Airship Factory Funk (UPDATED)

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
SecondScolipede
Blooper
Blooper

Airship Factory Funk (UPDATED)

Postby SecondScolipede » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:52 pm

So, I spent a little more time on this than I should have, (Shoulda spent that time doing homework) but whateva, who cares.
This is an airship / Factory level. There are two paths the player can take, giving this level a bit of replay value. Most of the graphics in this level were ripped by Martijn and Valterri, from Super Mario Maker. Leave some feedback and cookies for santa.
Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/e1myp
*Note: In the third screenshot, you will be riding a moving platform.
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/80vbe30hzeuhk ... k.zip?dl=0
Last edited by SecondScolipede on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Taker
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: Airship Factory Funk

Postby Taker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Hey bud I tried the level out but there's some things you need to change before I can review it, or else it'll be a really low score.

I can't play at all. The switch you have to hit in order to proceed is 2 blocks tall, and if you're playing as luigi, i didn't test it with the other characters, whenever you jump at a 2 block tall space if the airship you're in is moving, you die. Either make the airship not moving or make all blocks 3 block tall. Also, the little net things looked climbable but they aren't and I died because I thought they were climbable.

SecondScolipede
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SecondScolipede » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:04 pm

Orochimaru wrote:Hey bud I tried the level out but there's some things you need to change before I can review it, or else it'll be a really low score.

I can't play at all. The switch you have to hit in order to proceed is 2 blocks tall, and if you're playing as luigi, i didn't test it with the other characters, whenever you jump at a 2 block tall space if the airship you're in is moving, you die. Either make the airship not moving or make all blocks 3 block tall. Also, the little net things looked climbable but they aren't and I died because I thought they were climbable.
For the first one, really? I never ran into that problem, and I played as all 4 characters, except link. I will fix it though. I do reccommend though, when doing a review, play as mario first since that's who most people use while making the level. Play as the other characters afterwards, to test and see if the level can be played as them.

As for the nets, I will make them darker so they attract less attention and look like normal BGO's

Taker
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Taker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:12 pm

SecondScolipede wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:Hey bud I tried the level out but there's some things you need to change before I can review it, or else it'll be a really low score.

For the first one, really? I never ran into that problem, and I played as all 4 characters, except link. I will fix it though. I do reccommend though, when doing a review, play as mario first since that's who most people use while making the level. Play as the other characters afterwards, to test and see if the level can be played as them.

As for the nets, Should I make them darker so they look like they are in the background?

Yes, please make the nets darker or add a warning sign saying "Nets are not climbable" or do as the author of Melting Magma Mountains who put a sign in the beginning saying "Darker Vines(nets) are not climbable, but brighter ones are."

But for the problems I found, it only works of you're 2 blocks tall or Super whoever. I always use Luigi because he's my favorite character and he jumps higher.

EDIT: The death is only for luigi. Also, when you step on the yellow beach koopas or when you hit them with a shell, their effect is green shell/shoes and not yellow.

SecondScolipede
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SecondScolipede » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Orochimaru wrote:Yes, please make the nets darker or add a warning sign saying "Nets are not climbable" or do as the author of Melting Magma Mountains who put a sign in the beginning saying "Darker Vines(nets) are not climbable, but brighter ones are."

But for the problems I found, it only works of you're 2 blocks tall or Super whoever. I always use Luigi because he's my favorite character and he jumps higher.
Updated. Just be aware, even though I played through with all characters, this level is intended to played as mario, so if Luigi causes any other troubles, you might just have to play as mayro. (Sorry, I can only do so much with all of these moving airships)

I'll fix the koopas later today.

Taker
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Taker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:41 pm

SecondScolipede wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:Yes, please make the nets darker or add a warning sign saying "Nets are not climbable" or do as the author of Melting Magma Mountains who put a sign in the beginning saying "Darker Vines(nets) are not climbable, but brighter ones are."

Updated. Just be aware, even though I played through with all characters, this level is intended to played as mario, so if Luigi causes any other troubles, you might just have to play as mayro. (Sorry, I can only do so much with all of these moving airships)

I'll fix the koopas later today.

Way better now man!

Fawful265
Rex
Rex

Postby Fawful265 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:38 am

Wow that's funny and awesome ;)

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:27 pm

Fawful265 wrote:Wow that's funny and awesome ;)
Please be more constructive. What did and didn't you like about the level?

Fawful265
Rex
Rex

Postby Fawful265 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:
Fawful265 wrote:Wow that's funny and awesome ;)
Please be more constructive. What did and didn't you like about the level?
I'am say what musics in this level funny and level himself awesome :)

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:20 pm

That's still not constructive.

Taker
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Taker » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Airship Factory Funk Review

Creativity - 10.00

I loved the level. This could be in a real Mario game with no trouble exept for the music, which is unfitting to an airship.

Difficulty - 6.8

So, you did a bad job with the difficulty. It's almost impossible to complete the level with Luigi because there's a glitch which kills you when you jump on a 2 block tall moving layer. Which killed me at the green switch. The NPC placement was good, but the Yellow Koopa always confused me, I thought he would turn around instead of kamikaze style my ass.

