Moondust Project thread [Support moved]

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
jumpykrusty
Koopa
Koopa

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.15, Engine v0.3.1)

Postby jumpykrusty » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:20 pm
PGE Project was founded long before SMBX2, in 2014. SMBX2 was founded later, in 2016'th year. PGE Project mainly has own independent development flow, and it's not just Editor, there are several apps and tools are part of PGE Project: https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project, and there are integrations and collaborations together with SMBX2 and PGE devkit. SMBX2 is a mod over original SMBX 1.3 bulid while PGE Project has own engine counterpart which is WIP now. PGE was founded with a goal to replace old SMBX at all.
Thank you for explaining the similarities and differences between the PGE Project and SMBX2!

Based on this explanation, I can put an episode made for SMBX 1.3 into a PGE and it will play the same and just as well? But since SMBX2 is not exactly the same as PGE, episodes made for SMBX 2 might not work in PGE and vice versa, is that correct? And if so, are there episodes made specifically made for PGE (where do I find them?) and episodes made specifically made for SMBX2?

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:10 am

jumpykrusty wrote:Based on this explanation, I can put an episode made for SMBX 1.3 into a PGE and it will play the same and just as well? But since SMBX2 is not exactly the same as PGE, episodes made for SMBX 2 might not work in PGE and vice versa, is that correct? And if so, are there episodes made specifically made for PGE (where do I find them?) and episodes made specifically made for SMBX2?

PGE is the editor used by SMBX2. So the answer is the same as for your previous question of 1.3 compatibility in SMBX2. There is no episode made for "just one of these two things" because as of now they're pretty much coherently the same.

Just take note to not use the Alpha Tester in PGE, use the Lunatester instead.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:14 am

Wohlstand wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:20 pm
SMBX2 was founded later, in 2016'th year
Quite impressive feat of us to found it only after the first public version was released (2015).

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:27 pm

Hello! I forgot to announce here, but I had already announced on multiple discord servers and at my twitter: https://twitter.com/Nvd5517/status/1234 ... 86401?s=19

An entire WohlSoft site is down due a strong trouble at my hosting provider called as "Masterhost". I did the full back up of all files and databases from wohlsoft and all subdomains on it, so, no worry, data is in safe. However, while the mainsite is down, SMBX2, SMBX38A and PGE downloads are unavailable now. I'll try to resume work of as soon as possible. Sorry you all for given inconveniences!

P4VL0VSKEY
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: Multi-talented
Pronouns: He/Him

Calibrator: polish translation

Postby P4VL0VSKEY » Sun May 24, 2020 11:09 am

P4VL0VSKEY
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby P4VL0VSKEY » Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 am

Mehwish wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:13 am
Yes Wholstan I agree with point. You must place your individual levels (out of the episode) into the "/sdcard / PGE project / worlds" folder, and they will be shown in the ran game "Spiellevel" menu. Episodes are organized like SMBX, placed in the same folder for "worlds." They will be shown on the single game;);
I agree too.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon May 25, 2020 6:44 am

P4VL0VSKEY wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 am
Mehwish wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:13 am
Yes Wholstan I agree with point. You must place your individual levels (out of the episode) into the "/sdcard / PGE project / worlds" folder, and they will be shown in the ran game "Spiellevel" menu. Episodes are organized like SMBX, placed in the same folder for "worlds." They will be shown on the single game;);
I agree too.

I don't understand what this guy was talking about in the first place. Looking at grammar errors and the fact that they have an ad in their signature, I'm not even sure if this was a serious message.

P4VL0VSKEY
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby P4VL0VSKEY » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:46 am

I'm using this and this is very cool thing. I like it, because it has a lot of content and new things like Airship (Vehicle). At begining I had a problem with Editor's construction and I don't knew where are some settings and NPCs, but I think that was good decision to change. Today, I use only this editor and I create my episodes using it. Great work Sir Wohlstand and I hope that you will upgrade this great project. :D :)

Gersix
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Gersix » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:24 am

Anyway, it also looks like something related to history manager that remembers elements are was added/changed/removed to allow undo/redo your actions from any moment.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Official Moondust Discord server is open!

