RP Discussion Thread

Share your own stories or make them up together.
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

RP Discussion Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:08 am

Welcome to the RP discussion thread. Everything related to the RP board can be talked about here, including out-of-character discussion on current RPs.

I hope everybody is hyped for The Invasion!!!

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Re: RP Discussion Thread

Postby Bomber57 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:10 am

I just remembered the date. We're real close now!

Only two more exams. Hope I make it ;~;

HeroOfRhyme
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:23 am

I love roleplaying, actually. As long as it's open world and not closed. I like having my own character that's not mario based and making my own world to rp in.

That's why I havent participated in anything right now. I would like to help and roleplay a bit though, I have a creative mind enough to think of cool things for roleplaying.

I just don't like that how it is now, is closed world Mario based since even though this is a mario forum, more things can come from a general any-type based RP.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:43 am

Many people have developed complex ideas and stories surrounding the Marioverse, so I have a hard time believing any argument for "the Marioverse isn't diverse/open enough".

The Marioverse makes it easier for our RPs to exist within the same canon. Having anything more than that would make things really scattered and disorganized.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:33 pm

Joey wrote:The Marioverse makes it easier for our RPs to exist within the same canon. Having anything more than that would make things really scattered and disorganized.
Other forums allow it and things don't get out of hand. Plus, two of my roleplays connect the Mario universe with others either through portals or different planets.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:06 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Joey wrote:The Marioverse makes it easier for our RPs to exist within the same canon. Having anything more than that would make things really scattered and disorganized.
Other forums allow it and things don't get out of hand. Plus, two of my roleplays connect the Mario universe with others either through portals or different planets.
Just because others forums do it "successfully" doesn't mean it will be as successful here. I have seen countless crossover roleplays in the SMBX community and they have been enormous messes. Freeform roleplay is a good thing and all (I'm a fan of fantasy freeform where you do worldbuilding and lorebuilding as it goes on, but I digress) but it takes time, dedication and general ability to pull it off well. Not that I am judging anyone's ability to roleplay, yet.

I still fail to see how the "Marioverse not being diverse enough to create a unique character" especially when so many other people have created unique and interesting fan characters for this roleplay and in writing beyond. You guys must not be trying hard enough.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:06 pm

On the subject of characters, we have some really good ones in the character thread. I'm excited to see where these guys will go.

HeroOfRhyme
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:43 pm

It's not that I'm not trying hard enough, it's that I don't want to try when there is no point doing something I wont have fun doing. I'm not saying Marioverse is no fun or anything, sure it's lots of fun for everyone but I don't find fun in it tbh, since if I wanted to do a mario rp I could just play Mario RPG or something, and actually be the characters. Sure it's unique and what not but I would rather be who I'm used to being rather than make a new character just specifically based for this universe.

Understand what I'm getting at?

It's not that I don't want to try or ain't trying hard enough, it's that I dont feel any obligation to try period as much as I want to if I need to bring a whole new mindset to it.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:41 pm

I get what you're saying, but why do you think the Marioverse is less fun?

HeroOfRhyme
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:22 pm

Joey wrote:I get what you're saying, but why do you think the Marioverse is less fun?
[sub][/sub]
I didn't credit it as less fun, I understand it's fun in its own rights, but it's just not really what I'm looking for in an rp specifically. I'm just saying it's not fun to me because not what I want to do.

To make it less of a burden, keep in marioverse for everyone else so there is no need to change it just for one person. I won't ask you to change it just for me, but give it thought as a whole community thing for people to choose a universe they would like to develop their character and rp in.

Like if it was FFverse then I would do something or Zeldaverse would be interesting. It's just my taste in rp.

LemonOtter

Postby LemonOtter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:20 pm

I honestly don't see why it shouldn't be just the Mario franchise.

SMBX is after all, a Mario game, and the only included non Mario items are Zelda and Metroid for the most part. And even though link is playable, he's barely available.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 pm

LemonOtter wrote:I honestly don't see why it shouldn't be just the Mario franchise.

SMBX is after all, a Mario game, and the only included non Mario items are Zelda and Metroid for the most part. And even though link is playable, he's barely available.
While this may be the official SMBX forums, in the community's long history it has really evolved beyond that. SMBX is still a prevalent element but its really just a community of friends so to speak.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:58 pm

Look, I know we haven't been on the best of terms. In fact, I actually argued with you today. But please Joey, with no recourse other than to beg,

Please let Blue back, at least for the roleplays.

This isn't just a "were freinds" thing. Blue was the best thing to happen to the old series "The Unknown Adventure". His character was the first to have a good backstory, mysterious motivations, be a creative organism design, and insert plot into the story. Plus, he led a wildly successful roleplay of 400+ pages, and his character always had good retorts against the situation, and it was even a believably-played game character.

So as you can see, Blue would be great for everybody, not just me. Please consider letting him back and restricting his posting rights to this section only.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Not happening, sorry. Please don't bring it up again.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:06 am

In case you guys haven't seen yet, The Invasion is open and ready for characters to join! Just post a link to the bio of your approved character and they'll be in the RP. Read the intro if you haven't yet, and the RP will likely start tomorrow night.

Muyoko
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Muyoko » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:26 pm

Joey wrote:In case you guys haven't seen yet, The Invasion is open and ready for characters to join! Just post a link to the bio of your approved character and they'll be in the RP. Read the intro if you haven't yet, and the RP will likely start tomorrow night.
I have replied, though I feel like me trying to expand on my character will have to wait until she gets to know everyone.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:11 am

Do the characters have to be on Mario's side? I mean, if they weren't, they wouldn't come to his house, would they? And imo it'd add more character variation to the cast.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:35 am

For this RP specifically, yes, all characters must be good guys. Having to have a parallel progression for villains is too much at this point.

Alicia Jewel
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Alicia Jewel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:38 pm

I feel kinda awkward posting this since I'm new and only just joined the RP, but what do you guys think of maintaining some kind of posting order? I've noticed that a few people have gotten into conversations in the RP that should logically be cut off by Mario explaining things (assuming he does), and I feel like keeping that up will make the timeline of the RP wonky, especially for those of us who can only be on at certain times.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Alicia Jewel wrote:I feel kinda awkward posting this since I'm new and only just joined the RP, but what do you guys think of maintaining some kind of posting order? I've noticed that a few people have gotten into conversations in the RP that should logically be cut off by Mario explaining things (assuming he does), and I feel like keeping that up will make the timeline of the RP wonky, especially for those of us who can only be on at certain times.
I don't think we need a strict posting order but I get what you mean. I don't want to see like two pages pop up overnight because two people got into a conversation. Trust me, I've had to deal with it before.

Return to “Fan Fiction and Roleplaying”