Overall - 8.7

This level is really enjoyable if you're calm like me. And really rage-y if you're a rage quitter like Joey bossedit8. I'd reccomend this for professional players looking for a challenge that's not Kaizo Mario.

Final Score - 9.5

SecondScolipede
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SecondScolipede » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Orochimaru wrote:Airship Factory Funk Review

Creativity - 10.00

I loved the level. This could be in a real Mario game with no trouble exept for the music, which is unfitting to an airship.

Difficulty - 6.8

So, you did a bad job with the difficulty. It's almost impossible to complete the level with Luigi because there's a glitch which kills you when you jump on a 2 block tall moving layer. Which killed me at the green switch. The NPC placement was good, but the Yellow Koopa always confused me, I thought he would turn around instead of kamikaze style my ass.

Overall - 8.7

This level is really enjoyable if you're calm like me. And really rage-y if you're a rage quitter like Joey bossedit8. I'd reccomend this for professional players looking for a challenge that's not Kaizo Mario.

Final Score - 9.5
Heh... not to be self-detrimental, but that's a bit of a generous score compared to how low the difficulty score was.

Despite that, i'll be doing some fixes for the level. I'll try to make the level a bit better for playing as luigi, and I'll change the yellow koopas back to green. A few other NPC placement changes. Also, Did you even play the entire level? There are 5 sections in total in this level, and you only seemed to cover the first one. (One of those sections is just an in-between of the Factory and Airship parts, and another one is a boss fight)
Can you also go into a bit more detail about the difficulty? Or was the luigi glitch and the yellow koopas the only issues in the difficulty?
and although I don't want to, i'll change the music...
Actually no because I can't find anything that fits better for an upbeat airship level

Fawful265
Rex
Rex

Postby Fawful265 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:17 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:That's still not constructive.
And how i'am must talking about this level O_o

SecondScolipede
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SecondScolipede » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 am

Fawful265 wrote:
You are just saying generic things about the level, such as "I like it" or "this is cool"

Also, it is extremely hard to even tell what it is you are saying.
Why do we have so many users who can't speak english properly?

Fawful265
Rex
Rex

Postby Fawful265 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:12 am

SecondScolipede wrote:
Fawful265 wrote:
You are just saying generic things about the level, such as "I like it" or "this is cool"

Also, it is extremely hard to even tell what it is you are saying.
Why do we have so many users who can't speak english properly?
Oh man i just say what level cool why you attacked me?

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Re: Airship Factory Funk (UPDATED)

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:44 am

He's not attacking you.

When you're talking about the level, make a more descriptive post than "I like this level". Say what you did and didn't like about the level for starters.

Fawful265
Rex
Rex

Postby Fawful265 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:He's not attacking you.

When you're talking about the level, make a more descriptive post than "I like this level". Say what you did and didn't like about the level for starters.
Ok i'am very liked this level because he very creative and "beautiful" :D

SecondScolipede
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SecondScolipede » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:29 pm

Bumpity Bump Bump
I don't think it's considered impatient if I ask for a review now, is it? Heck, I'm surprised that there are still levels older than this one without reviews.

Reiuji Utsuho
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Time to make myself disappear

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:26 am

Quick note from me to SecondScolipede:
Spoiler: show
I do apologize for the wait you've been on. I'm only a new lj so I likely would've come to your level in the next couple days anyway, I just don't have a ton of time on my hands as I have business I have to handle on weekdays, not counting Monday most times. So once again thanks for being very patient and let's get on to the review! ; w ;
--------

Review: Airship Factory Funk by SecondScolipede
{Gameplay: 10Pts | Scenery/Music: 10Pts}

Gameplay:
10 out of 10
This level was very enjoyable and creative! The design was very well done, there weren't drawn out areas, or at least areas where there was nothing to do, you're always moving and doing something and the two different paths you put on the first level was a really good touch to encourage exploration.

Enemy and power-up placement was very decent and I would also like to say that this level, while challenging was fun because the challenge was genuine instead of being due to poor design and/or over-saturation of enemy NPCs.

Really I have no complaints about this and I had no trouble navigating the level. ~

Scenery/Music:
9 out of 10 {4Pts Scenery | 5Pts Music}
Another thing I really love about this level is how it's presented. All graphics fit well and compliment each other very nicely and the overall design is creative. While I'm not the biggest fan of airship levels I can appreciate the effort you took in making Airship Factory Funk not only an enjoyable level, but a very visually appealing one. Scenery usage is perfectly fine in the spots where it is used and I'd say no changes would be needed here.

For a level called 'Airship Factory Funk' I would be surprised to hear anything different, but your music choice is rather fitting and a great selection in general. It's very lively and really add to the atmosphere of this level. I would go as far to say the music is one of my favourite things about this level too. ^_^

Conclusion:
19 out of 20Pts {9Pts Overall {Rounded from 9.50}}
I had little to say as far as issues, because just did't have any. This level was very enjoyable, it looked good, and really I would recommend this level. I know it's one I'd gladly play again. ^_^

*Moved to The Best

SecondScolipede
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SecondScolipede » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:05 am

Wow! well, thank you very much! Also, I'm aware that you are a somewhat new judge, and it isn't really your fault this level is so old. It's my fault for not bumping it sooner. Also, what did you think of the underground factory section? I haven't heard anybody say much about that.

Return to “Average”