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi there!

I'm here to announce to you that since now we have the own Discord server!

Feel free to join out Server:
--> https://discord.gg/qPBsvMy <--

Welcome to us!

Please read chat rules before you can see everything on the server!

Join us! ;-)

Magna Rebirth
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Magna Rebirth » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi Wohlstand, glad to see you again and your great progress on this project. I have a couple questions:
• Is this still compatible with an iMac?
• Does the engine work correctly now? Last I used it was still in the alpha stage.
• Did you add anything new that SMBX 1.3 didn't have like new assets?
• Is there compatibility with SMBX 1.4 and 2.0?

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:09 pm

Hello! Gonna to answer your questions:
Magna Rebirth wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:49 pm
Yes! you can take the frest builds at the laboratory (very soon I'll make one another next stable release, so, I do working on documentation right now). Recently I had to upgrade Qt toolkit to improve the support with newer iMacs. I do support for macOS for the rest of my software I produce, include TheXTech, OPL3-BE, OPN2-BE, and libraries.
Magna Rebirth wrote:
• Does the engine work correctly now? Last I used it was still in the alpha stage.
Since 2016 it had the low progress due to my personal biggest fault and the resulted procrastination because of SMBX2 project. However, after recent events* (see details below), I plan to make the major progress on PGE Engine after the documentation work and the stable release.
Magna Rebirth wrote:
Event it still been WIP, it has a dozen of unique features are not available at other engines because of various reasons. Speaking about resources, it's a part of the config pack that may have any content that may don't match to SMBX at all.
Magna Rebirth wrote:
Partial compatibility by some features. That will also depend on a config pack and the functionality that was implemented in it and used by certain episode. No TeaScript support (that is used by SMBX-38A, please don't call it "1.4", it's different and incompatible engine). Lua API of PGE Engine will give the different API and no memory calls (which were useless for it). Keep a note that SMBX-38A and SMBX2 have the different and incompatible resources sets, and therefore, meaning the compatibility with both, will require you use different config packs for different episodes.

The only part that will give guarantee of episode compatibility - the SMBX64 Standard. Episodes that follows the SMBX64 standard will be compatible with all engines and config packs which implementing the standard or supports it.

P.S. After I released TheXTech, I had to change the strategy:
- TheXTech I will keep for the best compatibility with old episodes and levels (especially for those who utilize bugs of old SMBX physics)
- PGE Engine will give the modern and flexible platform for development of new projects that will don't mean the utilize of SMBX's bugs. It will allow playing of old episodes in a condition they don't utilize bugs and glitchy physics of SMBX.

---------
* At December 2019 I desired to reduce my activity at SMBX2 project and focus on PGE Project itself. Then, at January 2 2020, the source code for SMBX 1.3 has been released, I had to quickly pick it up and build the "TheXTech" project.

Magna Rebirth
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Magna Rebirth » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:09 pm
Hello! Gonna to answer your questions:
Magna Rebirth wrote:
Yes! you can take the frest builds at the laboratory (very soon I'll make one another next stable release, so, I do working on documentation right now). Recently I had to upgrade Qt toolkit to improve the support with newer iMacs. I do support for macOS for the rest of my software I produce, include TheXTech, OPL3-BE, OPN2-BE, and libraries.
Magna Rebirth wrote:
Since 2016 it had the low progress due to my personal biggest fault and the resulted procrastination because of SMBX2 project. However, after recent events* (see details below), I plan to make the major progress on PGE Engine after the documentation work and the stable release.
Magna Rebirth wrote:
Event it still been WIP, it has a dozen of unique features are not available at other engines because of various reasons. Speaking about resources, it's a part of the config pack that may have any content that may don't match to SMBX at all.
Magna Rebirth wrote:
Partial compatibility by some features. That will also depend on a config pack and the functionality that was implemented in it and used by certain episode. No TeaScript support (that is used by SMBX-38A, please don't call it "1.4", it's different and incompatible engine). Lua API of PGE Engine will give the different API and no memory calls (which were useless for it). Keep a note that SMBX-38A and SMBX2 have the different and incompatible resources sets, and therefore, meaning the compatibility with both, will require you use different config packs for different episodes.

