SMBX under Linux (and Mac!) with PlayOnLinux/Wine

Share guides you have written for SMBX, and related tools here.
Axiom
Foo
Foo

Re: SMBX under Linux (and Mac!) with PlayOnLinux/Wine

Postby Axiom » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 pm

SMBX38A runs well through Wineskin on macOS Sierra. the only part that I couldn't get to work was the level editor, always crashed during loading. The game itself runs though.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Axiom wrote:SMBX38A runs well through Wineskin on macOS Sierra. the only part that I couldn't get to work was the level editor, always crashed during loading. The game itself runs though.
It uses Direct X 9 and you must have hardware acceleration, and your Wine toolchain also must have Direct X 9 installed.

Waluigi number one
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby Waluigi number one » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 pm

I am on Mac and I use Wineskin to play SMBX. The version 1.3.0.1 works correctly but SMBX 1.4 and 2.0 are not qorking correctly.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Waluigi number one wrote:I am on Mac and I use Wineskin to play SMBX. The version 1.3.0.1 works correctly but SMBX 1.4 and 2.0 are not qorking correctly.
For SMBX-38A you need to install Direct X 9 into the bottle, for SMBX2 you must turn Wine into the Windows 7 mode as LunaLoader has issues working on WinXP are wasn't fixed yet. Direct X still be needed for DirectSound that used by SDL Audio as back-end on Windows.

Waluigi number one
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby Waluigi number one » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Waluigi number one wrote:I am on Mac and I use Wineskin to play SMBX. The version 1.3.0.1 works correctly but SMBX 1.4 and 2.0 are not qorking correctly.
For SMBX-38A you need to install Direct X 9 into the bottle, for SMBX2 you must turn Wine into the Windows 7 mode as LunaLoader has issues working on WinXP are wasn't fixed yet. Direct X still be needed for DirectSound that used by SDL Audio as back-end on Windows.
Okay thanks I will make this when I will have time ;)

MegaLuigi
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MegaLuigi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:20 am

I'm on linux and i want to player smbx on that os. the script in the first thread for play on linux is missing: https://hastebin.com/

is there a new link or isn't it still working?

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:18 am

MegaLuigi wrote:I'm on linux and i want to player smbx on that os. the script in the first thread for play on linux is missing: https://hastebin.com/

Yes! Take this: http://wohlsoft.ru/LunaLua/smbx.pol
Yeah, Axiom wasn't updated his page... I need to poke him for that...

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
MegaLuigi wrote:I'm on linux and i want to player smbx on that os. the script in the first thread for play on linux is missing: https://hastebin.com/

Yes! Take this: http://wohlsoft.ru/LunaLua/smbx.pol
Yeah, Axiom wasn't updated his page... I need to poke him for that...
fixed :P

MegaLuigi
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MegaLuigi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:17 am

I've installed PlayOnLinux 4.4.10 on Ubuntu 16.04 and the process end with an error:
Error in POL_System_unzip
POL_System_unzip failed with error 9!
Here is the full error code from POL, maybe this helps: https://pastebin.com/0Nx7Nub6

There isn't a file "LunaLUA-SMBX-latest.zip" in the folder ".PlayOnLinux//ressources" so maybe the unzip failed. I can download the file manually with wget. Can i start the process at that point again or can i do the install manually?

MegaLuigi
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MegaLuigi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 am

Tried it again and now i have error code 2. i tried unzip manually and i think it is a permission problem because unzip trys to unzip in /.

The line in the pol script is this

Code: Select all

POL_System_unzip "$REPERTOIRE/ressources/$zipname" -d "$wineprefix/$shortname"
but i can't figure out what i need to change here

MegaLuigi
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MegaLuigi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:05 am

No Ideas for that?

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:16 am

MegaLuigi wrote:Tried it again and now i have error code 2. i tried unzip manually and i think it is a permission problem because unzip trys to unzip in /.

The line in the pol script is this

POL_System_unzip "$REPERTOIRE/ressources/$zipname" -d "$wineprefix/$shortname"
but i can't figure out what i need to change here
Was Wine downloaded correctly? Do you have stable network or it's sometimes breaks downloads?

