Topics that have reached 100 pages.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Screenshot thread number NEIN (9)

Postby Emral » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:41 am

TNTtimelord wrote:
Enjl wrote:I can't see the level behind the cluster of custom graphics tbh.
I could say the same thing about Robotics;Shisetsu.
Thank you for bringing up mistakes which I have already learned from.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:58 am

Why should the looks of something matter when actual level is good? If the level has solid gameplay and but doesn't look appealing does it make the level automatically bad and not enjoyable? I can understand if something looks like horseshit. Not trying to imply that visuals don't matter at all, but still.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:56 am

simple as 1-1(?)

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:17 am

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:58 am

zlakergirl357 wrote:Why should the looks of something matter when actual level is good? If the level has solid gameplay and but doesn't look appealing does it make the level automatically bad and not enjoyable? I can understand if something looks like horseshit. Not trying to imply that visuals don't matter at all, but still.
If it has solid gameplay, but looks terrible, it isn't automatically bad and not enjoyable. That's not what I said. I said if a level looks terrible but plays well, yeah I'll enjoy the level as a whole, but the terrible looks will be hard to ignore. Again, if I'm playing a level, I want good gameplay, but also something appealing to look at.
Enjl wrote:Thank you for bringing up mistakes which I have already learned from.
Robotics:Shisetsu didn't even look bad. Using a lot of custom graphics shouldn't deem it a mistake.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:
Enjl wrote:Thank you for bringing up mistakes which I have already learned from.
Robotics:Shisetsu didn't even look bad. Using a lot of custom graphics shouldn't deem it a mistake.
That's not the mistake I was implying. The mistake was a lack of contrast between objects you could and couldn't interact with. Quite a few people I've talked to didn't know that the doors were doors and the signs were signs because they blend in too well with the background.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:29 pm

Then yeah, that's not a good use of custom graphics. But using a lot of custom graphics in general shouldn't be automatically deemed as bad unless the gameplay sucks.

Sewpah
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sewpah » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Spoiler: show

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:But using a lot of custom graphics in general shouldn't be automatically deemed as bad unless the gameplay sucks.
I'm not a fan of it when levels are recognisable merely thanks to their graphical choices. From what I can tell in the screenshot, this level will be known as "the level which also used the red/purple clouds but decided to add airships for a bit of variety in plaforming". There's nothing remarkable to the layout of the level from what I can see in this screenshot. You could swap out the graphics with a forest/tree tileset and call it a different level, even though it's exactly the same.
What I'm getting at is that to me there's a lack of evidence to support that this level is going to be worth playing. If the screenshot showed an area with an interesting idea (one thing I can see working with this level is blocks of one colour being solid at a time) or if said core premise of the level was explained in the comment above, I'd probably think "oh this looks like a nice level I might play it". It's not hard to impress me, but a screenshot of a palette-swapped grassland level certainly won't.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:24 pm

Enjl wrote:
Zeldamaster12 wrote:But using a lot of custom graphics in general shouldn't be automatically deemed as bad unless the gameplay sucks.
I'm not a fan of it when levels are recognisable merely thanks to their graphical choices. From what I can tell in the screenshot, this level will be known as "the level which also used the red/purple clouds but decided to add airships for a bit of variety in plaforming". There's nothing remarkable to the layout of the level from what I can see in this screenshot. You could swap out the graphics with a forest/tree tileset and call it a different level, even though it's exactly the same.
What I'm getting at is that to me there's a lack of evidence to support that this level is going to be worth playing. If the screenshot showed an area with an interesting idea (one thing I can see working with this level is blocks of one colour being solid at a time) or if said core premise of the level was explained in the comment above, I'd probably think "oh this looks like a nice level I might play it". It's not hard to impress me, but a screenshot of a palette-swapped grassland level certainly won't.
A "level which also used the red/purple clouds but decided to add airships for a bit of variety in plaforming" is not what it's supposed to be, it supposed to be "a sky level being attacked, however the statues are hiding a secret", if it was for having sky and airship tilesets, there would've have been more of the level already and it would've been a mess like one of my scrapped CC13 levels.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:28 pm

"the statues hiding a secret" does sound interesting. There we go.

Hani
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Hani » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:52 am

I will fix the water and most of these graphics.
Last edited by Hani on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:21 am

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:05 am

Marvel at the awesome design, brilliant aesthetics and amazing gameplay of the best level ever made in the history of SMBX.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:14 am

omg linik confirmed to be the god of smbx

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:18 am

Remove all the blocks and it's perfect

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:57 am

Holy crap, Tinkerbell! What are you doing here?

Also, awesome looking level Linik. Best one EVAH!

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Linik wrote:Image

Marvel at the awesome design, brilliant aesthetics and amazing gameplay of the best level ever made in the history of SMBX.
Is that Cedrik's CC12 entry. You know, the one he didnt steal from zlaker.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Shine on you crazy diamond.

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Looks pretty good, though I'd change the colors of the bush with eyes to match the colors of the other bushes - it's a little too bright and saturated.

Return to “Pit of 100 Pages”