's mouth and Yoshi will keep the wings but not the shell.

As for game breaking glitches, I would add the Venus Fire Trap glitch (if you go down a pipe with a venus fire trap/fire spitting piranha plant sticking out of it the game crashes because the venus doesn't know which way to face) and the mushroom glitch (if a super mushroom hits lava the game crashes, I don't think the reason for this is known).

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:19 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:[*]"Hover Spin" can be done by Spin Jumping into the Link block, and hitting a block to change into Peach.
I'm pretty sure you meant to type Peach here instead of Link Image Also damn I'm surprised that I still know most of these glitches and exploits.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Pseudo-dino wrote:I don't think that the "Crouch Glitch" listed at the top is a glitch; it's just how the game handles you being trapped in a wall, quite intentionally I think.

This is a good list, though. I'd also add the Yoshi wings one: go through a non item enabled pipe with a blue shell in Yoshi's mouth and Yoshi will keep the wings but not the shell.

As for game breaking glitches, I would add the Venus Fire Trap glitch (if you go down a pipe with a venus fire trap/fire spitting piranha plant sticking out of it the game crashes because the venus doesn't know which way to face) and the mushroom glitch (if a super mushroom hits lava the game crashes, I don't think the reason for this is known).
I know the Crouch Glitch is intentional, but the Yoshi with Wings, I love that one, I have actually forgot about that!

As for the Run time errors, that would not be glitches, just run time errors! The Venus Fire Trap can crash the game if you are standing perfectly centered above the plant, even if you are not going in a pipe! The same is true for under it! During one of my let's plays, I got the error after I jump down a two block wide hole and it crashed because it was under a pipe! I can also proof it with a video!
h2643 wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:[*]"Hover Spin" can be done by Spin Jumping into the Link block, and hitting a block to change into Peach.
I'm pretty sure you meant to type Peach here instead of Link Image Also damn I'm surprised that I still know most of these glitches and exploits.
No that is not a mistake! If you spin-jump into a Link block, Link is spin-jumping! You can then hit a Peach block as well!

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:32 pm

Pseudo-dino wrote:...and the mushroom glitch (if a super mushroom hits lava the game crashes, I don't think the reason for this is known).
It happens because of some index for the mushroom being wrong and also the same as a block - so it only happens if you have a certain amount of blocks.

It's fixed if you use LunaLua though (just another reason to get it).

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Oh nice, I do have LunaLua now, I'm just used to that bug existing. Guess I don't have to worry about it any more.

Run-time errors are definitely bugs though, MECHDRAGON.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:00 pm

you forgot

-no undo button
-no copypaste

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Spinda wrote:you forgot

-no undo button
-no copypaste
That's not a glitch. It's a feature that was never included in SMBX without Lua.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Linik wrote:

-no undo button
-no copypaste
That's not a glitch. It's a feature that was never included in SMBX without Lua.
that was a joke, sigh
and what do you mean "without lua"? how would lua add these functions?

4matsy
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby 4matsy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:05 am

Glitches, eh? Here's some:
  • Hammer suit crouch clip:
    If you're on the ground and crouching, and not in hammer suit form, and you then take a hammer suit (i.e., it falls on you, or you slide into it), then congratulations--you just clipped a few blocks into the ground. :D
  • That bug Wohlstand talked about, where, if you move the cursor around the same tile's space in the SMBX editor while holding the left mouse button, and a climbable NPC is selected, multiple copies of the climbable NPC are placed on that space. You'd have to remove the extra copies with the "remove junk NPCs" tool in the PGE editor later on.
  • Bumping into walls kills momentum vertically?! (Not really sure if this is a "glitch" per se, but...eh. :p):
    Yeah, after playing the original, official Mario games enough, you start to recognize rules that always apply to the physics. Such as: Even if you bump into a wall during a jump, you still get all of the height you earned from the speed you made that jump at. Well guess what? Here in SMBX that's not true: if you so much as snag your pinky toe on the edge of that block because you jumped too late, you're not getting over that tall wall. In fact...the sooner you hit the wall during the jump, the lower the jump's max height is. o_O *shrug*

