Waterfall Winds

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Waterfall Winds

Postby AirShip » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:37 am

somebody wrote:Music of Touhou do not match with SMBX
Well, here we have a level with touhou music that combines.

Screenshotas:
Spoiler: show
No click here for download.

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Waterfall Winds

Postby Erik » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:45 pm

I really like this level!, it has a nice forest-ish atmosphere and I really enjoyed playing it. Good job!

Cacazk
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Cacazk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Very good :P! Design perfect, very beautiful graphics (the leaves of trees (my god, innovative graphic) matching the tileset, bgos, bg2, the arrow platforms)... and good gimmick of the woods! Just did not like the beginning of the level, the font are very large... very good, 8.2/10,... this level is pretty good! :geek:,

Publish more screens of level, the one you published has nothing to do with the level.

AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Postby AirShip » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:30 am

Ludwig von Koopa wrote:I really like this level!, it has a nice forest-ish atmosphere and I really enjoyed playing it. Good job!
Tanks!
Cacazk wrote:Very good :P! Design perfect, very beautiful graphics (the leaves of trees (my god, innovative graphic) matching the tileset, bgos, bg2, the arrow platforms)... and good gimmick of the woods! Just did not like the beginning of the level, the font are very large... very good, 8.2/10,... this level is pretty good! :geek:,

Publish more screens of level, the one you published has nothing to do with the level.
Oh yes, the 4x4 font, well, I was too lazy to draw large letters, so I just increase a generic font, I will fix this in the future.

About screenshota, I did it on purpose actually, I know how people usually only play levels that have good screenshots, making a pre-judgment on the level.

I wanted to force the player to lower the level for him really see it completely.

Reiuji Utsuho
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Time to make myself disappear

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:43 pm

I'll review this one either tonight or tomorrow. ~

Nevermind. ~

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:20 am

Whoa i'm reviewing a level what.

REVIEW OF WATERFALL WINDS BY AIRSHIP

PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING
I am having quite a lot of trouble finding many bad things in this level >_<. The atmposhere is good and stuff except for the platform paths which really stand out as outstandingly ugly, the gameplay is really fun and poses a fun challenge, the falling wood platforms are interesting and keep you on your toes. I can't really find much else thats i find bad though except for the fact that i actually missed the checkpoint because i thought that the pipe was optional (You could add a sign that tells you that the pipe is a checkpoint). You should've also put some power-ups in regular ? blocks because if they're just in big brick stucture areas it takes away from a part of the players time with boring jumping, but now i'm just nitpicking pretty much because this level is so good.

SCORE:
9/10

Moved to the best because this level is great

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:21 pm

My Review:

Atmosphere [5/5]
While incredibly simplistic I would have to say it was perfectly executed.

Level Design [3/5]
For one, the midway point is was too out of place. It exists in its own sub-section which the player can easily disregard if they are stupid enough to do so. On top of this, the midway point is white and so is the background it rests in. This being said, one can not only skip the midway point but not even notice it if they aren't paying attention. In addition to this, I find it difficult to effectively platform on multiple line-riding platforms when both of their liens are the exact same length. Meaning that with poor timing you can actually get yourself completely stuck because both of the platforms will be equal distance from each other so you can never actually jump to the next platform.

Graphical Continuity [4/5]
I highly appreciated the originality in the Line Rider graphic, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. I feel like it should either be a different color or not be so bloody thick. Then there is also the sperm ghosts as well, sometimes that enemy can blend in with the major BG itself which can surprise the player. But that last comment is not being taken into consideration for the score, since it is the player's responsibility to notice NPCs but I highly recommend given them a more distinct color.

Music Continuity [5/5]
No Comment: the music was fitting for the level. While I could name quite a few musical pieces that would fit more, I can say that your level was perfect enough.

BGO Placement [5/5]
No Comment. The mixture of reed/bamboo on top of a very large canopy gave the level a GREAT atmosphere. I also consider the falling leaves into this category since they were not real NPCs or obstacles.

NPC Placement [5/5]
If the sperm ghosts get a graphical change, then I will consider this perfect. Since it is the only problem that I have, I will no dock off points. The rest of the enemies were well placed, albeit much too easy but I am no complaining.

Diffculty / Replayability [5/5]
The difficulty of this level is way too easy given the amount of resources you had at your disposal. However, the replay-ability of this level is what gives this level a 5/5 in this category. I had a ton of fun in this level even though I only died out of curiosity and impatience.

Overall Score: 32/35
Final Score: 9.1
Judgement: The Best
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfx8YP8 ... e=youtu.be
Spoiler: show

Gameinsky
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Gameinsky » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:23 am

This is indeed a great level with good non-liner level design and nice aesthetics.
The music did fit so you succeeded in your goal.
I also really liked the exploding log sections, those actually made me jump from excitement the first time I saw them!

Though if I were to point out issues with this is that the level feels VERY busy. There's a billion moving things at once on the screen and it can quickly become bothersome to distinguish non-lethal from enemies.
And I agree with Adam that the checkpoint had no reason to be in its separate section.
Also, it would have been nice to have the NPC's talk in English.

I'd personally give it a clear 9, but you could easily fix most of the problems with this.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:06 am

I don't like how the background in this level has a cut animation (if that even makes sense). I mean you can rip other 4 frames from that YI background, create two looping events, and make these backgrounds change after each second or so. This will help you make these waterfalls look more realistic.

Return to “The Best”