Topics that have reached 100 pages.
Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Re: PGE (Alternate Editor for SMBX) [0.3.0.3]

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:32 am

mariofan 64 wrote:Found a bug. I tried running the alpha engine testing in your 0.3.0.3, and it doesn't show up anywhere, but it's taking up processing power and functions, but not physically loading.
Also, is your engine normally the same speed as SMBX now? If so, it's slow for me. (Disregard if should be slow)
Yes, it works with same speed as SMBX. If it works slow, than your GPU is not so powerful or you forgot to install video driver for your video card. Which hardware specs you have?
PGE Engine uses OpenGL render with GPU acceleration, and you should install a driver for your video card to have a full performance of your video!

Ecruteak
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: It's been...
Pronouns: she/they

Postby Ecruteak » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:37 am

So it looks like the actual engine (pge_engine.exe) doesn't work on Windows XP. I used VirtualBox to use XP, and since SMBX kept freezing, I decided to use PGE. The editor works fine but the engine itself keeps crashing. This isn't much of a problem, but since it relates to PGE, I thought I'd contribute.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 am

ShyGuy37 wrote:So it looks like the actual engine (pge_engine.exe) doesn't work on Windows XP. I used VirtualBox to use XP, and since SMBX kept freezing, I decided to use PGE. The editor works fine but the engine itself keeps crashing. This isn't much of a problem, but since it relates to PGE, I thought I'd contribute.
Hm, recent time ago editor was incompatible with windows XP because dumb StackWalker code piece which I fixed and everythingbworks fine. If you wanna working engine on VirtualBox you should run QtCreator at parallel (I don't know why openGL textures are not wanna work under Virtual Box, same crap on Windows 7 under same virtualbox. I use it to build Windows version of PGE while I working on Linux host.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:36 am

Wohlstand wrote:
ShyGuy37 wrote:So it looks like the actual engine (pge_engine.exe) doesn't work on Windows XP. I used VirtualBox to use XP, and since SMBX kept freezing, I decided to use PGE. The editor works fine but the engine itself keeps crashing. This isn't much of a problem, but since it relates to PGE, I thought I'd contribute.
Hm, recent time ago editor was incompatible with windows XP because dumb StackWalker code piece which I fixed and everythingbworks fine. If you wanna working engine on VirtualBox you should run QtCreator at parallel (I don't know why openGL textures are not wanna work under Virtual Box, same crap on Windows 7 under same virtualbox. I use it to build Windows version of PGE while I working on Linux host.
he could be missing drivers too actually.

what OS do you even run ShyGuy? PGE is compatible with just about all operating systems. If you're able to hold off on testing I'd say install the version native to your operating system and create levels on there.

Ecruteak
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: It's been...
Pronouns: she/they

Postby Ecruteak » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:42 am

Luigifan2010 wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:
he could be missing drivers too actually.

what OS do you even run ShyGuy? PGE is compatible with just about all operating systems. If you're able to hold off on testing I'd say install the version native to your operating system and create levels on there.
What drivers?

I run Mac OS X (10.10 Yosemite), but I encountered problems with that one, so I was hoping to get better results with the Windows version. The editor works but not the engine (when I try to test it).

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:49 am

VirtualBox has its own drivers to get hardware accelerated video going. https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

The OS X builds are a little out of date if I remember correctly, if I had a Mac I'd totally start building for that operating system.

If you ever have a good amount of free time you can try building your own. It says the manual's depreciated but idk http://engine.wohlnet.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=67
If I can get access to a Mac this year, I'll work on getting PGE builds on OS X.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:04 am

Yea, Luigifan2010, I have installed drivers to virtualbox. The crap is:
- under Virtualbox (not matter which guest) PGE Engine can't render textures, but it still work even you see black screen or even gets crash. The small workaround thing than if Qt creator (which uses openGL to render self gui) is running and when you trying to run PGE Engine - it works fine. The promlem in openGL initialization where I have missed something, and I will ask Rednaxela about this think and will make than thing working under avirtualbox without workarounds.
What about mac build: be careful if you will get building errors, catch me in IRC at smbx or at freenode and I will fix my code to have fine building under osx
Last edited by Wohlstand on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:05 am

That's really weird, then again I've never attempted running OpenGL under VirtualBox, just SMBX.

Needless to say, I or someone needs to get a Mac/get on those Mac builds. ASAP! If I get access to a Mac this year I'll totally start building for OS X.