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:09 am

Linik wrote:

-no undo button
-no copypaste
even WITH lua SMBX still has no support of history (undo/redo) and clipboard (copy/paste), that a PGE Editor's feature

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:08 am

4matsy wrote:Glitches, eh? Here's some:
I will address every one seperatly
4matsy wrote:
  • Hammer suit crouch clip:
    If you're on the ground and crouching, and not in hammer suit form, and you then take a hammer suit (i.e., it falls on you, or you slide into it), then congratulations--you just clipped a few blocks into the ground. :D
That works with any character with any power-up, I do not know how I forgot about that since it was in my own Kaizo level...

Edit: I actually did put that on the list. I should of checked before typing this reply!
  • Small to Big Item Clip - If you slide into an item while holding "Down", the player will clip three blocks into the ground.
4matsy wrote:
  • That bug Wohlstand talked about, where, if you move the cursor around the same tile's space in the SMBX editor while holding the left mouse button, and a climbable NPC is selected, multiple copies of the climbable NPC are placed on that space. You'd have to remove the extra copies with the "remove junk NPCs" tool in the PGE editor later on.
Not a glitch, that is a bug.
4matsy wrote:
  • Bumping into walls kills momentum vertically?! (Not really sure if this is a "glitch" per se, but...eh. :p):
    Yeah, after playing the original, official Mario games enough, you start to recognize rules that always apply to the physics. Such as: Even if you bump into a wall during a jump, you still get all of the height you earned from the speed you made that jump at. Well guess what? Here in SMBX that's not true: if you so much as snag your pinky toe on the edge of that block because you jumped too late, you're not getting over that tall wall. In fact...the sooner you hit the wall during the jump, the lower the jump's max height is. o_O *shrug*
I actually encountered the reverse. I actually rely on this on some maneuvers per se. When you do it with Peach, if you pressed and held alt jump, you can actually get on top of the block, even if you normally can not. Peach always gains a slight bit of height every time she hovers. It is actually very helpful and is a life saver. As for Mario, what you mentioned is true, and is helpful for getting very close to lava.

As for Pseudo-Dino
Pseudo-dino wrote:Oh nice, I do have LunaLua now, I'm just used to that bug existing. Guess I don't have to worry about it any more.

Run-time errors are definitely bugs though, MECHDRAGON.
Run-time errors are bugs, I agree, but I am considering a glitch something you can do in SMBX to help yourself get further in the level. ...or tricks that were intentional or not, but not intended to be used such as the crouch glitch. Redigit added it as a fail-safe if the player gets stuck in a wall, but it can also be used by ducking into a one block high opening, and turn around, which I am sure was not intended. I also do not know enough information about the run-time errors to make a full list on them, but I will say this! The famous "Venus Fly Trap + Warp" is not as you may think! You can get the same error by falling pixel perfect above or under the plant when it is about to fire, and I crashed an entire let's play because of that bug. Other then that, their are about two different run-time errors you can get from custom players that I can not figured out! One of them is "Unexpected error" while the other is "Overflow" and the numbers on those two are absurdly high!

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:24 am

If you hold the jump / alt jump button and press down on a slope (as a character who can slide) you will walk down the slope in the same fashion as if you were sliding but without entering the sliding position. I always thought this was queer! Also, if you're a racoon/tanooki, the tail will not move normally when you hover down if you happen to be holding the alt jump key instead of the regular one. I'm sure many have noticed this. It's not supposed to do that. :P

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 am

eh... do jumps off yoshi in these places like this many times and you get this

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:18 pm

glitch4 wrote:eh... do jumps off yoshi in these places like this many times and you get this

Okay, this is worth noting! After I get home, I will try it and add it...

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:13 pm

Sorry for the double post/bump but could this be stickied?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:18 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Sorry for the double post/bump but could this be stickied?
Seconding this

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:29 pm

Sorry for the three month bump, but this has been updated with a video and two new glitches.

loop
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: i may be dumb but im not stupid!
Pronouns: he/him/they

Postby loop » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:35 am

There is another Link glitch: the super jump. BossEdit8 has a video detailing this.

Return to “Guides”