Final Mother Brain Boss (New Update!)

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
ShoeHorn
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Final Mother Brain Boss (New Update!)

Postby ShoeHorn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:11 pm

This is my first official level that I put on the forum.
My level is just a simple boss fight, If you are lucky, you can get many hits on Mother Brain with just one onion.
It is now less repetitive now, as it has a much quicker pace. I could still use one more attack though. (If you have any ideas for new attacks, post them here.)

Graphics I used:
Spoiler: show
Background in the boss room: fanofSMBX's Graphics pack.
Grand Star: Valtteri's Graphics Pack.
Random invisible axe: Me - Also was super easy to make.
Screenshots:
Old Fight with Propeller foreground problems.
New Rings replacing Propellers.
Rings Disappear durring spike attack to avoid some odd problems.
New Onions replacing Snifits. (NOTE: Strange bouncing occurs when jumped on.)
How many hits can YOU get with one onion?
OK. Here it is (With Update.):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5302b ... folder.zip
Last edited by ShoeHorn on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Re: Final Mother Brain Boss

Postby TDK » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:15 pm

ShoeHorn wrote:This is my first official level that a put on the forum. Unfortunately I cannot find a screenshots folder in my smbx, so I cannot have screenshots. (wait... can I just create a folder called screenshots, and it will work? I do not know. tell me if I am correct.)

My level is just a simple boss fight. (it might get a little repetitive)

If you are confused at how to damage mother brain, click this spoiler.
Hint: use the sniffits (if you do not know what a sniffit is. click this spoiler.
A snifit is like a shy guy, but shoots bullets from it's mask.
OK. Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x69o9 ... folder.rar
Yes, you can make a folder called "screenshots", and press F12 in the editor.

ShoeHorn
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby ShoeHorn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:16 pm

superluigi234 wrote:
ShoeHorn wrote:This is my first official level that a put on the forum. Unfortunately I cannot find a screenshots folder in my smbx, so I cannot have screenshots. (wait... can I just create a folder called screenshots, and it will work? I do not know. tell me if I am correct.)

My level is just a simple boss fight. (it might get a little repetitive)

If you are confused at how to damage mother brain, click this spoiler.
Hint: use the sniffits (if you do not know what a sniffit is. click this spoiler.
A snifit is like a shy guy, but shoots bullets from it's mask.
OK. Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x69o9 ... folder.rar
Yes, you can make a folder called "screenshots", and press F12 in the editor.
ok, I will. thanks.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:53 pm

When you have screenshots, please send them to a level judge or staff member and this topic will be unlocked.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:22 pm

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of FINAL MOTHER BRAIN BOSS by SHOEHORN

Design (4.5/10)

Actually not bad for a Mother Brain fight. It's pretty hard to take one of these and make it into something fun. However, this battle is VERY repetitive. First, four Rinkas appear which you have to dodge for a few seconds. The Fire Flower is useful because you can use it to kill them. Then, sets of spikes appear and you have to jump between them. Now you should probably make the spaces between these spikes wider because it's way too hard to jump through them without getting hurt unless you're small Mario. Then two Snifits appear, which you use to hit Mother Brain with. These Snifits kind of break the boss, since Mario can jump high enough to hit Mother Brain repeatedly with them. Then two lava waves come and sweep across the stage. After that it all starts again. Like I said, the whole thing was very repetitive and you probably needed more attacks to diversify it a little.

Atmosphere (6/10)

I guess you're new to SMBX, but considering how short this level is (it's literally 3 screens) you made use of what you had. I especially liked those generators you made the Snifits come out of. Very creative.

Other Comments: dat star tho

Overall 5.25/10 (Average)
Not a bad boss at all, just needs to be less repetitive.

ShoeHorn
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby ShoeHorn » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Turtwig wrote:UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of FINAL MOTHER BRAIN BOSS by SHOEHORN

Design (4.5/10)

Actually not bad for a Mother Brain fight. It's pretty hard to take one of these and make it into something fun. However, this battle is VERY repetitive. First, four Rinkas appear which you have to dodge for a few seconds. The Fire Flower is useful because you can use it to kill them. Then, sets of spikes appear and you have to jump between them. Now you should probably make the spaces between these spikes wider because it's way too hard to jump through them without getting hurt unless you're small Mario. Then two Snifits appear, which you use to hit Mother Brain with. These Snifits kind of break the boss, since Mario can jump high enough to hit Mother Brain repeatedly with them. Then two lava waves come and sweep across the stage. After that it all starts again. Like I said, the whole thing was very repetitive and you probably needed more attacks to diversify it a little.

Atmosphere (6/10)

I guess you're new to SMBX, but considering how short this level is (it's literally 3 screens) you made use of what you had. I especially liked those generators you made the Snifits come out of. Very creative.

Other Comments: dat star tho

Overall 5.25/10 (Average)
Not a bad boss at all, just needs to be less repetitive.
Questions and answers for myself.

Q: What should I replace the snifits with?
A: Probably Veggies that are set to Blocktop=0 or whatever its called.

Q: What new attacks Should I add?
A: You can suggest new attacks for the boss fight.

Also you can just crouch in mid-air to dodge the spikes a lot easier.
Thanks for the review!

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: Final Mother Brain Boss (New Update!)

Postby PixelPest » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Official Review of Final Mother Brain Boss

This is a pretty simple and uninteresting bossfight. It's very repetetive and still exploitable by holding an onion up to the Mother Brain just like the Snifits. Bombs are often a better option. The styles used here don't really look natural together, although they're not overly unappealing either. The pillars also should have bottoms. The bossfight isn't overly bad, the events are well coordinated, it's just not very interesting and too repetitive. Adding more phases (stages of the boss) and a variety of enemies would help. Also try adding some challenges that aren't unfair. There's not much else to say about this level since it's just a short, repetitive bossfight.

Overall: 3.5/10 (Average)

Return to “Average”