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper

Postby mariofan 64 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:57 am

Wohlstand wrote:
mariofan 64 wrote:Found a bug. I tried running the alpha engine testing in your 0.3.0.3, and it doesn't show up anywhere, but it's taking up processing power and functions, but not physically loading.
Also, is your engine normally the same speed as SMBX now? If so, it's slow for me. (Disregard if should be slow)
Yes, it works with same speed as SMBX. If it works slow, than your GPU is not so powerful or you forgot to install video driver for your video card. Which hardware specs you have?
PGE Engine uses OpenGL render with GPU acceleration, and you should install a driver for your video card to have a full performance of your video!
I think that's the problem right there. You're forcing the GPU to do most of the work. Because you're making the development for the engine bigger, you're going to have more and more problems if you keep the GPU usage the same. Have the CPU do it instead, and those that have slowness/crashes/unstartables might not have as much problems. That, and using RAM to store current data such as level and section data, and world map data to a certain extent outside of the view box, that should really fix some issues too. Just don't focus on having the GPU do all the work, and hand some of the heavy working power to the much stronger CPU. ;)
EDIT: OH GOSH, WOHLSTAND. Sneak. My problem of speed is fixed now. If the engine is slow, guys, switch it to full screen. Wow. I'm freaked now...
Last edited by mariofan 64 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:15 am

Well a GPU is kinda meant to process graphics...
RAM is what's used to store that data btw. OpenGL should have a hidden software (CPU) rendering switch though I don't know how to enable it

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:35 am

Luigifan2010 wrote:Well a GPU is kinda meant to process graphics...
RAM is what's used to store that data btw. OpenGL should have a hidden software (CPU) rendering switch though I don't know how to enable it
OpenGL works in software mode if you have no installed right video driver to have access to GPU

Expected
Bit
Bit

Re: PGE (Alternate Editor for SMBX) [0.3.0.4]

Postby Expected » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:18 am

I just stumbled upon this project and I must say, it looks amazing! My one question is: are the files created by PGE compatible with SMBX? If so, then I'm definitely switching to PGE -- SMBX is really counterproductive and doesn't allow me to get what I need to do, done.

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:28 am

Vyvuto wrote:I just stumbled upon this project and I must say, it looks amazing! My one question is: are the files created by PGE compatible with SMBX? If so, then I'm definitely switching to PGE -- SMBX is really counterproductive and doesn't allow me to get what I need to do, done.
They most certainly are compatible.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:04 am

Vyvuto wrote:I just stumbled upon this project and I must say, it looks amazing! My one question is: are the files created by PGE compatible with SMBX? If so, then I'm definitely switching to PGE -- SMBX is really counterproductive and doesn't allow me to get what I need to do, done.
Completely compatible!
PGE works with SMBX's lvl/wld files natively and works with custom stuff by same rules as in the SMBX. SMBX's stuff can be used as-is in the PGE.

Expected
Bit
Bit

Postby Expected » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:47 am

Wohlstand wrote:
Completely compatible!
PGE works with SMBX's lvl/wld files natively and works with custom stuff by same rules as in the SMBX. SMBX's stuff can be used as-is in the PGE.
That's incredible! I'm downloading this right now! Thanks for your hard work on this project!

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:06 pm

SMBX Experiments: Warps comarision with PGE Engine 0.2.1-alpha

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZofteiKl1c

Small comparison between SMBX 1.3 and PGE Engine 0.2.1-alpha.
PGE Engine has:
- Better condition of allowing to warp
- Better warp animation
- Unlike SMBX, PGE Engine doesn't move character to center of warp point (moving of character to center of warp point usually looks ugly)
- Screen fading while going between different sections

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper

Postby mariofan 64 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Does the luna settings work yet? I remember reading about people changing gravity and jump height, but when i save or compile, those changed setting don't work. Is the engine still not compatible with the luna codes yet?
Mind me for asking, but 0.3.0.4 isn't in the main page. Is this just an engine update?

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:18 pm

mariofan 64 wrote:Does the luna settings work yet? I remember reading about people changing gravity and jump height, but when i save or compile, those changed setting don't work. Is the engine still not compatible with the luna codes yet?
Mind me for asking, but 0.3.0.4 isn't in the main page. Is this just an engine update?
Luna autocode interpreter and per-level scripting like LunaLUA wasn't ported yet, thefore luna codes will not work before it will be actually ported. However I will provide built-in things to change gravity value (true gravity) where player will jump higher and will fall slower with smaller gravity value and will fall faster and will jump lower with high gravity value, etc. (LVLX is a powerful thing which gives able to implement everything into them, but those things will not be available for SMBX LVL file to keep compatibility)

Fennor
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Fennor » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:42 am

mariofan 64 wrote:Does the luna settings work yet? I remember reading about people changing gravity and jump height, but when i save or compile, those changed setting don't work. Is the engine still not compatible with the luna codes yet?
Right now you can change gravity globally by changing the configs. In PGE/configs/'YourConfig'/ you can find lvl_characters.ini which includes character physics.

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper

Postby mariofan 64 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:26 am

Fennor wrote:
Right now you can change gravity globally by changing the configs. In PGE/configs/'YourConfig'/ you can find lvl_characters.ini which includes character physics.
If that works, that's what I've been looking for.
...Seriously though. Where is 0.3.0.4?

Return to “Pit of 100 Pages”