Robotics;Hotel (CC11 Winner)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Robotics;Hotel (CC11 Winner)

Postby Marina » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:19 am

There's not much to say about this level except that it won :)

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fym9x9qse4hsp ... 4.zip?dl=0

Screenshots (provided by Enjl):

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Robotics;Hotel

Postby Erik » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:20 am

Looks gr8, m8. Congratulations on winning the contest!

bossedit8
Banned

Re: Robotics;Hotel (CC11 Winner)

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:37 am

Might aswell post the reviews from cc11 here:
Spoiler: show
1. Marina - Two Nightmares at Robotics;Hotel (9.22/10)
  • Bomber57 (9.75/10)
    • Viewer beware, you're in for a scare. The exterior forest is very deceptive and doesn't prepare you for what awaits within the hotel. I was legitimately a little scared at first, which goes to show how great the atmosphere for this level was. All of the tricks and traps of this place felt unique, and could even be frustrating in the way you'd expect from a ghost house. The graphic and music choices were perfect for this level. Like any ghost house, the level can be punishing if you aren't observant. Paying attention can make the first half of the level easier. Once you get to the checkpoint things get a little too hectic in the last section. The lanterns that shoot fire can be a little much on top of the other enemies, but you provided enough powerups to make up for it. The custom npcs were creative, such as the floating bomb boo. The boss was my favorite part and was probably one of the most unique custom bosses I have ever fought. There was a life bar in the top left that helped you keep track of how much health the boss had. There wasn't a single phase that felt the same, which is important for custom bosses. This level leaves one question unanswered: what WAS for dinner that night?
    bossedit8 (9.75/10)
    • Ahh... such a wonderful ghost house on my way and the one that I actually loved! I do like what you did with the whole effects throughout the level like the sleeping moment, special blocks disappearing into ghosts and those purple auras hinting that at this spot that there's evil forces surrounding it. Your multiple pathways and gimmicks you used throughout the level was just well made and there weren't any flaws what so ever and you also did it well with the power-up placements. Secrets were pretty cool and your graphics and music choicements are just perfect for this level. I find your checkpoint placement a bit far from the previous rooms before but at least it's a bit close to the boss of this spooky level. Your boss was very cleverly designed and everything was well done for a big boo boss.
    Chad (9.5/10)
    • This is a really amazing and intriguingly spooky level. It does a brilliant job with taking a seemingly-mundane scenario and turning it into a network of often-changing tricky passageways. I like how one room has appearing and disappearing parts as you travel through, another has you going outside into the blackness to solve the puzzle, and the falling spike room has a really neat design to it while making clever use of donut blocks, Thwomps, and pipe choices. There's even a room with a mirror-esque spot-the-differences gimmick, and one with floor tiles that disappear in sequence to create an illusionary road. It's also impressive how you introduced a fake ceiling in a subtle way and then challenge the player's attention to detail where that knowledge is truly needed, that had me stumped for a bit. The boss is incredible too, and very cinematic. There's a health bar, a very clear set of attacks with a bunch of fake harmless ones that chase you after each time you hit it, and the floor changes to a bunch of slowly moving parts at one point. You even thought to have it teleport the player in the event of being beneath the normal floor when the star appeared. You also pulled off the transparency pretty well, the seldom Mushroom is generous without making the fight cheap, and you even teach the player how to identify the real one when the false clones become more consistent. The main layout of the level in general is great, too. It's polished, enemies are placed really well, and platform arrangements are nicely devised. However, the possessed lamps should have been a bit more obvious, because I encountered them before the Toad explained them to me and they don't stand out much, and neither do the glowing lights. Also, I found the enemies to be difficult to spot in the foggy sections, and the one beyond the mirror seems like it'd be better for a second star rather than a Dragon Coin given the difficulty of finding it.
    Quill (7.6/10)
    • This was a kinda neat take on a ghost house level. I did get a little lost though so a little more indication on what you had to do would have been nice, or maybe I was just dumb. The mirror section was neat, it reminded me of Luna Tower.
    Valtteri (9.5/10)
    • I thought this level succeeded at being threatening, if you know what I mean. The color scheme, the background music, the malfunctioning lights, the living objects and traps make this level a really nice haunted level. The downfall has to be the key puzzle. I had serious trouble figuring it out. While it made sense once I had solved it, it still involved a lot of entering doors that would lead me long away from the puzzle. Having to go through the same rooms over and over ruined it for me. But it wasn't totally unfair or anything like some fan-made ghost houses tend to be, right? This has to be one of the better ghost houses around. I would also like to say that I liked the flashing donut blocks and the false ? blocks.
Video playthrough? Currently on progress if those musical contents are safe to use in YouTube. I'm gonna play it anyway once ToB10 is up.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:48 pm

Illuminati? Really? lol anyway I'll definitely give this a go.

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Great job Marina!!!

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Looks beautiful and creative. <3 I'll definatly play it.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:29 pm

You used the same boss music I was going to use for the boss in my intended CC11 level! O.O Also I found a fatal flaw in the level, if you kill the falling spikes replacing the thwomps with the key in the area where you are supposed to ride them up to the locked door, you're stuck. Aside from that, this level is very creative and it uses gimmicks I would definitely use in a ghost house type level. Overall, good job.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil

Postby Marina » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:30 am

PROX wrote:You used the same boss music I was going to use for the boss in my intended CC11 level! O.O Also I found a fatal flaw in the level, if you kill the falling spikes replacing the thwomps with the key in the area where you are supposed to ride them up to the locked door, you're stuck. Aside from that, this level is very creative and it uses gimmicks I would definitely use in a ghost house type level. Overall, good job.
That's interesting. Not many people know about Catherine, let alone it's underrated soundtrack.

Also I am aware of that bug, however I didn't think too much of it. If you kill those spikes it's your problem lmao. If you really want though, I can upload an updated version of the level once I get back home from vacation.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:20 am

wow, I like the atmosphere, the design is great and the GFX looks great! Can I use that GFX please....
illuminati?

Marina
Cecil
Cecil

Postby Marina » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:29 am

Sure, just give credit please.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:47 am

@everyone saying "lol illuminati": It's because that's what Enjl's SMBX looks like since he took the screen. Afaik there are no illuminatis in the level.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil

Postby Marina » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:11 pm

But only as far as you know ;)

TheKingOfBoos
Panser
Panser

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:05 pm

ShadowStar is still going to give this just a pretty good. Sue me if I'm wrong. :P

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:09 pm

TheKingOfBoos wrote:imnbh4l is still going to give this just a pretty good. Sue me if I'm wrong. :P
ftfy

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:24 pm

TheKingOfBoos wrote:ShadowStar is still going to give this just a pretty good. Sue me if I'm wrong. :P
No, I think this level deserves like a 9/10. Personally, I like zlaker's level more but this level is still great, I'm just not fan of puzzles... (there are some cases when I like them, like this case, it was really well done so I love this level, true it's not a favorite)

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:57 am

@Marina! This is for you! A video playthrough that I made! <3

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_yXlY-yZYc

I wish you a very nice day! <3

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:33 pm

When I congratulated you, I thought you changed the picture because of me. :P
But, a couple of weeks afterwards, I realized that it changes every now and then.

Return to “The Best”