PGE thread [Archive 2015-07-31]

Topics that have reached 100 pages.
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Re: My Research of SMBX

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:19 pm

To all users: At this point, all this topic really has are analyses of background parallax and similar concepts. While these things are useful, they do not mean a new SMBX exists or will exist in the future.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:36 am

Joey wrote:To all users: At this point, all this topic really has are analyses of background parallax and similar concepts. While these things are useful, they do not mean a new SMBX exists or will exist in the future.
Joey, is the topic about design of new SMBX of an engine, and it really doesn't mean that it exists, its construction yet didn't begin. I plan to begin construction after the full research of SMBX engine.

bambooPenArtist

Re: New CrossPlarform OpenSource engine of SMBX

Postby bambooPenArtist » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:27 pm

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:Let's see... how many smbx failed reviving project we had counting this? ah yes 6.

many tryed many failed
Yes but do you realise how many times Thomas Edison failed to make the lightbulb?
Over 100! So anything is possible and I say if you want to try then try!

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Joey wrote:To all users: At this point, all this topic really has are analyses of background parallax and similar concepts. While these things are useful, they do not mean a new SMBX exists or will exist in the future.
Joey, is the topic about design of new SMBX of an engine, and it really doesn't mean that it exists, its construction yet didn't begin. I plan to begin construction after the full research of SMBX engine.
My point still stands. Like I said, the concept of "rebuilding SMBX" is only relevant once you have something to prove you're capable of doing so.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Joey wrote:My point still stands. Like I said, the concept of "rebuilding SMBX" is only relevant once you have something to prove you're capable of doing so.
Can you stop raining on everyone's parade and just enjoy the fact that people are actually dedicated enough to SMBX to actually do work like this? You're instantly throwing out the assumption that just because no progress has been made, it's going to be a failure. You have to give these things time, and not just repeatedly call someone off for doing something of the sort.

I said this somewhere in the past. I bet if we had enough DEDICATED programmers, we could build a brand new SMBX, but nobody seems to know enough about coding to actually do anything.

Still, I wish you luck on this project.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 pm

I'm neither raining on anyone's parade nor calling anything a failure - once someone has sufficient proof that they can recreate SMBX, then they can talk about recreating SMBX. Until then, this is just a study on background parallax and other things. Luckily, that information that Wohlstand has posted is useful, and that's why this topic is still open.

FallingSnow
Nipper
Nipper

Postby FallingSnow » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:42 pm

I think Joey's point kind of follows the screenshot rule with project threads. If there's no proof of actual progress, you aren't warranted a topic.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:28 pm

FallingSnow wrote:I think Joey's point kind of follows the screenshot rule with project threads. If there's no proof of actual progress, you aren't warranted a topic.
Yeah, this. The only reason this topic is still open is because Wohlstand's various studies could prove useful in some situations.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:03 am

8bitmushroom wrote:Still, I wish you luck on this project.
Many thanks for project support! In the near future I will submit the complete list of NPC together with characteristics.

Joey, see: before creating from scratch the program and furthermore a game engine, it is necessary to design it completely. Any design - drawing creation, according to the drawing we also create the working mechanism.
And here, any development of something requires design.
If I start building graphic and physical engines, I will do anyway everything is open and I will publish source codes on GitHab. As I told, the first stage, design, mandatory.

EVERYTHING that is part of the developed project, I puts here: http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:31 am

Updates:
- added integrated hidden GFX
- changed NPC list progress. (link to aplha-version of full NPC list on my developer page)

Navi
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: he/they

Postby Navi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:44 am

I wish you luck on this, and hope you finish this project you are starting.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Luigifan400 wrote:I wish you luck on this, and hope you finish this project you are starting.
Huge to you thanks!
For me this project is important, more than ever

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Very big work on creating the table NPC was done!
Though NPC was only 292, but the main complexity was played by their parameters - them too much and it is necessary to test each of them. Didn't do without the help of Veudekato which helped me with NPC's names and bugs with creating the NPC-table.
Thanks to joint efforts, this table is COMPLETE!

Main post updated

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:29 am

Main post updated:
- added Effects List
- added World map tiles list
- added NPC table in PDF format (Warning, table is very big, i recommend to use it only for preview. For using i recommend get ODS ot XLS versions with static table headers)
- added World map Scenery list
- added World map Paths list

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 am

Your research seems to go very well, you're almost done with it. Keep up the good work, I have great expectations out of this despite what some people may say about this.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Natsu wrote:Your research seems to go very well, you're almost done with it. Keep up the good work, I have great expectations out of this despite what some people may say about this.
Thanks, Natsu :)

Main post updated
- added music list
- added sounds list
- added World map Levels list
- Updated LVL and WLD File format description: add File format version check

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:21 pm

My god, this is going really fast, like, for real. Keep it up Wohlstand, you're almost done with the research.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Natsu wrote:My god, this is going really fast, like, for real. Keep it up Wohlstand, you're almost done with the research.
Thanks, Now I making the editor.

If you interesting, my sources of it here (Qt 4.8.1, MinGW for Windows or Qt 4.8.1 and gnu Compiler for Linux):
https://github.com/Wohlstand/PLatGEnWohl

and compiled EXE file with needed libs:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/EXE_tests ... _0.0.1.zip (Link updated 24 march 2014 9:38 UTC+4)
Warning, this is only experimental, I will periodically update this archive.
You can test opening the LVL files.
And if LVL file have errors, you will get some message:
The testing file data, because program get error:

If you get errors when reading some files, please, send me this files for I can make correctives.
(The Old-format file parser now in experimental mode, and on some files can get the errors)
Last edited by Wohlstand on Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Can't download it you know? Could you put everything on a Zip file and post it again?

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Natsu wrote:My god, this is going really fast, like, for real. Keep it up Wohlstand, you're almost done with the research.
The speed of listing NPCs in a table doesn't equate to the speed of coding a game that can support it.

I'll say what I say every time, great research and organization.

Return to “Pit of 100 Pages”