Mr. Boring's Boss Rush

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Re: Mr. Boring's Boss Rush

Postby Mable » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:58 pm

Mr Boring wrote:I lost interest in this project... I feel like it would be too hard to make custom bosses.
Theres plenty already.

Also it would be better to make an actual episode not a bossrush one. They not really that enjoyable and they can be done in under 1 hour.

Making a real episode takes more effort and you can get better at designing levels by it.

Plus the community doesn't really like bossrushes after 1 User continued to make a lot rushes that weren't good.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Little review:
This is probably the most effortless boss rush I have ever played. You get power ups at the beginning of every boss, and one of them is a hammer suit, which breaks the difficulty of pratically every boss. The bosses themself are really boring: they're all in a flat room with nothing but themself, they're just the regular boss AIs and it's really easy to beat all of them, especially because you can get a hammer suit every time you beat one. There was really nothing interesting in fighting them. The difficulty curve is messed up: you have to fight bosses like SMB1 bowser first and then a birdo. There was really nothing that standed out in this boss rush and I didn't really have fun playing it, I was really bored instead. At least it's not too long, so I'll have to give you a point for that. And aestetically, you didn't really put any effort into it. I don't get why did you put also that "mr boring's boss rush" thing on all the rooms where there are power ups. The musics were fitting though.
Overall, I think this should get a 1/10. It's not interesting at all and nothing standed out, it was really boring. When making boss rushes you should never use default AIs without any change in the battle. You should instead try making custom bosses, because they're a lot more interesting than default ones.

Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Postby Mr Boring » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:40 pm

RudeGuy07 wrote:Little review:
This is probably the most effortless boss rush I have ever played. You get power ups at the beginning of every boss, and one of them is a hammer suit, which breaks the difficulty of pratically every boss. The bosses themself are really boring: they're all in a flat room with nothing but themself, they're just the regular boss AIs and it's really easy to beat all of them, especially because you can get a hammer suit every time you beat one. There was really nothing interesting in fighting them. The difficulty curve is messed up: you have to fight bosses like SMB1 bowser first and then a birdo. There was really nothing that standed out in this boss rush and I didn't really have fun playing it, I was really bored instead. At least it's not too long, so I'll have to give you a point for that. And aestetically, you didn't really put any effort into it. I don't get why did you put also that "mr boring's boss rush" thing on all the rooms where there are power ups. The musics were fitting though.
Overall, I think this should get a 1/10. It's not interesting at all and nothing standed out, it was really boring. When making boss rushes you should never use default AIs without any change in the battle. You should instead try making custom bosses, because they're a lot more interesting than default ones.
That's why I don't really care about the project anymore, no one likes it.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:08 pm

What about instead trying to improve this?

SanicHegehog
Koopa
Koopa

Postby SanicHegehog » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:32 pm

Well, a Boss Rush, that is it
Nothing special about it, honestly, I did not liked that much

Reiuji Utsuho
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Time to make myself disappear

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:39 am

Review: Mr. Boring's Boss Rush by Mr Boring
{Gameplay: 10Pts | Scenery/Music: 10Pts}

Gameplay:
3 out of 10
Mr. Boring, You say you've lost interest because no one likes your level. This is a little silly to me as people have offered criticism and yet have accused them of calling you names and whatever. If you're prepared to give me some time then I'll note all the issues in this review and what happens after that is purely your choice.

First of all I took the hammer suit. Kept the hammer suit and really had no problem beating the bosses. It's as basic as it gets. You just fight a boss, get a power-up and fight another boss.

This level's biggest flaw is it's redundancy. There's no build up, no action.. you get a power-up, fight a boss, get a power-up, fight a boss, rinse, and repeat. Having multiple bosses is never an issue, but there has to be actual action. All I had to do was get a hammer suit, stand back a bit and just throw hammers until the boss died then move on to do the same thing. This is not fun.

With all due respect I can see you did put effort into this, but what came out is in all honesty not very enjoyable. It's not terrible, but not good either. Instead.. I'd even say it's too average.

Level design is bland and simple and really there's not a ton of moving around. Placement of NPCs is poor too because there shouldn't be a need for that many power-ups. I mean I only used two throughout the whole thing. This level also is relatively short.

Scenery/Music:
3 out of 10 {1Pts Scenery | 2Pts Music}
Scenery usage is poor as well. Only a couple sections have minimal amounts of BGOs and most sections feel empty.

Music for bosses are the average ones that fit each boss. Not much to say there.

Conclusion:
6 out of 20Pts {3Pts Overall {Rounded from 3}}
This level is too average for it's own good. I would have imagined a boss rush as fast-paced, full of action and challenging. This is more... slow, standard and really nothing special at all. It's a good baseline to work off of, but in its current state this is not unique or enjoyable. Not terrible, but not great by any means.

I personally would recommend:

~ Adding scenery to all sections to make them look more appealing.
~ Have bursts of action in between bosses, or mini-challenges to spice the level up.
~ Possibly custom music?
~ Less power-ups and more enemies.

As is also stands this is on the low end of the Average spectrum.

*Moved to Average

Mr Boring
Rex
Rex

Postby Mr Boring » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Haruna-san wrote: Mr. Boring, You say you've lost interest because no one likes your level.This is a little silly to me...

I do agree with you that I made a silly decision to "lose interest" because no one likes it. I am also not confident enough to improve the level, and I'm too lazy to.
...people have offered criticism and yet have accused them of calling you names and whatever.
I agree that this was also was a dumb thing for me to do, which I am more embarrassed about, so I deleted the reply before you even said that.

Navi
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: he/they

Postby Navi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:16 am

I played the level, and it was pretty average for an average player.

But I think it seemed bland and not enjoyable.
Anyway this is I think I would add to the level:
- Background Objs. which add uhm color to the level?
- Challenges, like delaying more time in generators
- Arenas
- ceilings
- make it as small as possible
- Please, don't add hammer suits.

Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: any

Postby Saltlord » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:46 am

The bosses could be more indivdual by adding some obstacles and fitting custom music. I mean, even a standard Boom-Boom can be a challenge if you create some enemy spawners or make an arena which exist only of Donut Blocks. Your Boss Rush could be fun, at least if you use some of the advices.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:28 am

Mr Boring wrote: I do agree with you that I made a silly decision to "lose interest" because no one likes it. I am also not confident enough to improve the level, and I'm too lazy to..
If you already too lazy to improve on something how will you ever release or make a proper level or episode?

Return to “Average”