Black Balance Block

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
bossedit8
Banned

Black Balance Block

Postby bossedit8 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:05 am

Finally releasing my Community Contest 11 level right here! Basically one of my earlier levels Useage Abilities but completly redone into the newer version and it even has a boss aswell!

Spoiler: show

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Wpqi8Gs-s

Download Black Balance Block Level here!

CC11 Reviews:
Spoiler: show
bossedit8 - Black Balance Block (8.82/10)
  • Bomber57 (8.5/10)
    • Okay, so I actually liked this one for the majority of the time I played it. The reason the score is low is because the level simply didn't know when to end. After the first section I felt that this was a really good level and uses things people don't normally use in a SMBX level. Then I found a checkpoint. I said "Oh okay, shouldn't be too much more." Then the level kept going, and going, and going. Then there was a SMW star that acted as a checkpoint (thats real clever, actually) and then a boss that simply refused to die. Anyway, the level utilizes all the characters and has you go to different areas with them to activate switches. The level was challenging yet fair here, and once you hit all 5 switches you go in a pipe. There was then a checkpoint and a long section that has you choose between two characters three times. I want to keep this concise so I'll just say the level continues through a few big sections after that, and then has the boss, which was a mother brain with 4 rinkas while you had to deal with moving platforms over a bottomless pit. The only way to hurt her was to hit a trigger block that would shoot some SMB3 Bob-ombs at her. It wouldn't be too bad if the Bob-ombs actually hit, but instead they tended to fly into the pit or waste themselves on the rinkas flying around. The trigger block wasn't around always, so it really led to a long fight where I eventually died because I kept getting hit. The experience was good overall despite the insane length of the level.
    Chad (8.5/10)
    • Well this certainly was an adventure. The level does a spectacular job of using every individual ability that every character has, as well as every capability of their respective mounts. The level is carefully designed to restrict access only to those who can handle the areas that are designed for them, with no unintentional overlap that I could see, and that is quite impressive considering how difficult and careful you'd have to plan all this out to get the entire system to function as well as it does. I especially like Peach's route, and how the switch blocks make you crisscross where you've been and how the spikes and fences are placed. Enabling use of rare functions like Yoshis flying or Link bouncing on spikes is really good, too. There are so many split paths for each character, and all of them are very well made. I also enjoyed the upward propeller section with all the spikes and generating platforms, since those are a very unique and effective way to test the player on progressing that way. However, I found the sections with pink/purple Yoshis and the Flamethrower to be a little excessive. It's interesting that you found uses for nearly everything, but those felt a lot like the other sections and made the level drag on a bit. The SMW Star checkpoint was thoughtful, but I think the level length would have been fine if the second half consisted of only the section directly following the midpoint, the upward propeller section, and the boss. Other than that, the only things I'd really take issue with are how easy it is to get the black/blue Yoshis in the first area despite them not doing anything there, how an excess of scenery makes it a little hard to see things sometimes like the occasional cannon or spikes of almost the same color, and the Rinkas. There are also a few too many during the boss, and although they're reasonably possible on their own, it's sometimes hard to sync your movements with those, the propeller block, and a platform you need to land on. The bombs launching is also a distraction from all of those things at once, and a decrease of Rinkas would help that as they're the biggest problem in the set. The boss as a whole is really unique and climactic, though. The scrolling background, generating platform, propeller block, and method of attack create a great and original airborne battle. Overall, an excellent level with deliberately intricate design with a lot of complex tasks and a high level of visual detail all over the place.
    Quill (9.1/10)
    • This was an incredible level! The use of all five players was done amazingly. Each section for each individudal character used their abilities well and the obstacles present in each were unique and added lots of variety. The second half also had lots of alternate paths so you could try out new paths with a different character if you died. The second half did feel a little too long, but this isn't much of an issue with the Luna-styled checkpoint and the ability to regularly switch to another character with powerups if you get hit with another. The boss was a little crazy. The scrolling background was neat, although a little disorientating. I did like how the boss functioned, though it did get a little repetitive as the fight went on, especially if the bombs happened to miss the boss. Overall though, fantastic job!
    Valtteri (10.0/10)
    • I had to check if you sent me your CC6 entry ("Usage Abilities") because it looked exactly like this. :P Apparently this is a sequel, with the different playables in the spotlight which is great. The warp in the Link zone is placed incorrectly. I like how Link can't stomp enemies. That's how it should be, too. I feel this is a Switch level done right. The start point is a great way to keep track of progress. You know what switches you need to press and why, which motivates you to DO it and enjoy it. Overall it's a really versatile level. Outstanding. The boss is also very good. The scrolling effect is really cool.
    Wind (8.0/10)
    • Oh hey, it's a factory level! I enjoyed the character gimmick; that was pretty neat. The level layout was pretty confusing at first, but I got used to it quick. Everything seemed pretty bland; even the enemies were gray and lacked colour! While I liked how you also had different Yoshi types, things like Peach's bombs were not incorporated, which I feel was a wasted opportunity! Or were they? The level is so big, I probably might have missed them. A bit too big, in fact, since most of the time dying sent me a bit too far back, but the checkpoint star in the end helped. Nothing else to say about the level, really; the boss was pretty cool (I especially liked the rad background).
Enjoy my creations!
Last edited by bossedit8 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Black Balance Block

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:15 am

Good entry to the contest. ;) Wish I can enter, but I got community college class, work ,and videos to make! ;_;

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:31 pm

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:Wish I can enter
You can't enter. It already ended

Cacazk
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Cacazk » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:37 pm

This level is incredibly amazing :mrgreen:!! I do not see defects, This level is not like those what you get confused with so many paths, the chosen character is the way you have to go. That boss is fabulous!!! It reminded me quite terraria, it leaves you feeling quite action and very cool the background moving! That bridge replacing an NPC is very creative! (Mind if I use this bridge on a my level? :roll:) Anyway, I give 10/10 to this level, good levels so do not show up all day here.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 pm

This was quite a fun level, and I really do enjoy the atmosphere and the use of music was phenomenal! The Touhou 12 music actually fits in quite nicely with the boss as well! The diverse paths which give the illusion of choice is a very nice choice people and other users should do more often. I will admit, the fact it took me nine minutes to get to the boss, I am not sure if that is because of lag or not, I am not sure, but this level "might" be longer then my own! I have nothing against that since it is a superb level and has little to no flaws. Maybe if when you had to chose a character during the second part of the level was not balanced for the top and bottom! Specifically, when you bounce on spikes with "Link" or hover over enemies as "Peach", Use "Luigi" to fly over a bottomless pit and a pit of lava with a blue Yoshi or Use "Toad" to hop across spikes in a Kuribo show! Go through an easy "Link" section or ride Yoshi through a spike corridor with "Mario"! It gives us a choice, but the choices do not have equal difficulty which is a slight draw back! The "Hunt for the five switch blocks" was actually quite fun, even though I hate playing as Luigi.
I would give this level a 9.3775/10
I may not have seen 3rd, 4th, or 5th in CC11, but this was better then Two Nightmares at Robotics;Hotel!

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:54 am

Video created:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Wpqi8Gs-s

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:25 am

This level is absolutely amazing!, I really enjoyed playing this level. Good job!

Doge
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Doge » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:42 am

This seems like a really awesome level.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:07 am

Just for fun, there's a video based off of the same level but without custom graphics:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5WuoO8ScIg

Ludwig von Koopa wrote:This level is absolutely amazing!, I really enjoyed playing this level. Good job!
Doge wrote:This seems like a really awesome level.
Thank you! I'm glad you like my levels.

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:37 pm

lmao that video is great =P

Return to “The Best”