Majestic Mountain

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Majestic Mountain

Postby SuperMario7 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:12 pm

My contest level for the 6th community contest. It came in 4th place with a score. Enjoy!

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qa7md ... untain.zip

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Majestic Mountain

Postby zlaker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:17 am

I did make a revenue of this. Even though I'm not a Level Judge. I'll probably post it here. But I can say that I really liked the level. Good job SuperMario7
Meow..

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 am

Long time since I last seen this level, truly majestic level.

Never said this I think, but those graphics fit nicely, the design looks amazing, but the level was rather tough fore me, don't remember exactly why, but I just feel I had a hard time playing it. Anyway, good job with this level, seems you're going to use it for your project as well.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:37 am

I do understand why this got in 4th place, let me just praise it a bit.
Review: Majestic Mountain
When I said to myself "Ah I should review all the levels starting with "M" today I didn't expect one of my favourite types of levels getting shot right into my face straight away. Thus, I might be biased a bit by the fact that this is a Mountain/Cloud level and I absolutely love those.

First off, this level reminds me a bit of Kyo's level for one of the biased towers, Adventurous Ascent or something, at least something with "A"-Alliteration and Ascent in the name. I'll get to that later, though. Let's talk about your level first.

You seem to have tried to get everything perfect in this level, three tilesets were used which work together really well, not to mention the bgos, which also fit amazingly well. The only bgo I kinda expected but which didn't appear was the SMB1 Cloud though, but well, you got me there ;D

Pipes work both ways, that's the way it should be. Although I found one little nitpick with the warps I just have to mention: When trying to deactivate the blue wall at the trampoline, you can enter the pipe, but not enter it the other way. That's okay. You have to progress to the top and then exit through there. But I accidentally re-entered the pipe and had to do that all over again, but with less enemies. I think to perfectionize this part you could make a warp appear which allows going through the pipe at the bottom, after you've been to the springboard section, of course, with the help of invis axes. A bit complicated and just to prevent one mistake, but it'd just make that part perfect.

I didn't see bubble'd enemies in a while and I have to say that they synergize very well with the overall level, especially the bullet bill cannon section. Chargin' Chucks were also used cleverly, each having his own unique attack which helps him in the very spot he's in.

I've recently seen the Red Coin thing in Substantial Steppe, so I've asked myself if Kep played your level and borrowed from that. May well be. The gimmick was nontheless well implimented and added to the whole mountain type theme.

Let's get back to Kyo's Armadillo Ascent for a second. You've used the same temple tileset he's used, but his level was set further in space. That's one thing I noticed, and it makes the whole magically-floating ruins thing a bit out of place. I think the level would've been just as great without the ruins at all, because, to be honest, when you have stars below ruins in a daytime mountain level you might aswell just change the background to SMW Night. So yeah. That felt like it didn't fit. It did help for the spikes and thus the yoshi section, however. But I think you could've used wooden spikes on grass tiles aswell.

Here's a little tip: You don't need to place lava on top of mushrooms to make the player die when going out of bounds. You can hide the layer until the coin has been collected and then show it. There is no way the player can interact with the platform before it's officially there using that method.

Back to the ruins: Another complain I have is the background walls and the pillars both lacking a black outline. It just feels kinda odd compared to all the outlined stuff in this level.

Music was great. Adventurous. It felt good playing this.
Overall, this is near perfect. As said, I didn't like the ruins in this level. They are better in a level theme like Aftershave Ascent used, but other than that, no complains. Here's your score.
Graphics: 2/3 Here goes ruins choice.
Music: 2/2 Yep.
Gameplay: 5/5 Not gonna take one point off for the single warp which isn't broken, but could be improved. Great job!

9/10
As said, maybe I'm a bit biased, but this truely is a level worth playing. Good job!

Eternity
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Eternity » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:01 am

Sceptrum wrote:I do understand why this got in 4th place, let me just praise it a bit.
This level didn't get 4th place because it was a bad level; it's just that the others were slightly better. 4th place is still pretty good though :p

Anyway, I also really enjoyed playing through this. The level design was very well done, with some nice gimmicks that actually flow well and without any are being too cluttered or too open.

The aesthetics wee also pretty nice, but some of the graphics didn't really fit imo (the ruin tiles look a bit too detailed when compared with the SMW GFX, but that might be just me).
---
A simple and fun to play level, definitely worth playing. Great job, and I'm looking forward to more from you! :D

Overall Score - 8.5/10

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:15 am

I didn't say it was bad. I know how the contest works and 4th place is a great place for competing against like 40 different people. I think the highest I ever got was place 6 so yeah.

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and reviews! I appreciate it a lot. :)

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:59 pm

You have to be at arround after 7:00 in order to watch your Level:

Original YouTube Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFqoyn4LchY

YTsupertyrusland23

Postby YTsupertyrusland23 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:11 pm

[/quote]

BarbarianKabbage
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby BarbarianKabbage » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:59 am

Reminds me of the Mt. Hood in Oregon State!(The state I live in)

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:06 pm

BarbarianKabbage wrote:Reminds me of the Mt. Hood in Oregon State!(The state I live in)
Please be a little more constructive in posts like this.

AlphaCPS
Bit
Bit
Flair: generic flair

Postby AlphaCPS » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:40 am

Cool!

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Abdominous wrote:Cool!
You too. Be more constructive!

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:09 pm

YTsupertyrusland23: Cool video playthrough.

BarbarianKabbage: Interesting. I've never been to Mt. Hood but it sounds like a fun place to go!

Abdominous: Thanks, I'm happy you like it.

YTsupertyrusland23

Postby YTsupertyrusland23 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:11 pm

SuperMario7 wrote:YTsupertyrusland23: Cool video playthrough.

BarbarianKabbage: Interesting. I've never been to Mt. Hood but it sounds like a fun place to go!

Abdominous: Thanks, I'm happy you like it.
thank you :)

crusher169
Flurry
Flurry

Postby crusher169 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:09 am

playthrough:

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:14 am

I enjoyer your level, especially your red coin and Yoshi area (it means we must use Yoshi for through this level.)
also I like your graphic and level design. I was inspired from your level for make a level with same theme but different CGFX.
Great.job! :D
sorry fir bad english

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Wow good job! is one of the best levels i've played

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:41 pm

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:Wow good job! is one of the best levels i've played
It's indeed a great level!, I love the design and aesthetics.

Lel_06
Rex
Rex

Postby Lel_06 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:57 am

I like this level ! Checkpoint presence is good. :D

Return to “The Best”