The only part that will give guarantee of episode compatibility - the SMBX64 Standard. Episodes that follows the SMBX64 standard will be compatible with all engines and config packs which implementing the standard or supports it.

P.S. After I released TheXTech, I had to change the strategy:
- TheXTech I will keep for the best compatibility with old episodes and levels (especially for those who utilize bugs of old SMBX physics)
- PGE Engine will give the modern and flexible platform for development of new projects that will don't mean the utilize of SMBX's bugs. It will allow playing of old episodes in a condition they don't utilize bugs and glitchy physics of SMBX.

---------
* At December 2019 I desired to reduce my activity at SMBX2 project and focus on PGE Project itself. Then, at January 2 2020, the source code for SMBX 1.3 has been released, I had to quickly pick it up and build the "TheXTech" project.
Thank you for your quick and detailed response. I will be looking forward to watching this project grow and can't wait for the day the engine will be completed.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

New stable release!

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:32 pm

The new official release of the Moondust Project (PGE Project) was out!

Details here: https://wohlsoft.ru/news/post-27.html
And here: https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project ... tag/v0.4.3

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Re: New stable release!

Postby Taycamgame » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:19 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:32 pm
The new official release of the Moondust Project (PGE Project) was out!

Details here: https://wohlsoft.ru/news/post-27.html
And here: https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project ... tag/v0.4.3
Hint to others: to download the update quickly, run the Update-PGE tool found in the PGE folder. :)

As always I'll update asap. Does this attempt to fix the slowdown / increased battery usage when animations are enabled?

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: New stable release!

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:39 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:19 pm
Hint to others: to download the update quickly, run the Update-PGE tool found in the PGE folder.
This is valid for the copy at SMBX2. Standalone installations getting updated by online installer, or by manual update of a portable archive.
Taycamgame wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:19 pm
As always I'll update asap. Does this attempt to fix the slowdown / increased battery usage when animations are enabled?
No, because this requires the major rework to resolve this issue completely, it's put for long future, not for now. The workaround for now is just disabling the animation (Find the check at "View" menu and disable it).

In nearest future I'll do almost nothing at Editor and I will put the full focus on the Engine.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus

Re: Moondust Project thread (Editor v0.3.2, Engine v0.3.3)

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Personally I'd suggest changing the shortcut for zooming in and out to CTRL+mousewheel, and relegate the left-right scroll shortcut to ALT+mousewheel, basically a swap of these two shortcuts. I've used CTRL+mousewheel for zooming in and out in applications like Inkscape and PaintDotNET, however seeing the opposite of that in PGE is not really something I'm used to imo. You can include an option for swapping these two shortcuts if you want, especially if there are some users that still use the old control style.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:21 pm

FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:16 pm
Personally I'd suggest changing the shortcut for zooming in and out to CTRL+mousewheel, and relegate the left-right scroll shortcut to ALT+mousewheel, basically a swap of these two shortcuts. I've used CTRL+mousewheel for zooming in and out in applications like Inkscape and PaintDotNET, however seeing the opposite of that in PGE is not really something I'm used to imo. You can include an option for swapping these two shortcuts if you want, especially if there are some users that still use the old control style.
0) Hello! :)
1) The project is no longer "PGE", the "Moondust Project" is now
2) Technically, you are right, I should use the Ctrl+wheel to zoom in/out as in most the other programs. Anyway, there is still a task to implement the hot-keys changing ability that wasn't done for a while, mainly to allow users to change any hotkeys on theirs taste. Good the fact it's pretty quick to reprogram this behavior, takes few changes in the code.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:38 pm

That's good to know :P
Though I still use PGE to refer to the editor in SMBX2 at most.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:28 pm

Just asking, when did you changed the program name? IIRC it was "Platformer Game Editor" before, but yea I like the current name. Should I call it MP or something? hehe

Return to “General”