Volcanic Wilds: CC11 3rd Place

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Volcanic Wilds: CC11 3rd Place

Postby SuperMario7 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:21 am

My level for CC11. I'm quite happy with how it turned out and how it did in the contest. Hope you enjoy!

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Reviews:
Spoiler: show
3. SuperMario7 - Volcanic Wilds (9.14/10)
Bomber57 (8.75/10)
A grassy lava level is a theme that surprisingly works well. Probably because green and red are complimentary colors. This level brings a great deal of challenge to the table, but the majority of it is fair to the player. It took a few tries to get used to the lavafalls hurting the player if they stepped on them. The blue yoshi section was very difficult, and its a good thing you put a checkpoint before it. It was also creative, because not many people use blue yoshi the way you did (or at all for that matter). The second blue yoshi section was unecessary, and I feel the level would have been better if it was cut entirely. It simply adds too much after the checkpoint, and with how difficult it is you are bound to die there several times.
bossedit8 (9.25/10)
A wonderful lava based forest and cave section. I really like this level as of how you even overcome with variety of level designs right here. You ride on skull raft, you use P switches to accross coin bridges including enemies throughout the way... variety of enemies I should say which was very nice. I also like that you used the blue Yoshi for flying purposes throughout some of the sections and also later on with the P switch. I do find your dragon coin placements sometimes a bit mean though like one shot at the skull raft since you know you have to go back and then suddenly that dragon coin is unreachable for you to get. Also this level would of been unplayable with Peach, Toad and Link because of the Yoshi segment. and the error with the P switch turning them into a block that's breakable is sadly unavoidable. Also there's a little error with the P switch that if you actually press the P switch at the end of the first cave section and enter the pipe where the halfway point is, there is a bullet bill blaster that has been turned into a red SMB3 coin which was weird.
Chad (9.0/10)
This is a gorgeous level! The amount of detail provided in this volcanic forest/mountain hybrid is astonishing, and the construction is highly complex and tricky. The specific layout in each location really demonstrates that a lot of testing must have gone into every skull raft ride, every P-switch run (the timing and arrangement is perfect for a hard but fair level), and especially the Blue Yoshi flights. I like how the last P-switch run leaves behind a trail of growing giant Piranha Plants, the hazards have clearly strategic placements, and everything put together gives the level a tough but thrilling difficulty alongside a comfortably modest length. It's long enough to be slightly stressful, but not enough to be savagely punishing if you die. However, making lavafall surfaces hurt you, even with a warning, isn't very intuitive when you require the player to pass by background ones on a regular basis. Also, instead of a No Yoshi warp, it would have been good to have a really tall vine (higher than blue Yoshi can fly) leading to the final pipe, as that would be an effective filter.
Quill (9.2/10)
I really enjoyed this level. The atmosphere was really great and the level was fun to play through. The P-Switch and Blue Yoshi segments were not too difficult and were fun to progress through, especially when you combined them both at the end. I thought it was a neat touch. Overall, fantastic job on this level!
Valtteri (9.5/10)
This is a beautiful level that is cleverly designed. A good example of clever design is the falling lava rock platform that will fall into a flamethrower if you stand on it for too long. These small things you don't see many people coming up with make this level extraordinary. I found the P-Switch runs fascinating and the you made fair use of the Blue Yoshi.
Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?ooo54t45sudayq5

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Volcanic Wilds: CC11 3rd Place

Postby zlaker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:34 am

this level sucks because it was better than mine 2/10 This level looks pretty damn awesome! The forest sceneries fits with the level's lava theme too. Congrats on getting 3rd though!

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:39 am

Congratulations on your bronze medal!, this level is amazing, I really love the way it's designed and decorated.

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:41 am

zlakerboy357 wrote:this level sucks because it was better than mine 2/10 This level looks pretty damn awesome! The forest sceneries fits with the level's lava theme too. Congrats on getting 3rd though!
Thank you! I'm glad you (and I think most other people...) liked the forest mixing with lava, cause I was worried it wouldn't make enough sense for people. =P
Ludwig von Koopa wrote:Congratulations on your bronze medal!, this level is amazing, I really love the way it's designed and decorated.
Thanks! I'm happy you enjoyed the level.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:41 am

"VOLCANIC WILDS" made by SuperMario7

REVIEW

LEVEL DESIGN: 9.75/10

That was an incredible level from you, man. Especially once I hear that you'll put this to SML. It was just a volcanic-themed and Yoshi-styled Jungle with hurtful lavafalls, erupted lava and fire-shooting bullet bill launchers. And most of the gimmicks were cooler than usual. Especially riding Blue Yoshi over the lava made me nuts. (Really, it did. :lol:) And the P-Switch parts were almost made a heart attack because the Giganticus Piranhacuses were rising and one wrong move, they'll stay here forever until you hit them with a object. But overall, it was cool. If Marina and Enjl didn't join the contest, you might be the winner, I swear.

GRAPHICS & MUSIC: 10/10

Most of the graphics you've used there fits the whole theme. And the music from DKC was pretty good. But trust me, it didn't fit the level much.