MegaLuigi
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MegaLuigi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:26 am

All ok. i can run other windows apps and i can unzip the downloaded archive manually. is it correct that the mkdir command is uncommented in the script?

danilovesky
Goomba
Goomba

Postby danilovesky » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:58 pm

MegaLuigi wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:26 am
All ok. i can run other windows apps and i can unzip the downloaded archive manually. is it correct that the mkdir command is uncommented in the script?

I had to do a couple of corrections to the original http://wohlsoft.ru/LunaLua/smbx.pol script (to prevent error codes 9 and 2, that have been reported above).

The directory for unzipping SMBX has to be created (otherwise I get error code 2), and it needs to be a different path (NOT "$REPERTOIRE/wineprefix/$shortname/drive_c/$shortname" as in the commented line 40 in the original script):

mkdir -p "$REPERTOIRE/wineprefix/$PREFIX/drive_c/$shortname"

I had to change both the source and the destination of the unzip command in line 41 as follows:

POL_System_unzip "$REPERTOIRE/tmp/$zipname" -d "$REPERTOIRE/wineprefix/$PREFIX/drive_c/$shortname"

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:19 pm

danilovesky wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:58 pm
MegaLuigi wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:26 am

I had to do a couple of corrections to the original http://wohlsoft.ru/LunaLua/smbx.pol script (to prevent error codes 9 and 2, that have been reported above).

The directory for unzipping SMBX has to be created (otherwise I get error code 2), and it needs to be a different path (NOT "$REPERTOIRE/wineprefix/$shortname/drive_c/$shortname" as in the commented line 40 in the original script):

mkdir -p "$REPERTOIRE/wineprefix/$PREFIX/drive_c/$shortname"

I had to change both the source and the destination of the unzip command in line 41 as follows:

POL_System_unzip "$REPERTOIRE/tmp/$zipname" -d "$REPERTOIRE/wineprefix/$PREFIX/drive_c/$shortname"
Just now I have apllied your fixes and did a test at me... It's fine now, the "original" script you have referred has been updated, and now it contains your changes ;3

Also, I changed Wine version into 3.20.

danilovesky
Goomba
Goomba

Postby danilovesky » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:19 pm
Just now I have apllied your fixes and did a test at me... It's fine now, the "original" script you have referred has been updated, and now it contains your changes ;3

Also, I changed Wine version into 3.20.

It explains why the site domain is similar to your nickname :) Spasibo!

MegaLuigi
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MegaLuigi » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:16 am

Tested the script again on ubuntu 18.04 and it worked without any problems with playonlinux from the ubuntu repository.

Added in 4 minutes 19 seconds:
Can i run SMBX 2.0 also on linux? i tried it without playonlinux only with wine (from ubuntu repository) and it failed. the first window opened and i selected "play episode" and thats it. the window is closed and nothing happend. there also isn't an error in the terminal.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:05 am

MegaLuigi wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:20 am
Tested the script again on ubuntu 18.04 and it worked without any problems with playonlinux from the ubuntu repository.

Can i run SMBX 2.0 also on linux? i tried it without playonlinux only with wine (from ubuntu repository) and it failed. the first window opened and i selected "play episode" and thats it. the window is closed and nothing happend. there also isn't an error in the terminal.
SMBX2 is easily can be ran on the fresh Wine. The only requirement is MSVBVM6, Direct X 9, Quartz, and MSVC2015 runtime. I think, let's I'll create the PlayOnLinux script for SMBX2 too to let everyone use it easy!

danilovesky
Goomba
Goomba

Postby danilovesky » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:30 am

Wohlstand wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:05 am
MegaLuigi wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:20 am

SMBX2 is easily can be ran on the fresh Wine. The only requirement is MSVBVM6, Direct X 9, Quartz, and MSVC2015 runtime. I think, let's I'll create the PlayOnLinux script for SMBX2 too to let everyone use it easy!
A script would be great!
As a quick solution -- just unzipped SMBX2 beta4 next to where SMBX was installed (in the save virtual drive), and it should worked just fine (at least it did for me).
Note that while the map editor works great, however, the game itself is not really playable yet...

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:06 am

danilovesky wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:30 am
As a quick solution -- just unzipped SMBX2 beta4 next to where SMBX was installed..
SMBX2 beta 4 isn't out yet. You probably have a fake version.

Return to “Guides”