TOTAL: 9.875/10

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks for your review Suckerman7 GM! I'm really happy you like my level. :D I know it's pretty hard (and stressful) but hopefully it's not too bad for a level in a final world.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:16 pm

Wow, you have to be my favorite level maker. I loved the level. Atmosphere was open and creative, and I loved the gimmick. P-switch runs were exciting, and the Yoshi coins were also a nice touch. Obstacles were never boring. I even learned to fly with Yoshi in SMBX on this level haha. I haven't touched SMBX in quite a while, so this was a good level to come back to. Nicely done and congrats on 3rd place!

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks Zeldamaster12! Your comment is super encouraging, I mean, being someone's favorite level maker is obviously a huge compliment. And I know what you mean about learning to fly on the Blue Yoshi, some things in SMBX are so underused. =P Anyway I appreciate the comment. :)

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Certainly one of the better levels I've played, and really polished, but I personally didn't think of it as highly as the judges did.
Don't get me wrong, the length is perfect and the theme is well-executed, but I found it to get rather stale near the end. Throwing Yoshi and giant plants into the switch rides made them easier, and less interesting, and I wish there was one more thing you threw into the mix at some point, something like meteorites falling from the sky from the eruption. Something to fundamentally change the way the player approaches the level near the end, when everything comes to a close.
On an unrelated note, I can't get over it that a volcano erupted, but the plants aren't burning and turning to ash. It wouldn't have had to be just an asthetic thing, as you could've incorporated grinders (or modified platforms, for less noise) which look like fire going up and down trees, serving as an additional platforming challenge.

If I was a contest judge, I'd have given this level an 8.5.

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks for your comment Enjl, I definitely appreciate the feedback.
Enjl wrote:Don't get me wrong, the length is perfect and the theme is well-executed, but I found it to get rather stale near the end. Throwing Yoshi and giant plants into the switch rides made them easier, and less interesting, and I wish there was one more thing you threw into the mix at some point, something like meteorites falling from the sky from the eruption. Something to fundamentally change the way the player approaches the level near the end, when everything comes to a close.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I was taking a more simplistic approach to this level, since some of my previous entries had ambitious parts that some judges didn't like (not you, I know!). I actually had some crazy ideas for this level initially but I didn't end up executing them because of laziness and a lack of time. Plus, I did want to try to make something simpler just to see how it would do.
Enjl wrote:On an unrelated note, I can't get over it that a volcano erupted, but the plants aren't burning and turning to ash. It wouldn't have had to be just an asthetic thing, as you could've incorporated grinders (or modified platforms, for less noise) which look like fire going up and down trees, serving as an additional platforming challenge.
That's a good idea, I wish I thought of that. =P And I guess I didn't really mind the unrealisticality of the theme myself so I didn't really think to change it.
Enjl wrote:If I was a contest judge, I'd have given this level an 8.5.
Seems like a fair score. Thanks for your review!

Sux
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Sux » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Amazing level, this remeber me the smw hacks. Curiously I used almost the same graphics in my level...but I'm not place very well.
The only thing than is a bit annoying is the part of blue yoshi, because is more hard than the most of level.
Mixing trees and lava is pretty nice, but the background colors IMO didn't fit with the tiles
Score: 8,8/10

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:37 am

Thank you for your review Sux! I really appreciate it.
Sux wrote:The only thing than is a bit annoying is the part of blue yoshi, because is more hard than the most of level.
Yeah, I can see what you mean about that part being harder. It was initially even harder than it is now, but I made it easier before I sent it to the judges. I'll look at it and maybe make it a little easier.
Sux wrote:Mixing trees and lava is pretty nice, but the background colors IMO didn't fit with the tiles
Oh, I never really noticed that. Which colors should I change?

Sux
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Sux » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:13 pm

SuperMario7 wrote:Thank you for your review Sux! I really appreciate it.
Sux wrote:The only thing than is a bit annoying is the part of blue yoshi, because is more hard than the most of level.
Yeah, I can see what you mean about that part being harder. It was initially even harder than it is now, but I made it easier before I sent it to the judges. I'll look at it and maybe make it a little easier.
Sux wrote:Mixing trees and lava is pretty nice, but the background colors IMO didn't fit with the tiles
Oh, I never really noticed that. Which colors should I change?
Well, the background colors is black/red. The trees should be recolored the red pallete. But do this how you want, that's only my taste. Since than I think than the green of trees have a odd contrast with the dark red clouds

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 pm

I think all the green scenery and such would fit much better if they had the "dead grass" seen in SMW dead forests.

Lel_06
Rex
Rex

Postby Lel_06 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:57 am

I like this level. Good story, very good graphism and very good music. Difficult but not too. :D

10/10

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:09 am

When I got flying with Yoshi down, it was rather easy in my opinion.

Lel_06
Rex
Rex

Postby Lel_06 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:23 am

It's true that it's not very difficult, but I think it is not the most hard.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm

Lel_06 wrote:I like this level. Good story, very good graphism and very good music. Difficult but not too. :D

10/10
What story.

Also ur reviews aren't that great tbh. They bad imo.

Lel_06
Rex
Rex

Postby Lel_06 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:00 am

It has a small story.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Sinem wrote:
Lel_06 wrote:I like this level. Good story, very good graphism and very good music. Difficult but not too. :D

10/10
What story.
Volcano erupts. Go to the cave!

Return to “The Best”